Author Topic: Specialties To Look At  (Read 1628 times)

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
Specialties To Look At
« on: October 22, 2017, 09:30:57 PM »
Sugar Belle is a variety that resembles Honeybell (Minneola). It has done well in consumer studies and commercial production. Due to its strength against HLB, Sugar Belle has gained popularity recently. It has better tree health against HLB compared to other varieties grown.

U.S. Early Pride is also a standout specialty variety from the 2016–2017 season. Many fruit are seedless, but those that have seeds only have four or less. This variety matures pretty early in the season and is large in size.

Gold Nugget’s tree durability against citrus greening is generating a lot of interest among growers. The tree shows symptoms, but it keeps right on going, and the fruit quality is really good. 

Taken from the Citrus Industry Magazine.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2017, 09:35:58 PM by Millet »

mrtexas

• USA, Sugarland,TX 9B
    • View Profile
    • MrTexasCitrus
Re: Specialties To Look At
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2017, 10:50:50 PM »
I'm growing out a sugar belle seedling. The variety is patented.

A.T. Hagan

• N/C Fla
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2017, 10:15:22 AM »
I was planning on getting a Sugar Belle.

I'll look into the other two as well.

GardenScientist

• Houston, TX
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2017, 01:57:20 PM »
Glad to hear that there's been some progress with varieties that resist HLB. The authors of this article, which I think include the developers of 'Sugar Belle', seem to think it is because of a higher content of certain volatile compounds.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0981942817301493

A.T. Hagan

• N/C Fla
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2017, 03:19:40 PM »
With the various disease outbreaks here in Florida finding anything out of the run of the mill ordinary in the way of citrus has become a challenge.  Struck out on all three of the above varieties in a search.  Looks like I'll have to start emailing around now.