Author Topic: Anyone familiar with Florida Grande peach?  (Read 2609 times)

chrobrego

• USA, FL, Orlando, 9B
    • View Profile
Anyone familiar with Florida Grande peach?
« on: February 19, 2018, 10:36:09 PM »
I guess this would be a tropical question considering it's a tropical peach. Anyone familiar with the Florida Grande variety?  I have several Tropic Beauties, a tropic snow and a UF Sun. I'd like to add another variety and this was on sale.  Any idea the size of the peaches? 

Coach62

• Naples, FL Zone 10a
    • View Profile
    • Naples Home Inspections
Re: Anyone familiar with Florida Grande peach?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2018, 11:05:35 PM »
If it's one of the UF (University of Florida) varieties, UF actually describes their own peaches on their website.  I have had a few of the UF varieties and have been very impressed.  My peach trees all died in the post Irma flood, I have 2 here to go into the ground and very much look forward to having fresh peaches again.

Here it is, I found it.  This will answer all of your questions.  It will tell you what peach is best for your area.  I highly suggest you just go off of this article, since UF is responsible for almost all of the Florida specific peaches, tomatoes, etc.

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/mg374 

www.ableinspector.com

Stop New Yorking my Florida!

Bruce

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2018, 11:42:38 PM »
I checked out the info from UF and the Florida grande isn't mentioned?
I have one and this is the second year since I planted it. It is suppose to only
need 75 chill hours. I also have a Floridaglow, Floridasnow, tropic beauty, and 2
sunraycers. Last year it only had a couple fruit and they were smaller in size like
the other types. This year it is full of flowers and putting on leaves already.  It is
ahead of everything except my Florida snow. I am very happy with the growth so far
and am really glad I have it. A couple of my peaches are 6-7 years old and I have heard
they don't live long? I heard 10-12 years and recently someone else said 6-8? Every ripe
florida peach I have eaten blows away any Georgia peach. The last several winters we
didn't have enough chill hours and I still get peaches every year. So far the Flroidaglow is
my favorite.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 09:01:32 AM by achetadomestica »

Cythompson159@yahoo.com

• JoJo Mammey
    • East central Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2018, 11:21:54 AM »
I picked up the UF gem, a newer variety from UF, small 5 gallon that I found at lowes😨. I put it in the ground January 29th, since then it blossomed and leaved out. There must be 40-50 peaches on it from the size of a pea to a marble already, I will have to pull off at least 1/2 I assume, but will wait a couple weeks to see it the tree will drop some on its on be I don't want to pull off the strong peaches then have the weak ones fall also. Can't wait to try one of these Florida peaches as it will be my first one yet.

j-grow

• Merritt Island
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2018, 07:22:00 PM »
Your in for a treat!  I have not had that variety but all of the low chill varieties I have had were fantastic.  I agree on letting nature take its course for a bit but definitely eventually thin some fruit ..... they remaining will get bigger

Also the limbs will not be able to support the ones out at the ends so you may want to thin those first and leave the ones on the beefier portions of the branches

Hope that helps

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2018, 07:25:33 PM »
I dont think peaches self thin, at least mine dont.  You need to thin when they are marble sized, do not wait until they get larger.  You want to have 1 fruit per foot or so.  You may have to remove 75% or more.  Remove the fruits that are bad shape, shcratched etc and remove from the ends of branches so that the remaining fruit is putting less stress on the branches.
Brad Spaugh

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk