Author Topic: Increasing Annonaceae frost resistance through grafting?  (Read 10205 times)

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Increasing Annonaceae frost resistance through grafting?
« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2012, 09:05:54 PM »
It really helps me make an easy decision, I am going to grow one or both of the varieties  ;D.

If you are interested in some tasting reviews you can also look here:

http://southcenters.osu.edu/horticulture/pdf-documents/2008-icm-fruit-news/vol-12-num-28-oct-14-08.pdf

Not very accurate, but gives you an idea.

Thanks for the link
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2012, 11:58:55 PM »
Plant two or more varieties of pawpaw, for cross-pollination.
Har

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2012, 11:12:14 PM »
Have heard from experienced poor man's banana growers, that u can pollinate a solitary plant, in much the same manner as a sugar apple.

I hope he's not just wafting smolder up my shorts.

Plant two or more varieties of pawpaw, for cross-pollination.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2012, 10:11:02 AM »
Some claim that 'Sunflower' northern-pawpaw is self-compatible. 

Any northern-pawpaw is unfruitful where there is a lack of pollinator insects--- mainly blowflies from roadkill and such --- so hand-pollination gets around that, but still benefits from having two or more varieties to cross-pollinate, or at least that is what I have consistently heard.  (I have worked a little with some of the Florida-pawpaws.)

In the wild a whole thicket of northern-pawpaw can be all of the same clone, from root suckers.  It is said that those monoclonal thickets normally have no fruits.
Har

Pancrazio

• Off Tropic
  • Florence, Italy, USDA 8
    • Growing fruits in Florence, and Pratovecchio, Italy
    • View Profile
    • FruttAma.it
« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2012, 05:24:03 PM »
For what is worth, i can attest that those anecdotes are true. Here some italian people who grow "sunflower" pawpaw report fruits even if they don't have a second plant. Now, (1) since we don't have wild annonas of any kind, (2) pawpaw is almost unknown in cultivation (being introduced in italy only in 1983), and (3) different growers can even be several miles apart, i don't see any other way for those anecdotes to be true than sunflower being self-pollinating. Still those are nothing more than anecdotes, so is better to avoid excessive trust.
Another self pollinating variety is Prima 1216, developed here, but with all those great cultivars avaiable there i guess you won't feel the need for some other cultivars.
I planted 2 trees, last winter, a Sunflower and a Prima 1216, pretty close each other. Both self-pollinating, to minimize the risk of no fruit set. Since i lack of wild trees and natural pollinators i preferred to stay on the safe side. Apparently we lack of pollinators here, so some people use as workaround (yes, pretty disgusting, i know) some rotting meat/fish just close to the tree. Flies are supposed to do the work for them. Well a guess this works if you have the trees planted far from the house. Some other poeple plant them close to the compost pile, and this is more acceptable and it should also work.
Italian fruit forum

I want to buy/trade central asia apricots. Contact me in PM if interested.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk