Author Topic: Post Hurricane Recovery  (Read 1801 times)

Mr. Clean

• FLMangos.com
    • US, FL, West Palm Beach, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
    • Florida's Finest Mangos
Post Hurricane Recovery
« on: September 06, 2017, 08:59:31 PM »
For those who with fruit trees that may be affected by a hurricane...a few thoughts on recovery.

If a branch or main trunk is broken off during a storm, it may be best to prune off the damaged portion, leaving a clean cut.  This may speed the healing process.  The jagged break provides a larger surface for insect infestation and disease entry.  Cuts should not be into the collar of a branch.

If you apply fertilizer, reduce the fertilizer to reflect the new canopy size.  You risk chemically burning the tree with too much fertilizer.

From my experience, trees susceptible to flooding... avocado, starfruit, sapodilla, and papaya.

Trees that can withstand some flooding:  mango and jackfruit.

Best wishes to all!
www.FLMangos.com

110+ fruit trees/plants; 60+ mango trees; 9 jackfruit; 6 avocado; 3 persimmon; longan; and a dog that keeps raccoons and squirrels away.

Vernmented

• Starry Nursery/Plant Hoarder/Zone Pusher/Biochar Enthusiast
    • USA, Florida, Sarasota, 9B/10A
    • View Profile
    • Starry Nursery Instagram
Re: Post Hurricane Recovery
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2017, 09:05:30 PM »
I thought sapodilla had excellent flood tolerance. I have seen jackfruit get more root damage from flooding than other commonly grown tropicals. I could be wrong though.
-Josh

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2017, 09:28:11 PM »
I thought sapodilla had excellent flood tolerance. I have seen jackfruit get more root damage from flooding than other commonly grown tropicals. I could be wrong though.

Correct on the sapodilla having very good tolerance.  Jackfruit like to be wateted but dont take too kindly to be outright flooded..
- Rob

Vernmented

• Starry Nursery/Plant Hoarder/Zone Pusher/Biochar Enthusiast
    • USA, Florida, Sarasota, 9B/10A
    • View Profile
    • Starry Nursery Instagram
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2017, 10:07:26 PM »
-Josh

Mr. Clean

• FLMangos.com
    • US, FL, West Palm Beach, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
    • Florida's Finest Mangos
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2017, 10:52:42 PM »
During Hurricane Isaac, my Bangkok Lemon tolerated flooding well.  My Ox Sapodilla, died from flooding. 

www.FLMangos.com

110+ fruit trees/plants; 60+ mango trees; 9 jackfruit; 6 avocado; 3 persimmon; longan; and a dog that keeps raccoons and squirrels away.

FruitFreak

• USA, FL, Naples, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2017, 12:15:53 AM »
During Hurricane Isaac, my Bangkok Lemon tolerated flooding well.  My Ox Sapodilla, died from flooding.

Maybe the sapodilla picked up a pathogen during that time and it wasn't actually the flooding that killed it?
- Marley

DeeMango

• I can haz a mango?
    • US, St. Petersburg FL, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2017, 06:31:24 PM »
For those who with fruit trees that may be affected by a hurricane...a few thoughts on recovery.

If a branch or main trunk is broken off during a storm, it may be best to prune off the damaged portion, leaving a clean cut.  This may speed the healing process.  The jagged break provides a larger surface for insect infestation and disease entry.  Cuts should not be into the collar of a branch.

If you apply fertilizer, reduce the fertilizer to reflect the new canopy size.  You risk chemically burning the tree with too much fertilizer.

From my experience, trees susceptible to flooding... avocado, starfruit, sapodilla, and papaya.

Trees that can withstand some flooding:  mango and jackfruit.

Best wishes to all!

Longans should also stand up to flooding. It's nearly impossible to overwater them.
Dee (I can haz a) Mango

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk