Author Topic: What the heck is this Artocarpus like fruit?  (Read 1736 times)

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
What the heck is this Artocarpus like fruit?
« on: January 12, 2018, 04:07:27 AM »

I was brought this aromatic 21.4kg fruit to identify today. It looks like a big brain with marang like skin tubicles .

It smells and looks like an artocarpus inside with rag but the bulbs of flesh are missing.

The seeds are small and I am reaching down deep and coming up empty. I don't know what it is.

KarenRei

• Arctic Member
    • Reykjavík, Iceland
    • View Profile
Re: What the heck is this Artocarpus like fruit?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2018, 05:06:21 AM »
Treculia sp.?

ED: Ah, I see it's myrianthus arboreus!
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 07:13:24 AM by KarenRei »
Já, ég er að rækta suðrænar plöntur á Íslandi. Nei, ég er ekki klikkuð. Jæja, kannski...

shot

• usa fl bokeelia 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2018, 10:42:44 AM »
Maybe Parartocarpus venenosa it is awful big ,maybe lack of pollination or boron no viable seeds

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2018, 12:02:54 PM »
No help to identify buy it might be immature, despite the size.  A friend harvest her first ever jackfruit last fall before any smell developed.  Despite weighing 40lb, it had no bulbs inside. 

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2018, 03:05:34 PM »
No it isn't an immature jackfruit and the seeds are fully formed although small.With the aroma the fruit is mature. It is not Myrianthus and the same person brought a piece of that to identify as well. Treculia seems to be a good guess Karen but is seems more than double the maximum weight of it.

Grapebush

• Portugal, Madeira Island, Funchal, 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2018, 05:40:31 PM »
Seems like Treculia africana.
It doesn't have fleshy arils like artocaprus, and only the seeds are edible.
About the size, Helton in Brasil reported to harvest one in 2014 arround 24kg.   http://www.colecionandofrutas.org/treculiaafricana.htm
Life is all about learning, but sometimes, the more you learn, the less you seem to know...

KarenRei

• Arctic Member
    • Reykjavík, Iceland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2018, 06:22:59 PM »
No it isn't an immature jackfruit and the seeds are fully formed although small.With the aroma the fruit is mature. It is not Myrianthus and the same person brought a piece of that to identify as well. Treculia seems to be a good guess Karen but is seems more than double the maximum weight of it.

Ah, my apologies - I interpreted your other post as indicating that this was Myrianthus  :)   I have no experience with Myrianthus so I was ready to take your word on it  ;)

Then I stick with my original guess, lol  ;)  I mean, just to compare with your second pic:

« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 06:25:45 PM by KarenRei »
Já, ég er að rækta suðrænar plöntur á Íslandi. Nei, ég er ekki klikkuð. Jæja, kannski...

sunny

• Thailand
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2018, 07:45:18 PM »
 Buah Utu

Utu: Jackfruit Fruit Similar to Irregular Shapes

My childhood friends whose heads are not round are often mocked as head-fruit utu, in accordance with the uneven form of malleable utuk fruit. The fruit looks similar to jackfruit, from the soft spines, but the shape is quite different. Utu fruit tends to rounded, although berbenjol to and fro, while jackfruit fruit elongated and not berbenjol. Utu is still closely related, though another clan, with jackfruit, cempedak, arise, and breadfruit. Plant with the scientific name of Parartocarpus venenosa Becc. (check the scientific name, synonyms, and classification in the GBIF Data Portal and The Plant List), has the common name of fig maya (Melayu Peninsular), buru ongko (Java), purut (Sunda), pejatai (West Kalimantan), malanangka (Filipino).

Medium-sized tree, up to 27 m tall, cylindrical rods, diameter up to 60 cm, stems without branches up to 18 m, no root board. Brown-stem, brown-cream, or reddish-brown rupture, less than 25 mm thick, just one layer, fibrous, gummy white and sticky, the color of the sap does not change after exposure to air; wood surface under orange or white leather. The shoots are fine-haired rarely, the terminal shoots are not wrapped in leaves. Single leaves are intermittent, stemmed, wingless stalks, long round bulletel leaves, (10.0-) 14.0-20.0 cm x (4.5-) 6.0-10.0 cm; pinnate inclination, dark green top surface, white underfoot surface, short hair is rare or not, stipula resembles a leaf, long to 5 mm, does not surround twigs, decays after a while. The inflorescences on the leaves of the leaves, male and female are separate but on a tree, the male flowers of the axis are not branched while the female flowers from one point, the flowers are very small, long and diameter only 1 mm, without flower jewelry. Male cones with one yarn, female flower with 1 bud, inferior ovary. The building is a double, single or multiple fruit with a stem from a point, the fruit is 20.0-45.0 mmx 20.0-45.0 mm, the prickly surface is prickly, consisting of many units of berry fruit, each unit of fruit contains one seed, a seed of 10 (8 -10) mm x 1-10 (6-8) mm. Male flower with one stamens, female flower with 1 pistil, inferior ovary. Fruit is a double fruit, a single or multiple fruits with a stalk of a single point, a fruit of 20.0-45.0 mmx 20.0-45.0 mm, a slightly prickly surface, consisting of many units of berries, each fruit unit containing one seed, a seed size of 10 (8 -10) mm x 1-10 (6-8) mm. Male flower with one stamens, female flower with 1 pistil, inferior ovary. Fruit is a double fruit, a single or multiple fruits with a stalk of a single point, a fruit of 20.0-45.0 mmx 20.0-45.0 mm, a slightly prickly surface, consisting of many units of berries, each fruit unit containing one seed, a seed size of 10 (8 -10) mm x 1-10 (6-8) mm.