Temperate Fruit & Orchards > Temperate Fruit Discussion

Ugni molinae - autumn crop.

(1/2) > >>

Heinrich:
This year, my two mature Ugni molinae plants did give me a nice and plentiful crop. Both plants are about the same age and size. This gave the opportunity to compare these two varieties. The broad-leaved Ugni on the left and the Ugni Elite on the right side.

Previously, I have called the left plant also large-leaved Ugni.   http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=21253.msg263364#msg263364. However, I prefer the term “broad-leaved”, because the leaves are not so much larger, but considerably broader, compared to some other varieties. The plants grow in roughly 14 liter (3 gallon) pots in a sand/peat mix.
The broad-leaved Ugni gave 110 fruits, weighing altogether 52 g. Ugni Elite gave 256 fruits, weighing altogether 94 g. The average weight of one fruit compares to 0.47 g for the broad-leaved Ugni and 0.37 g for the Ugni Elite.

Bearing so small fruits, Ugni molinae is not a species for commercial fruit production, but is charming with taste and specialness. As regards taste, I prefer Ugni Elite, which is sweeter.
This was the first year, which did give a reasonable harvest. Enough, to share the fruits with my wife. Never seen any Ugni before, she asked: “Where did you get these cowberries from?” I responded:  “That aren´t cowberries. Just taste”. Interesting her comments:  “Mmmh, so good.” And after a while. “These berries remind a bit of rose pepper” (Schinus terebinthifolia, Schinus molle) “and also a bit of juniper berry” (Juniperus communis).

Luisport:
Congratulations for your ugni bushes and crop! I have mine with fruit too. They are amazingly sweet and flavour. I just love them and it's impressive how they are not more known!
I love this link: https://zoom50.wordpress.com/2012/03/02/murtillatazziberryugni-molinae/

stuartdaly88:
How does the taste compare to strawberry guava? Is it nicer?

thanks

Luisport:

--- Quote from: stuartdaly88 on September 28, 2017, 06:02:56 AM ---How does the taste compare to strawberry guava? Is it nicer?

thanks

--- End quote ---
Hi! for me is totaly diferent. The flavour is like a chewing gum!  :P

stuartdaly88:

--- Quote from: Luisport on September 28, 2017, 12:11:24 PM ---
--- Quote from: stuartdaly88 on September 28, 2017, 06:02:56 AM ---How does the taste compare to strawberry guava? Is it nicer?

thanks

--- End quote ---
Hi! for me is totaly diferent. The flavour is like a chewing gum!  :P

--- End quote ---
That sounds nice:)
Iv tried from seeds before without success but now I am keen to give another shot!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version