Tropical Fruit Forum - International Tropical Fruit Growers

Author Topic: What type of fruit is produced by a grafted tree?  (Read 85 times)

Robindch

• trinidad
    • View Profile
What type of fruit is produced by a grafted tree?
« on: December 03, 2017, 07:38:26 AM »
Now, I haven't been through all the past discussions on this site so I don't know if this may be a legit question or not. However, for the sake of asking I would like to know. What type of fruit is produced by a grafted tree. For example, if I were to take the budding of a lemon tree or an orange tree and graft it onto the rootstock of a lime tree, would the fruit produced when the tree bears be 'sour' or would it be of the same flavour as that of its parent plant? I ask this because upon conducting my research, I haven't been given a clear answer to this question.

citrange

• UK - 15 miles west of London
    • View Profile
    • Home Citrus growers
Re: What type of fruit is produced by a grafted tree?
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2017, 12:21:58 PM »
The fruit is always the type that you graft or bud with on to the rootstock. The top variety is technically called the scion.
The rootstock may make subtle differences to the fruit produced, such as a little change in size/sweetness/acidity/peel thickness and so on.
But basically if you graft, say, a lime on to a rootstock - the fruit will always still be a lime and always taste like a lime.
The rootstock's fruit flavour is in no way transferred to the top variety.

Copyright © Tropical Fruit Forum - International Tropical Fruit Growers