Author Topic: Cow Breast Orchid, Uvaria grandiflora  (Read 3922 times)

sahai1

• NST, THAILAND
    • View Profile
Cow Breast Orchid, Uvaria grandiflora
« on: January 28, 2018, 04:25:56 AM »
was gifted some today, taste like banana sugar apple, maybe a bit of soursop
กล้วยหมูสัง is most common Thai name, dont know if they mean Gluay like banana or like an orchid.
So might translate like Banana Sow, or Sow Orchid.
Name in my area is not standard, called Gluay Nom Wua, or Cow breast orchid.  Maybe they mean like nipple.
Apparently there is another variety that is smaller with less seeds, called Cat Breast orchid.

Mvule101

• Arua, Uganda
    • View Profile
Re: Cow Breast Orchid, Uvaria grandiflora
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2018, 04:36:44 AM »
Wow very strange. What does the plant look like?

sahai1

• NST, THAILAND
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2018, 06:02:08 AM »
it grows like a vine, most Thai people are convinced it is a vine.. perhaps I am misunderstanding the Thai word for vine.
Perhaps there is no word for shrub or woody vine in Thai, it is woody.  I took a cutting, not sure if it will take.

Annonaceae

• Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2018, 07:10:26 AM »
Its more of a liana.

sahai1

• NST, THAILAND
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2018, 07:42:51 AM »
great word.. yes, a liana

sahai1

• NST, THAILAND
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2018, 07:44:28 AM »
here is a picture from medthai website, it was trained over a car park

KarenRei

• Arctic Member
    • Reykjavík, Iceland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2018, 08:20:06 AM »
I've also seen U. grandiflora called civet banana in English. I'm not surprised that the local name for it might have a reference to a cow's udder - U. rufa in is known as Susung-kalabaw, "Water buffalo teats"  :)  Sahai, see if you can get the scientific name on the less seedy version (what was the seed-to-flesh ratio on U.grandiflora? - it's hard to find that sort of info.)

There are so many interesting annonaceae climbers (Uvaria, Fissistigma, Melodorum, etc)  :)   Also interesting annonaceae spice trees (Xylopia, Monodora, etc), with great medicinal qualities being investigated. The flowers on Monodora species are gorgeous.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2018, 08:27:20 AM by KarenRei »
Já, ég er að rækta suðrænar plöntur á Íslandi. Nei, ég er ekki klikkuð. Jæja, kannski...

sahai1

• NST, THAILAND
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2018, 09:36:15 AM »
I think  maybe like 50/50 seed/flesh?  Is there any way I can check more accurately, glad to help.
 At first I tried to eat fast like a sugar apple trying to work the flesh off the seeds.  Then realized if you just keep the fruit in your mouth it dissolves completely, no need to chew or suck or do anything.  dissolves just as fast ss chewing it.

looking through Thai blogs found several blogs crossreferencing cat nipple to other names in different dialects, however since I dont have the fruit not sure what is what.

From those different dialects found crossreferenced to these different scientific names:
Xylopia vielana Pierre, Uvaria Rufa, Polyalthia debilis

KarenRei

• Arctic Member
    • Reykjavík, Iceland
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2018, 09:57:28 AM »
I think  maybe like 50/50 seed/flesh?  Is there any way I can check more accurately, glad to help.

Thanks, that'd good enough - I'll add that to my database  :)

Nice to see that it trains well.  Looks like lots of good properties to this one.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2018, 10:03:44 AM by KarenRei »
Já, ég er að rækta suðrænar plöntur á Íslandi. Nei, ég er ekki klikkuð. Jæja, kannski...

Ulfr

• Brisbane Australia
    • View Profile
    • Practical Primate
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2018, 04:08:56 PM »
Wow thanks for sharing. Looks really cool.

sahai1

• NST, THAILAND
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2018, 06:38:33 AM »
no problems, the MedThai website lists that it the leaves and the roots can be boiled to cure stomach ailments, including an upset stomach, bloated stomach, and gas.

So_Cal_Mike

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2018, 06:18:59 PM »
Planted a couple of seeds today of Uvaria grandiflora... I have my fingers crossed!
If not for this thread I would not have known of it, so thank you very much Sahai1!
[size=85]Sunset Zone: 21 • USDA Zone: 10a • AHS Heat Zone: 6-7[/size]

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2018, 08:35:50 AM »
Richard Wilson, of Excalibur Fruit Trees, introduced Uvaria grandiflora to Florida around 2001.  He may still have some.
Har

greenman62

• CharlesitaveNB
    • [url=https://vgruk.com/]vgr uk[/url]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2018, 05:06:47 PM »
I tried growing this from seed 3 times
never got one seedlings.

if anyone has success let me know
especially with a place i can buy seeds, or seedlings.

(Adam do you have one for sale?)

So_Cal_Mike

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2018, 05:53:59 PM »
if anyone has success let me know
especially with a place i can buy seeds, or seedlings.

I got seeds from Trade Winds for what it’s worth... their seeds have been a coin-toss for me, but I’m hopeful.

So_Cal_Mike

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2018, 03:53:58 PM »
just as a follow-up, the seeds from Trade Winds never germinated... they came dry and I suspect they are probably recalcitrant.

sahai1

• NST, THAILAND
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2019, 03:08:03 AM »
sorry for late reply, was dealing with death in family around this time... just to let me people know I threw these seeds in a pot and did nothing and got 100% germination.  I literally weeded out the sprouts because had way too many, and didn't want to transfer to other pots.  I have like 5 containers with these now, any they are only 12" tall now and they look exactly like any other annona seedling, complete with the slow growth seen in annonas at this stage.  But also hardy to drought, sun, water, etc.

I'll be back in Thailand Jan/Feb and if see any  are fruiting in town, If find,  can try to help anybody out at cost of postage. 

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2019, 03:54:36 AM »
sorry for late reply, was dealing with death in family around this time... just to let me people know I threw these seeds in a pot and did nothing and got 100% germination.  I literally weeded out the sprouts because had way too many, and didn't want to transfer to other pots.  I have like 5 containers with these now, any they are only 12" tall now and they look exactly like any other annona seedling, complete with the slow growth seen in annonas at this stage.  But also hardy to drought, sun, water, etc.

I'll be back in Thailand Jan/Feb and if see any  are fruiting in town, If find,  can try to help anybody out at cost of postage.

Condolences to your family .
This is a plant in trying to grow but the seeds didnt germinated even after i soaked them in 1500 ppm gibberellic acid.I think they need to be fresh.It also flowers fast afte a year and half when its just one meter tall and the flowers are beautifull and big.
Uvaria Rufa its more common than Uvaria Grandiflora and its totally different,has transparent flesh.

sahai1

• NST, THAILAND
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2019, 05:20:02 AM »
glad to hear it flowers fast!  Perhaps next time try to order the whole fruit instead of seeds.

the Uvaria Rufa is another one in Thailand as well, this is the one called "Cat Breast Banana", heard it was more delicious.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2019, 05:22:12 AM by sahai1 »

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2019, 05:31:28 AM »
Hard to get such rare fruits here in Europe ,but i will buy seeds again from Thailand.Uvaria Rufa they call it Carabao.

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2019, 11:03:56 AM »
Susung-Calabao = Teats-of-Water-Buffalo.  If you just say Carabao/Calabao, you are speaking of Water-Buffalo.
Har

sahai1

• NST, THAILAND
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2019, 12:47:29 PM »
Carabao is the Filipino word for water buffalo in Thai now as "kwai", but Carabao is somewhat a known Thai word, because of a Thai rock band that name themselves Carabao after living in the Philippines.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carabao_(band)  However I still very much doubt that any Thai people call this fruit by 'Gluay Nom Carabao' because the name of the fruit existed before the band.

gluay - กล้วย - is a Thai Homophones, meaning both orchid and banana, seeing as how the vine produced beautiful flowers I considered one translation orchid, but now after reading much more, especially translations as Civet Banana, I believe Thai refer to banana.

nom นม - also a homophone meaning both milk/breast/udder, but I think referring to udder, or what do you call a cats breast?  maybe breast is the best translation.

now the last word after "Gluay Nom" is where get a quite bit of variations -

In Thai Grandiflora and Rufa is used interchangeably with all of these names, and then there are many more names especially from NE and N dialects.
กล้วยนมควาย - Water Buffalo Breast Banana
กล้วยนมวัว - Cow Breast Banana
กล้วยหมูสัง - Civet Banana

so I would not trust any scientific naming, also a third one just saw a name for
กล้วยนมช้าง - https://www.technologychaoban.com/bullet-news-today/article_4280
Uvaria cordata (Dunal) Alston

All I can say for certain, is that in Southern Dialect 'wua' (cow) refer to Grandiflora, and Meaow (cat) refer to Rufa.  Chang (elephant) just read about online, don't think the south has.

« Last Edit: June 07, 2019, 01:07:28 PM by sahai1 »