Author Topic: Health benefits of jaboticaba skins  (Read 10195 times)

bradflorida

• Osprey, FL. Zone 10A.
    • View Profile
Health benefits of jaboticaba skins
« on: July 25, 2012, 10:25:06 PM »
I found an interesting article on the health benefits of jaboticaba skins. The skin contains higher levels of antioxidants than most other tropical fruits.  Nowhere in the article did it mention any health risk of consuming the skins. 

www.scielo.br/pdf/cta/v31n4/06.pdf

Brad
Brad

bradflorida

• Osprey, FL. Zone 10A.
    • View Profile
Re: Health benefits of jaboticaba skins
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2012, 10:43:47 PM »
Another article published by NIH reinforces the health benefits of consuming jabo fruits in their entirety (skins,seeds,flesh) for the health benefits.  Reinforces the high antioxidant content of the skins.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/22173652/

Brad
Brad

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2012, 11:05:42 PM »
Hi Brad, thanks for the links. That's interesting. Previous authors, like Morton, said that jaboticaba skins eaten in quantity were toxic:

"Regular, quantity consumption of the [jaboticaba] skins should be avoided because of the high tannin content, inasmuch as tannin is antinutrient and carcinogenic if intake is frequent and over a long period of time."
http://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/morton/jaboticabas.html/#Toxicity

Your first link is about making jelly from the skins. So the skins are cooked, not consumed fresh, so that could possibly decrease tannin content.
Your second link seems to only talk about safety of eating skin, doesn't mention seeds. But hard to tell since it's only an abstract.
Oscar

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2012, 12:32:53 AM »
Hi Brad, thanks for the links. That's interesting. Previous authors, like Morton, said that jaboticaba skins eaten in quantity were toxic:

"Regular, quantity consumption of the [jaboticaba] skins should be avoided because of the high tannin content, inasmuch as tannin is antinutrient and carcinogenic if intake is frequent and over a long period of time."
http://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/morton/jaboticabas.html/#Toxicity

Your first link is about making jelly from the skins. So the skins are cooked, not consumed fresh, so that could possibly decrease tannin content.
Your second link seems to only talk about safety of eating skin, doesn't mention seeds. But hard to tell since it's only an abstract.
When I make jabo jelly I cook the fruit down, skins and all, and "mash" the skins too to get all of the flavor and color out of them.  The finished jelly product has absolutely no tannin content whatsoever.
- Rob

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2012, 08:34:26 AM »
once I made jabo jam with only red jabo, and using no skin!

the color ended up being a whitish/ peachy color, and the jam was amazing.

it's just way to hard to remove skins, it takes forever, and it seems like 1/2 of the juice is left around the seed ( which I Had to extract and save every one of).

red jabo jam is even harder to make because seeds can't be sacrificed...they're too precious
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

KarenRei

• Arctic Member
    • Reykjavík, Iceland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2012, 09:20:18 AM »
Well, the problem with tannins is that they're anti-nutrients.  They chelate metals and precipitate proteins.  So yes, they're dangerous to consume in bulk.  As for small quantities, however, the research really looks to be out on that one.  There's studies implicating them as both carcinogens and anti-carcinogens, for example.  I'm not aware of any net studies on long-term lifespan changes of tannin consumption, and I imagine it depends greatly on which tannin.

On the downside: It should be noted that a lot of the research on antioxidants themselves in recent years has thrown up the question as to whether dietary antioxidants (as opposed to in-vitro) are actually good for anything or even harmful.

On the upside: some food products widely held to be healthy (both by the general public and by most scientific literature), such as tea, are tannin-rich.  So clearly the whole family of chemicals can't be too bad, and could even be of benefit.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2012, 09:38:55 AM by KarenRei »
Já, ég er ađ rćkta suđrćnar plöntur á Íslandi. Nei, ég er ekki klikkuđ. Jćja, kannski...

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2012, 10:40:01 PM »
To Bolivian folk music enthusiasts,

Cunumisita linda, que tienes ojos de guapurú
Dame el encanto de tu boquita, dulce de achachairú

Ya veras que lindo es, Amarse con devosion
Mi amor te lo dare, con todo el corazon.

Loosely translates to “Cute young lady with eyes like a Jaboticaba, give me the charm of your mouth,  sweet like Achacha. You’ll see how nice it is loving with devotion, I’ll love you with all my heart.”

It is not just the skin that has powers, references to Jabs can be used to woo the fairer sex.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2012, 10:47:45 PM »
To Bolivian folk music enthusiasts,

Cunumisita linda, que tienes ojos de guapurú
Dame el encanto de tu boquita, dulce de achachairú

Ya veras que lindo es, Amarse con devosion
Mi amor te lo dare, con todo el corazon.

Loosely translates to “Cute young lady with eyes like a Jaboticaba, give me the charm of your mouth,  sweet like Achacha. You’ll see how nice it is loving with devotion, I’ll love you with all my heart.”

It is not just the skin that has powers, references to Jabs can be used to woo the fairer sex.

Is this part of the new advertising campaign for achacha in Australia? Or how did you come upon this gem of Bolivian folk music?  8)
Oscar

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2012, 11:13:50 PM »
Oscar a friend with a passion for the obscure sent it to me after collecting jabs from my trees.He has many strange interests and traditional Bolivian folk music must be one of them.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2012, 05:51:51 PM »

I don';t know what I'll do with the wheelbarrow loads of sabara jabs coming on to my 3 trees.They are developing much more slowly in winter.

One tree is very impatient getting the next crop before the last has completely finished.

Tim

• Global Moderator
    • USA, Escondido, CA 92027, zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2012, 11:42:20 PM »
Have you tried making jam with them?  What about jabo raisin? Or better yet, ferment them and have your own jab wine
Tim

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2012, 12:52:19 AM »
Tim thanks for the suggestions and I will try raisins and jam but I am better at drinking wine than making it.Invariably most get wasted as they all come on together.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2012, 02:35:25 AM »
Tim thanks for the suggestions and I will try raisins and jam but I am better at drinking wine than making it.Invariably most get wasted as they all come on together.

You can freeze the whole lot and then slowly do whatever you want to do with them: juice, jam, wine, liquour, etc.
Oscar

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk