Author Topic: Does hak ip lychee require cooler temperatures than other lychees ?  (Read 1472 times)

Bananaizme

• USA , California,Visalia, sunset zone 9
    • View Profile
    Hello group

I'm curious about this for awhile. I have about 7 or 8 lychee varieties growing in my greenhouse all next to one another. I have lost 3 hak ip trees now and am wondering if they need cooler temperatures or maybe more humidity ? All the other lychee trees are doing fine but like I said I've lost a few hak ip trees now and can't figure out what I'm doing wrong with it ? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

William

SoCal2warm

• zone 10 and zone 8a
    • View Profile
Re: Does hak ip lychee require cooler temperatures than other lychees ?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2017, 02:56:14 PM »
hak ip belongs to a subgroup of lychees known as 'Mountain-type', which also includes the varieties Mauritius and Emperor. These lychees are generally a little bit more drought tolerant and cold tolerant, with a more dwarfed tree size and rougher texture on the skin of the fruit. (Mountain-type lychees are so called because they traditionally grew at higher elevations, as opposed to the more common 'Water-type' lychees that grew in lowland flood plains)

Is it possible the soil could be getting too waterlogged?

If that doesn't appear to be the problem, it could indeed be possible hak ip has a slightly higher chill requirement and that might explain the lack of vigor and why it is succumbing. I've read reports lychee seems to produce a little bit better in climate zone 9b than it does in zone 10 (assuming it still has enough heat the rest of the year, and not talking about desert climates either).
Maybe you could try putting it in a cooler part of your greenhouse during the winter to make sure it gets just a little bit of cooler temperatures ? (but if they are young seedlings you should make sure they don't get too cold)
I don't know, you could try treating the soil with willow tea, and maybe applying a little bit of dilute gibberellic acid to the plant in Spring.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2017, 03:01:27 PM by SoCal2warm »

MarvelMango

• Bokeelia 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2017, 03:31:24 PM »
What variety's are water type?
Quentin

SoCal2warm

• zone 10 and zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2017, 03:36:21 PM »
What variety's are water type?
Most varieties are water-type (Brewster, for example).
If the fruit has smooth skin, that's a pretty good indication it's water-type.

Bananaizme

• USA , California,Visalia, sunset zone 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2017, 12:14:16 AM »
   Socal2warm

Is it possible the soil could be getting too waterlogged?

It's unlikely that its waterlogged since it's planted in a very sandy potting soil. In the summer I do have to water every day because its so hot. I am going to get another Hak Ip this coming spring but will probably keep it outside of the greenhouse and under some shade cloth.

William

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk