Author Topic: Wani- mangifera caesia- who has tried it ?  (Read 1542 times)

ben mango

• View Profile
Wani- mangifera caesia- who has tried it ?
« on: October 24, 2017, 11:11:02 AM »
Planning on going to Bali this January in search of the Wani "white mango"... have read before January is the season. Can anyone confirm or have recommendations where to go exactly to try this fruit? Also curious if it can be found in Medan or only Bali?

Gouralata

• fruit trees for warm and wet tropical climate
    • View Profile
Re: Wani- mangifera caesia- who has tried it ?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2017, 12:35:17 PM »
Hello

I found this very nice fruit in the south of Sabah (Beaufort) and in the North of Sarawak (Miri). I think it was in the end of December or in the first day of January.

Gouralata

ben mango

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2017, 01:00:11 PM »
That's good because I planning on going to Borneo before going to Bali or Medan.

HIfarm

• Paukaa, HI, USA zone 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2017, 06:00:29 PM »
I was in Bali in June of 2016.  I was looking for salak but hoped I might also find wani stragglers.  It turned out the season ended about about two months prior.   We discussed fruit with some of the hotel staff in Bali.  When we were talking to some waitresses & asked about wani, they just about swooned -- obviously both were very fond of the fruit.  One of these waitresses was from Java, either the Solo or Jogja area, don't recall which.  She said they did not have wani on Java (or at least that part of Java?).  M. caesia is well documented from Java so perhaps they just don't have the white fleshed wani form of caesia?

There are several forms of wani.  I believe I posted a link to a paper earlier in the library section.

I visited Medan many years ago (probably about 30?).  I don't recall a lot of fruit but it may have been when I visited.  Be aware you are getting very close to Aceh province.  Muslims in that area (Aceh) are especially devout so it may be a good idea to brush up on proper etiquette if visiting that area so as not to unintentionally offend anyone.  People were pretty friendly there years ago.

John

nattyfroootz

• Santa Cruz California
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2017, 09:38:20 PM »
You might be able to contact fit_shortie_eats on instagram. She travels around the tropics eating and finding tons of rare fruits, they posted about the Wani and were trying to sell some seeds last year.
Grow cooler fruits

www.wildlandsplants.com

sunny

• Thailand
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2017, 10:11:25 PM »
You might be able to contact fit_shortie_eats on instagram. She travels around the tropics eating and finding tons of rare fruits, they posted about the Wani and were trying to sell some seeds last year.

I see almost all video's of them but i think they go back to europe now to wash hair...not wash for almost a year.

If we buy more seeds from them (i want wani too) maybe they can make more nice video.

Gouralata

• fruit trees for warm and wet tropical climate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2017, 10:50:52 PM »
In Sabah and Sarawak Mangifera caesia is called "Beluno" I think I posted a pic of it few years ago. (May be Sarawak fruits Miri)

Gouralata