Author Topic: NS-1 vs J-31 characteristics  (Read 1505 times)

grafted_in

• Hawai'i, Maui, Waikapū, Zone 12b
    • View Profile
NS-1 vs J-31 characteristics
« on: December 05, 2017, 07:45:26 PM »
Due to conflicting online information about the jackfruit varieties NS-1 and J-31 being synonymous or not, I am asking for growers to describe fruit and tree characteristics of both if available.  I have a tree is was bought as NS-1 from Dave Frenz on Hawaii island.  It has medium sized fruit with not too much latex.  The flesh is crunchy and a deep yellow.  The growth habit seems to be compact but maybe just from its proximity to other trees and shade.  I will plant another with room to show off its growth habit.  Thank you all for your replies.

cbss_daviefl

• USA, Southwest Ranches,FL 33331, 10B
    • View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
Re: NS-1 vs J-31 characteristics
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2017, 08:00:20 PM »
Here is a picture of NS1

My tree is compact, only 6ft tall. Flesh is firm.  I would say this is a high latex fruit but that may be subjective. Flavor wise, the first year fruit were just ok but the second year were great.

J31 is not crunchy, I would describe it as soft. The flavor is just like bazooka bubble gum. My j31 is not compact.  I could not find a picture of j31. I will take a second look later.
Brandon

grafted_in

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2017, 09:11:31 PM »
Thank you for the picture and description. That is helpful. I tend to let my jacks sit for a couple days before opening so that may have something to do with the medium amount of latex I am experiencing.

TonyinCC

• Trying to enjoy home grown fruit 12 months a year
    • Cape Coral,FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2017, 08:01:48 AM »
I don't have either tree planted but have bought and eaten both types grown in SW Florida.  NS1 fruit is a little smaller, its aroma and flavor are milder. I have bought several fruit sold as NS1 from different sources, all were similar.
I expect it would have a broader appeal to most American tastes than J-31.  Most NS1 plants sold here are seedlings,apparently they must be fairly true to type.
 J-31 had a much stronger funkier aroma and an additional flavor element that put me off, it had a very noticeable celery taste in the background.
 If it is present in unripe fruit, that might be actually be desirable assuming you want to eat it as a vegetable, but it kept me from enjoying the ripe fruit.
I have a tip for you on reducing latex, chill fruit before cutting. I would chill the fruit in a cooler or a spare fridge since the aroma will pervade your fridge. If the fruit is very aromatic,double bag it before refrigerating or freezing the cut fruit.
 Most Jackfruit freezes well in my experience. The thicker the fruit pieces, the longer they seem to stay good frozen. Thin pieces maybe 2 months,thicker pieces 6 months or longer.

grafted_in

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2017, 02:29:49 AM »
Thank you

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2017, 04:21:11 AM »
I have tried jacks labelled as both with NS1 being orange fleshed and J31 being thick fleshed and yellow. Both had too much latex but tasted good. Jacks fruit is not as good in their first couple of seasons.J31 is being replaced in Malaysia by the superior J33 in commercial orchards.