Author Topic: pitangatuba cultivars  (Read 2100 times)

azorean

• Portugal, Azores, São Roque do Pico
    • View Profile
pitangatuba cultivars
« on: August 15, 2017, 01:03:00 PM »
Hello, I have these two pitangatuba plants, from two different Portuguese sources and they seem quite distinct to me. This is the first time they are fruiting, I am very excited but still have to guess the flavor. From the pictures is any of you able to identify which cultivars they are? I know it may be too premature to speak of 'cultivars', but I know there is a discussion about rounder and longer-shaped fruits...

plant 1

plant 2

plant 1

plant 2

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: pitangatuba cultivars
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2017, 10:46:29 PM »
I dont know that there are any true named cultivars.  I know there is a lot of variability from seed and witboit grafting, would be tough to replicate the seedling from seed.

With that being said, I really like the look of your Plant #2.  The fruit looks very different too.  Please take pictures of the ripe fruit of Plant #2 and let us know how it tastes and compared to the taste of Plant #1.
- Rob

Solko

• Zone 8b-9a
    • Europe
    • View Profile
    • Visual Art
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2017, 07:51:56 AM »
Hi Azorean, your plants look very interesting and different from each other.
My 5 year old Pitangatuba fruited for the first time this year, two fruits of the long type, I got seeds from Helton from Brazil in 2012.

Grown in a windowsill, taste: very tropical, hints of mango, citrus, sweet and acidic, but not overly so, with definite funky undertones of wet towels, vomit and stale cheap wine. Different, but very interesting. The consistency of the flesh was very juicy and a bit fibrous. It had a nice bite, but was extremely fragile.

Keep us posted on the development of your fruits.

Solko

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2017, 11:45:20 AM »
I've got seedlings from the same source and seed batch that have very different looking foliage and leaf size and growth habits. I assume this is the nature of planting Pitangatuba seeds. I think fruit and flavor will differ as well, just much variation in seedlings which has been previously mentioned.

eyeckr

• Virginia Beach, VA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2017, 02:04:45 PM »
LOL about your description Solko!! "wet towels, vomit and stale cheap wine" ;D Sounds more like a rockin' weekend!

azorean

• Portugal, Azores, São Roque do Pico
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2017, 12:30:59 PM »
Hi Azorean, your plants look very interesting and different from each other.
My 5 year old Pitangatuba fruited for the first time this year, two fruits of the long type, I got seeds from Helton from Brazil in 2012.

Grown in a windowsill, taste: very tropical, hints of mango, citrus, sweet and acidic, but not overly so, with definite funky undertones of wet towels, vomit and stale cheap wine. Different, but very interesting. The consistency of the flesh was very juicy and a bit fibrous. It had a nice bite, but was extremely fragile.

Keep us posted on the development of your fruits.

Solko

Hello! so I finally tried a pitnagatuba from plant 1 above. Describing the taste is very subjective, but here I go... It tasted like passion fruit, Spondias monbin and a bit of Physallis, with hints of citrus and peach. Very 'tropical' indeed. Just enough sweetness and acidity. A bit of a resinous after taste. Juicy and fibrous flesh and indeed fragile consistency.

Solko

• Zone 8b-9a
    • Europe
    • View Profile
    • Visual Art
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2017, 06:40:23 AM »
Nice report, Azorean.

It looks like your plant 1 has a much rounder fruit type than my plant. And your plant 2 also has a fruit set like I have not seen before. My plant just had it's third bloom this year and one fruit is setting, but already in that stage my fruits look very elongated compared to yours.

I'm curious to hear your report on plant 2!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk