Author Topic: fruit/tree royalities question?  (Read 1702 times)

boxturtle

• usa, ca. garden grove Orange County
    • View Profile
fruit/tree royalities question?
« on: September 03, 2017, 08:23:24 PM »
how does it work? when are you suppose to pay royalities? when you sell and use the name of the trademark/patent fruit or sell the trees?

for example if I sell a sweetheart lychees airlayered tree and use the name do I have to pay royalties? how about when I sell sweetheart fruits  by it's name.  Of course this is for commercial retail and just not from my backyard haha just wishful thinking just want to know the legalities if one of these day it happens :)

like always thanks ahead of time... I tried googling and search for info on this forum but couldn't find anything

Daintree

• Boise, Idaho - zone 6, with a zone 12 greenhouse...
    • View Profile
Re: fruit/tree royalities question?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2017, 09:24:48 PM »
I think you have to get the license before you take cuttings or do air layering.  Here is what the Oregon State University Extension Service says -

"A patent legally prevents others from reproducing the protected plant variety by cuttings, tissue culture or any other method of asexual propagation without the written authorization or licensing of the patent holder. Possession of improperly propagated plants of patented varieties constitutes infringement, even if an illegal propagation was inadvertent.
Though asexual reproduction may be prohibited on a patented cultivar, there is no regulation against using the plant in sexual reproduction. In other words, the seed or pollen from a patented variety may be used without permission of the patent holder. The offspring are free of patent regulations.
To determine if a plant is patented, look for a patent number on the tag, or PPAF (plant patent applied for) or PVR (plant variety rights) after the name of the cultivar. Or sometimes there are other indicators that a patent has been applied for, such as “patent pending.”
If a plant is patented, a license is required from the patent holder in order to make cuttings of that plant, even if it is planted in your own back yard. Unlike with a copyright, there is no concept of “fair use rights” for patents in the United States."

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2017, 09:46:58 PM »
Well written.

The patent is on the genetic package as a whole of that variety, not on the individual markers;  so as soon as reshuffling occurs (during plant sex) all is immediately fair to use.
Har

TonyinCC

• Trying to enjoy home grown fruit 12 months a year
    • Cape Coral,FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2017, 06:29:21 AM »
Curious how the law would apply in the case of a plant like a banana that propagates itself naturally with no interference from the grower.
 It would seem preposterous to have to kill off a banana patch after the main stem bears and dies.....

Daintree

• Boise, Idaho - zone 6, with a zone 12 greenhouse...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2017, 09:19:52 AM »
Good question!  Two guesses -
Maybe with bananas, the patents are for tissue culture?
Also, maybe the countries that use tissue culture may not fall under US patent law?
Either way, I am certainly not chopping down my banana pups!

Carolyn

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2017, 10:23:45 AM »
Curious how the law would apply in the case of a plant like a banana that propagates itself naturally with no interference from the grower.
 It would seem preposterous to have to kill off a banana patch after the main stem bears and dies.....

Its the same thing for blackberries.  They have primeocane blackberries that are patented that spread lie weeds.  You just aren't supposed to cut them up and make new plants.  I actually emailed monrovia nursery who sells the plants and asked about it propogating it.  They basically said we can't even talk about propogating it since its patented.  You are on your own.
Brad Spaugh

MarvelMango

• Bokeelia 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2017, 06:41:40 PM »
If you bought the plant it's yours. I think the patent just prevents you from legally propagating and selling the plants.
Quentin

boxturtle

• usa, ca. garden grove Orange County
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2017, 10:39:37 AM »
so just the plant and not the fruits right?