Author Topic: Lemon Zest refrigerated for 19 days! Lives to tell the tale  (Read 1619 times)

mangomandan

• When a man is tired of mangos, he is tired of life
    • USA, Lake Worth, Florida, 33461, 10a
    • View Profile
Before I left on vacation I put a ripe LZ from my tree in the fridge.

When I got home it still looked perfect, and was delicious.
So, N=1  does not make a consensus, and I wonder if others have found this to be true.

Keeping well as a ripe mango might add to its potential for commercial use.

Incidentally, ripe Dots also keep well in the fridge. Eventually they wrinkle, but the flavor is still great.

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
Re: Lemon Zest refrigerated for 19 days! Lives to tell the tale
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2017, 09:23:32 AM »

So, N=1  does not make a consensus, and I wonder if others have found this to be true.

Incidentally, ripe Dots also keep well in the fridge. Eventually they wrinkle, but the flavor is still great.

Nothing like having such a treat to come home to!  I'll be harvesting Lemon Zest for the first time very soon.  Any advice you can give me regarding the right time to pull the fruit is appreciated --- like partially colored, fully colored, lots of green still.

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2017, 10:05:21 AM »

I have had different fruits and mangoes sweeten up under refrigeration. It is slow but it takes place.

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2017, 02:17:57 PM »
Wow, that's great to know! Chris from Truly Tropical said in her video about Po Pyu Kalay that refrigeration can be detrimental to the the flavor of PPK. Perhaps LZ holds up better under refrigeration.

Simon

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2017, 09:17:11 PM »
Wow, that's great to know! Chris from Truly Tropical said in her video about Po Pyu Kalay that refrigeration can be detrimental to the the flavor of PPK. Perhaps LZ holds up better under refrigeration.

Simon

Cold temps dull the tongues ability to taste sweetness.  I have sat refrigerated fruits on the counter for a few hours to good effect.  I have had some fruit in the fridge since July 4 (11dqys) and most have been ok.  All else being equal, refrigeration is a last resort for me.

mangomandan

• When a man is tired of mangos, he is tired of life
    • USA, Lake Worth, Florida, 33461, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2017, 09:51:42 AM »
I agree that refrigeration can dull the taste, and I generally eat mangos at room temperature. But I think a highly-flavored mango can hold up well to being chilled, and be quite refreshing.

Kind of the way eating melted orange sherbet could be less inspiring than eating it frozen.

But then, when in Spain (or Italy) I am that ugly American who wants his Coke Zero ice cold.