Author Topic: Anyone growing atemoya on Oahu?  (Read 3597 times)

Jessg333

• Honolulu, Hi
    • View Profile
Anyone growing atemoya on Oahu?
« on: December 03, 2017, 01:44:28 PM »
I was told by local fruit nursery owner that I shouldn't waste my time trying to grow Atemoya on Oahu because we have a seed boring bug that ruins all the fruit. I know atemoya grows successfully on Big Island, but has anyone gotten it to fruit on Oahu?

kangtt

• HONOLULU
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone growing atemoya on Oahu?
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2017, 03:00:53 PM »
Back in 2011, I had a Geffner atemoya. It fruited well without hand pollination.
The fruits were fine then. However in 2012 and 2013, all my fruits were ruined by
the annona seed borers.  I was too lazy to bag the fruits.  Saw some nice fruit nets
for sale on ebay.  I'm going to try and grow atemoyas again.

Jessg333

• Honolulu, Hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2017, 01:35:47 AM »
Oh that sucks. I wonder if I should start bagging my soursop.I only got 2 small fruit so far but they were fine. Where did you get the atemoya tree from?

kangtt

• HONOLULU
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2017, 01:55:56 AM »
You don't have to bag soursops...the annona seed borers do not bother soursops.
They don't bother my sugar apple either.  I got the Geffner atemoya from Garden of Delights
in florida. I chopped that tree down to grow something else.  Recently, bought atemoyas fruits
from chinatown for $6.99/lb...came out to $24 for two fruits.  So I decided to grow
my own again and bag the fruits this time.  Last week, I bought two grafted atemoyas from Ebay.

palologrower

• Honolulu, HI, US, Zone 12B
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2017, 03:29:00 AM »
ken vinzant in waimanalo has a tree growing at his place and were fruiting nicely at least last year. I know I've seen some Oahu grown atemoya here and there.  Can be done, but like the kangtt said, the borer can be a problem.  I bet part of the solution is just to make sure your ground around the tree is clean of any materials the borer larvae could live in...i make that assumption based on the coffee beetle borer. 

TheDom

• Fort Myers, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2017, 06:38:54 PM »
You don't have to bag soursops...the annona seed borers do not bother soursops.

Maybe your seed borers are different, or you've somehow got resistant soursop, but the ones here in FL absolutely will infest soursop in a heartbeat. I've not personally seen them in sugar apple here, but I've heard growers complaining about it.
Dom

apresser

• USA, Hawaii, Haleiwa
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2017, 08:18:42 PM »
I have fruiting atemoyas up here on the North Shore. The borer beatles are really fast to get the fruit, I keep the trees small and bag all the fruits when they are still small. Its the only way.

kangtt

• HONOLULU
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2017, 11:49:48 PM »
Apresser,
What cultivar atemoyas do you have and where did you
buy them?  Also, what kind of bags do you use...paper or netting?
At what size and age of the the fruit do you need to bag?

Thanks

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2017, 05:50:34 AM »
On Big Island we have chalcid wasp which mummifies the fruit, so still have to bag the atemoyas. They bother sugar apples too. But their favorite is bullock's heart. Don't bother soursop or rollinia.
Oscar

Jessg333

• Honolulu, Hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2017, 05:47:20 PM »
Sadly both Kent Vinzant and Frankie's don't sell atemoya or Rollinia  :'( I guess I'll try from seed... and invest in some bags

palologrower

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2017, 05:52:30 PM »
Sadly both Kent Vinzant and Frankie's don't sell atemoya or Rollinia  :'( I guess I'll try from seed... and invest in some bags

i may have bought ken's one and only grafted african pride (i forget variety) he did himself from last year's Made in Hawaii Festival.  Too windy at my place in the pot, so gave it to my friend up the road in palolo.  that tree is flush now.  wouldn't be surprised if it flowers next year....

Frankie's gave up on rollinia something about his soil being too sticky?  not sure.  anyway, i have a pot full of rollinia seeds and if any germinate, i'll lyk and you can have some seedlings.

Jessg333

• Honolulu, Hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2017, 06:50:05 PM »
Wow thank you Palologrower! I was wondering why Frankie's doesn't carry rollinia. Interesting

apresser

• USA, Hawaii, Haleiwa
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2017, 07:47:31 PM »
Apresser,

Thanks

Hi. I have Pink Mammoth Atemoyas, all grafted on Chirimoya seedlings. I got these Scions from Oscar maybe 4 -5 years ago. I got some fine netting type bags from ebay (china) that seem to work fine as long as I bag the Atemoyas when they are pretty small (the size of a walnut with the shell on). Here is the link to the bags I use. https://goo.gl/Pu3FPP

Rollinia fruits well up here in Haleiwa, no problems with insects. Have a lot of other different varieties of Annona that are still young and have not fruited...so will have to wait and see what is tolerant of the borer beetle and wasp and what is not.

apresser

• USA, Hawaii, Haleiwa
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2017, 07:58:56 PM »

Once you get your seedlings going you can help yourself to some Pinks Mammoth Scions, if you come pick up on the North Shore. I got my first "crop" this year as I allowed a few fruits to mature. They were  not mammoth in size (probably due to the age of the tree), but the flavor was excellent.

palologrower

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2017, 01:40:26 AM »
Apresser,

Thanks

Hi. I have Pink Mammoth Atemoyas, all grafted on Chirimoya seedlings. I got these Scions from Oscar maybe 4 -5 years ago. I got some fine netting type bags from ebay (china) that seem to work fine as long as I bag the Atemoyas when they are pretty small (the size of a walnut with the shell on). Here is the link to the bags I use. https://goo.gl/Pu3FPP

Rollinia fruits well up here in Haleiwa, no problems with insects. Have a lot of other different varieties of Annona that are still young and have not fruited...so will have to wait and see what is tolerant of the borer beetle and wasp and what is not.

the weave is the same size as organza bags?

Jessg333

• Honolulu, Hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2017, 03:06:45 AM »
Thanks Apresser! I might take you up on that offer some time down the line ;)

apresser

• USA, Hawaii, Haleiwa
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2017, 10:49:42 PM »
Apresser,

Thanks

the weave is the same size as organza bags?

not exactly the same. a bit larger--- but it works well to keep out the borers that get into atemoyas

palologrower

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2017, 03:54:26 AM »
The organza bags do well for my guavas