Author Topic: Fruit markets in Central Jakarta  (Read 1355 times)

PurpleAlligator

• USA, Miami, FL, 33187, 10b
    • View Profile
Fruit markets in Central Jakarta
« on: November 20, 2017, 09:34:25 AM »
I’ll be traveling to Jakarta and Bali soon. I was wondering if anyone can give tips on where to find fruit markets in Central Jakarta?

alfian1

• Indonesia, Jawa Barat, Sukabumi, 13
    • View Profile
Re: Fruit markets in Central Jakarta
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2017, 12:42:07 AM »
Hi Purple Alligator,

I don't know about fruit market, because I alway looking for rarely fruit. In the street market full of temperate fruit but in the fruit store right now in Jakarta available : matoa/fijian longan, salak, durian, lengkeng/longan, some wax guava variety/java apple/jambu air, malay apple/jambu bol, guava, carambola/star fruit, purple mangosteen, local mango, ciku sapote and etc.

Some fruit that had no season or always available like avocado, jackfruit, banana, soursop, pineaple ready too.

Regards,
Alfian

HIfarm

• Paukaa, HI, USA zone 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2017, 01:30:43 PM »
I did not visit Jakarta on my last trip to Indonesia.  I was underwhelmed by the variety of fruit in Jogjakarta & I suspect you may be in Jakarta as well.  If you head to central Java, I can give some pointers.  If you are heading up to Borobudor (a not to miss sight!) from Jogja, you'll pass right through Sleman which is renown for salak production.  On the main road, you'll pass stalls that will probably have a few varieties, if in season.  Coming back down the mountain (Merapi), there is a road in Sleman heading around the other side of the mountain, leading over to Ketep Pass.  That will take you right through the salak plantations and there will be stalls there selling a number of different varieties. 

On Bali, the salak center is Sibetan.  There is a farm there selling salak & various salak products as well as a few stalls nearby.  The farm is Agro Abian Salak at Banjar Karangyar in Sibetan.  It could be easy to miss, it is on a high hill right along the road (but you may not be looking up to see it).  I think you may also hit wani season (a relative of mango, held in very high regard by some) on Bali.

The Sleman area of Java has something like 15-20 different varieties of salak and Sibetan has a similar number of different varieties of a different form of salak.  If you sample salak, do not binge too heavily as it is known to cause constipation.  (i think I limited myself to something 6-8 / day and had no problems).  If you do a google search on the forum for Sleman & Sibetan, you should be able to find my reports on my visits.

John

PurpleAlligator

• USA, Miami, FL, 33187, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2017, 05:55:37 PM »
Thanks John. Salak has been available readily in Jakarta and here in Bali. There was a durian festival in Jakarta but I haven’t found any yet in Bali.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk