Tropical Fruit Forum - International Tropical Fruit Growers

Author Topic: rarest papaya on earth. palanda papaya  (Read 3138 times)

lebmung

• Romania, Bucharest,7b
    • View Profile
    • Plante tropicale
Re: rarest papaya on earth. palanda papaya
« Reply #50 on: October 05, 2017, 04:38:46 AM »

[/quote] I wonder if Joseph Simcox was the one that got them to Baker Creek.
[/quote]

Most probably. One really need to hunt them, they have a narrow grow space that even the locals don't know where to pick them.
I tried to contact him, but his website is down. I saw his pictures with the vascocelleas it seems like he took them last year in the winter.

lebmung

• Romania, Bucharest,7b
    • View Profile
    • Plante tropicale
« Reply #51 on: October 14, 2017, 06:46:21 PM »
Does any one have more seeds left V. palandensis ? I want to grow it as well, Baker Creek doesn't have the seeds anymore, and neither J Simcox.

Now about "Mita" Vasconcellea candicans I found more information in Spanish. It seems like is Critically Endangered, with only few spots in Peru and one location in Ecuador left. The plant is dioecious. What is very interesting is that it grows leaves in the humid season and when the dry season comes it drops all of them then it starts to flower. Finally it sets fruit with very little leaves left when the soil is very dry. It grows on very poor soils and it might be very hardy. maybe 20F. It is not cultivated.
For those who bought the seeds I have bad news: the seeds don't germinate (around 0.5%). They have a very low germination rate, not that they are bad or nonviable, but because the have some germination inhibitors making the plant very difficult to propagate.
The good news is that is possible to germinate it "in vitro" though embryo rescue with good results.
I have only 10 seeds to make this attempt. If anyone else is trying this let me know we can share some research.

noochka1

• Miramar, FL 10b/11?
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 14, 2017, 07:50:11 PM »
I'm afraid I don't have any more seeds, but I do have 7 plants.  If they manage to reach fruiting size I will be happy to send you some seeds :-)

lebmung

• Romania, Bucharest,7b
    • View Profile
    • Plante tropicale
« Reply #53 on: October 15, 2017, 12:58:04 PM »
Thanks for the offer, I'll hopefully wait. I hope your plants will fruit. But it takes 2 years, and you need both males and females. Use large containers, rather than directly planted into soil. They have the same requirements of Barack, which I grow. Remember not to water too much during cold nights.
Just use misting several times a day, they get eater from their leaves. Papillon is from pre-montane humid forests with a very draining soil. They get the water from air.
I would add that this is a rare occasions to gets this plans as not many people venture into the jungle.
J Simcox climbed 3 hours into humid jungle to collect them. There is only one location at 1850m altitude. I don't think there will be another guy going there again. Pretty soon the logging companies will reach that site. So I expect in the next 10 years to become extinct.
The plant was discovered by Belgian reaserachers in 1995. The original trees were cut down two years later. In 1997 they found another spot not far away.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 12:19:48 PM by lebmung »

Jesssfl27

• Miami, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 05, 2017, 11:33:04 PM »
Hello!

I came across this thread while doing some research. I was wondering how everyone’s seedlings were doing. I got a packet of seeds from baker creek and started them back in may. Only one seedling made it and is about a foot tall and looking good. Seeing as I need male and female, I bought more seeds from TWF but I’m having trouble with getting them to germinate.

noochka1

• Miramar, FL 10b/11?
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 06, 2017, 06:24:48 AM »
Mine are doing well.  3 are about a foot as well, and one seems to be lagging behind at 5" or so.  Germination was very, very sketchy. 

Regards,
Scott

Copyright © Tropical Fruit Forum - International Tropical Fruit Growers