Author Topic: Dragon Fruit David Bowie  (Read 2321 times)

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
Dragon Fruit David Bowie
« on: May 31, 2017, 07:05:07 PM »
I don't know anyone is growing this DF. I have been unable to taste it.  I like to grow a while one but I don't care for the White Jaina. I wonder if anyone in the forum is growing it and can tell me how accurate is the Pine Island viewer on this. 

David Bowie is a slender white variety that has a sweet and tangy flavor that is somewhat lemony. The fruit are medium to large weighing up to a pound. This variety is best eaten fresh, but it would be good for juicing or garnishing as well. It is variety is self pollinating.

In addition it gives it 5 starts for flavor and home planting, as compare to 2 stars for flavor on the Jaina.
Carlos
 Tweeter: @carlosdlt280
www.myavocadotrees.com
zone 10a Miami-Dade County

Johnny Eat Fruit

• So. California, Huntington Beach. Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Dragon Fruit David Bowie
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2017, 08:16:55 PM »
I tried growing it in the ground for over one year but gave up after very little growth. Pulled it out and put something more vigorous in( Sugar Dragon AKA Paul Thomson S8) which grows very well. Perhaps others had more luck than I with David Bowie.

Johnny

LEOOEL

• USA, South Florida, Miami, Temperature Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2017, 03:31:30 PM »
I would suggest copying their Dragon Fruit growing configuration for best fruit production results.

Their configuration consists of:
(1) A circular wood pole that goes through the center of a large Plastic Pot, and into the ground.
(2) The Pot (with pole going through it) is filled with quality dirt
(3) Several pieces of the David Bowie Dragon Fruit are planted around the pole (which, yes, is vertically inside Pot going into the ground), and touching the pole.

I have the David Bowie Dragon Fruit. According to P.I.N., it's very productive although the fruit size is smallish, with a quality sweet taste. Based on their description, I decided on getting this variety.

My configuration is similar but omits the large Potting Pot, which I believe may have been a mistake on my part.

For the past 3 years, I've been getting beautiful flowers, but so far no fruit. I'll probably give it 2-3 more years to produce fruit. And, if no fruit in 2-3 years, I plan to exactly copy the P.I.N. Dragon Fruit Configuration described above, and give the 'David Bowie' Dragon Fruit Variety one last chance.
'Virtue' should be taught, learned and propagated, in order to save others and oneself.

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2017, 03:52:29 PM »
Leo so far I have not heard of anyone with good results with this DF.  I have a couple of branches in a pot but I'm reluctant to use my last spot on it.
Carlos
 Tweeter: @carlosdlt280
www.myavocadotrees.com
zone 10a Miami-Dade County

LEOOEL

• USA, South Florida, Miami, Temperature Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2017, 10:57:10 PM »
Yes, something's not right. The PIN website says that it's very productive. It grows profusely, but flower quantity has been low. About a week ago, about 8 flowers came and went, and no fruit. After several years, I've yet to get even one DF from this variety; it's started to feel like a big letdown; patience is wearing a bit thin.

I'm thinking of giving it heavy doses of fertilizer to see if I can finally get it to produce fruit.

Leo so far I have not heard of anyone with good results with this DF.  I have a couple of branches in a pot but I'm reluctant to use my last spot on it.
'Virtue' should be taught, learned and propagated, in order to save others and oneself.