Author Topic: On a unknown fruit pursuit! 😄  (Read 8348 times)

Raulglezruiz

• Puerto Vallarta,Mexico. Lat 21.5 Semi Tropical
    • View Profile
On a unknown fruit pursuit! 😄
« on: November 11, 2017, 02:24:39 PM »
Today I hire a guy for logging a tall Primavera tree that even do has beautiful blooms of yellow flowers in Spring is occupying a place I need for a Durian, he is a man of campo, I mean those guys who had been working in the mountains walking or riding a mula putting lines or fence for the ejidos(forest land association owners)  who was born here in the little town I live just outside of touristy Puerto Vallarta, I asked him about if there's any fruit of good taste or value in the hills, he mentioned that there's some very good sweet figs, but what caught my attention he also mentioned another fruit that grows in a mountain like 2 or 3 mountains back from mine, he said he went there because there's an old rumor that in that mountain there's a mine, so every once in a while people have come and ask him to take them over there, and that is how he saw this tree, he says is a small tree like 2 meters high, who have this fruits hanging down the way bananas do, the tree had the tronk like palms do with marks, the fruit were hanging one from each side, he said about the size of a Pineaple he also mentioned the skin with the same drawing that Pineaples do, yellow in color, he told to the other guy who was walking with him, look that fruit is edible, because one of them has been devoured half by a racoon as the marks were on the fruit, so they cut the other one and brought it back to town were they opened with a knife, to found a orange fleshed inside that according to him is similar to a jackfruit in flavor, there was most people there and most like it, so they wanted to go back for more, this guy said he won't come back walking as is around 4 hours in the hills, so they planned to get some horses and comeback, but unfortunately they never went back! I asked if he remembered the time of year, he said in November, I'm I lucky? 😄 hehehe, he also mentioned have had seen them in another mountain within  one hour driving from here and where we have to drop the car is only one hour walking, I wanted to go tomorrow! 😄 but unfortunately he's busy the hole next week so we settled to go in two weeks, hopefully the raccoons let some for us, I'm kind of exited this description he gave sounds weird for me, hopefully can find some species of good value.. I'll keep you updated.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2017, 01:25:06 PM by Raulglezruiz »
El verde es vida!

coyote

• US, Wisconsin, Madison, Zone 5
    • View Profile
Re: On a unknown fruit pursuit! 😄
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2017, 06:09:03 PM »
Its the wrong continent, but the description reminds me a lot of screw pine.  It would be amazing if you found something completly unknown to the tropical fruit world! Whatever it is happy hunting!

sytanta

• Ho Chi Minh, Vietnam
    • View Profile
Re: On a unknown fruit pursuit!
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2017, 07:36:06 PM »
Exciting Raul!! I believe you can find what the guy mentioned and some other strange/wonderful species. Another hope is that they can thrive in lowlands :D
« Last Edit: November 11, 2017, 08:01:46 PM by sytanta »

cmichael258

• St. Pete, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2017, 08:45:17 PM »
Can't wait to see if your hunt comes to fruition Raul.   :)
« Last Edit: November 12, 2017, 10:37:50 AM by cmichael258 »
Michael

Ethan

• Central California Z9/9
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2017, 10:36:19 PM »
Good luck Raul, I can't wait for your next report!

OCchris1

• Old Towne Orange, CA 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2017, 01:24:42 AM »
Good luck amigo! Safe travels. Chris
-Chris

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2017, 01:50:29 AM »
Good luck with the fruit safari and the hombres amigo. Hopefully you'll be riding high in the saddle with a full bounty coming home.

Raulglezruiz

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2017, 01:29:05 PM »
Its the wrong continent, but the description reminds me a lot of screw pine.  It would be amazing if you found something completly unknown to the tropical fruit world! Whatever it is happy hunting!
I haven't taught about that, but now that you mention and looking at the small  size of pandanus tree, pictures of the fruit and he also mention the leaves being like a palm but more narrow and long, you may be closer, as far as I know there's no pandanus species in Mexico but maybe something closely related?
El verde es vida!

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2017, 08:01:39 PM »
I haven't taught about that, but now that you mention and looking at the small  size of pandanus tree, pictures of the fruit and he also mention the leaves being like a palm but more narrow and long, you may be closer, as far as I know there's no pandanus species in Mexico but maybe something closely related?

When I read the first post, screw pine image immediately came to mind.  Would be a long walk just for that...but only way to find out.  Good luck.

Ethan

• Central California Z9/9
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2017, 09:23:29 PM »
Have you ever found Quararibea funebris (Rosa de cacao) Raul? Would love to track down some seeds.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2017, 09:59:19 PM »
You would know pandanus and there are 10 or 11 species in my area and they all have the pineapple top on a big scale.Their relatives like freycinetia are mostly scrambling vines with red fruit.

Chandramohan

• India, Kerala, Wynad
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2017, 07:13:51 AM »
Raul, Goodluck on your hunt and take care.

NateTheGreat

• SF Bay Area, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2017, 03:23:10 PM »
Please keep us posted Raul, I'm very curious :).

Raulglezruiz

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2017, 09:56:08 PM »
I already went this Sunday and found it! 😄 more news and pics tomorrow as I have been exhausted, I walked 4 and 1/2  hours all together in the hills, when I came back I feel my back as if somebody hit me with a stick, and my lower legs are still in pain when walking, that just reminded me I need a do more regular exercise! 😄
El verde es vida!

sytanta

• Ho Chi Minh, Vietnam
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2017, 10:18:26 PM »
I already went this Sunday and found it! 😄 more news and pics tomorrow as I have been exhausted, I walked 4 and 1/2  hours all together in the hills, when I came back I feel my back as if somebody hit me with a stick, and my lower legs are still in pain when walking, that just reminded me I need a do more regular exercise! 😄

That's a lot of walking Raul!
You'll need some long rests and very rich meals ;D

NateTheGreat

• SF Bay Area, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2017, 11:55:15 PM »

Wow, I can't wait!

Chandramohan

• India, Kerala, Wynad
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2017, 05:12:51 AM »
Raul, what happened?

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2017, 02:18:30 AM »
Tune in for the following episode? You want to keep us in suspense?  ;D
Oscar

Raulglezruiz

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2017, 03:56:13 PM »
Tune in for the following episode? You want to keep us in suspense?  ;D
Hi Oscar and Chandramohan, hahaha, yes it's been a few days, I was expecting for this one prehistoric monster I found to ripe for opening,
Well sometimes description of people even if they have been all the time in the jungle are as precise as us fruit collectors would like, the supposed small shrub with fruit hanging by the side with the size of a Pineaple it turns out to be a beautiful surrealistic small palm (I'm a neofit when talking about palms)
He shows me one very small before reaching the small slope were they are, it was like 25 cm. High with long glossy leaves of very hard texture feeling like kind of plastic, the trunk is very nice with small rombos like in the pineapples skin, then another 30 minutes later high up when I feel I couldn't walk any more, he told me,  there is! 😄 I saw a one meter high palm with a nice mark trunk, leaves on top by the sides, and in exactly the middle high a huge thing similar to a Pineaple but covered by white wool, it was very straight to the sky,
So I totally exited ask him to use the machete to cut it, then why went to look for more and in total we only found 3 palms of decent size to have fruit on top, the largest one was starting to lean by one side, maybe that's why this guy told me that when he saw it on the other mountain (the farest one) the fruit was hanging like bananas, maybe the ripe ones start to lean by the side,
This is not a fruit you can check easily open with your hands, a knife is needed, when I touched it the wool covering it feel so nice, warm and soft, I
Forgot to mentioned that the first one we saw it has rests of a fruit maybe devoured by an animal or overripe, There was a few little orange  pieces so we tried for me it was sweet and then bitter, I asked him if he felt the bitter flavor he says no, I thought that was because 5 minutes before he showed me a little plant he said it was Damiana, I chewed some leaves and they were all extremely bitter I have to spit them out of my mouth, so I figured out this is was the reason for the bitter flavor, later when I opened in my house inside it has orange pieces inside like the jack fruit, unfortunately I think I cut the fruits before ripening and they didn't kept ripening of the palm like other fruits do, the pulp was kind of dry and astringent, so there's lot of questions still pending, I'm going to send pics to a friend in the university to see if he can ID,
and see if is edible, anyway I'm happy because we found something I haven't seen before and turned out to be a nice eye catching palm of small size, I'm planning one in my house, hopefully in the future I can sell little palms to nurseries this would be a hot sale, in the meantime the plant is ID I'm going to refer to it as Pineaple Jackfruit Palm.....
Sorry for the short videos but my recoding application wasn't working and was cutting the videos after a few seconds I realized that later at home, sorry I can't go back at least in 6 months!!! 😂
https://youtu.be/FbpCfwCR24A
https://youtu.be/QJJ9gBNYwkg
https://youtu.be/MDC_AdUQHLg
https://youtu.be/9G8U_hA8quQ
https://youtu.be/MDC_AdUQHLg

El verde es vida!

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2017, 04:44:47 PM »
Any photos of the palm tree? I'm sure a palm society member could ID it for you. Bizarre looking fruit.
Oscar

Grapebush

• Portugal, Madeira Island, Funchal, 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2017, 05:17:31 PM »
It is not a real palm!
It is a type of Cycad, maybe from the genus Encephalartos, judging by the shape of the entire fruit, and specially by the individual fruitlets.

Anyway it might be a very rare one, and you can make good money with the seeds, and/or seedlings, as there are a lot of cycad collectors that don't mind to pay good money for these rarities.

Best of luck with these.
Life is all about learning, but sometimes, the more you learn, the less you seem to know...

SonnyCrockett

• Charleston, SC (8b)
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2017, 05:31:38 PM »
Cool report Raul.  A rare cycad is still a good find.

SonnyCrockett

• Charleston, SC (8b)
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2017, 05:39:59 PM »
Dioon Spinulosum?  Sounds like what you are describing.

http://www.yucatanadventure.com.mx/Dioon-Cycad-Palm.htm

Raulglezruiz

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2017, 06:22:35 PM »

Hi Sonny, nice pics beautiful palm, I see some differences the one I'm talking about doesn't have toothed leaves, also the pinne is different the one you posted doesn't have the orange balls kind of jackfruit inside.
El verde es vida!

SonnyCrockett

• Charleston, SC (8b)
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2017, 06:41:49 PM »

Hi Sonny, nice pics beautiful palm, I see some differences the one I'm talking about doesn't have toothed leaves, also the pinne is different the one you posted doesn't have the orange balls kind of jackfruit inside.

Sounds good.  Do you have any pictures of the plants?