Author Topic: Coconut Cream Mango tree  (Read 2230 times)

Barnacle1982

• Miami, florida Usa 33176
    • View Profile
Coconut Cream Mango tree
« on: February 22, 2018, 08:01:34 AM »
I currently have a Coconut Cream mango tree that I have had for at least 5 years,  and this is another disappointing year, most of the blooms are falling off again, is this variety a very light producer for everyone?

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
Re: Coconut Cream Mango tree
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2018, 10:40:14 AM »
:D I think this is another cultivar like the carrie that doesn't really start putting out the fruit until it's been in the ground for a good 6 to 8 years. Mine has picked up production as of last year.
Jeff  :-)

Cythompson159@yahoo.com

• JoJo Mammey
    • East central Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2018, 11:29:06 AM »
Scary to hear, I put a larger one in last March  I bought from a nursery that was way to big for the 7 gallon pot, the diameter has doubled in a year to almost 2". I got some cold damage on 1/2 of the trees and just pruned it since I was getting a lot of new growth but no buds yet. I figure it is 4 years old at least and since I bought it in March I didn't see any flowers and not sure if I will get any this year due to the heavy pruning.

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2018, 01:11:56 PM »
6 - 8 years to fruit, or to fruit heavily? Was hoping to have fruit in the next year or 2, planted in ground last year and is currently about 7 - 8 feet tall and a bit spindly. Worth waiting for either way. 

FruitFreak

• USA, FL, Naples, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2018, 01:24:34 PM »
So many things about growing fruit trees are contingent on climate, soil, and stress.  Last year my CC was seriously neglected in a 45gal fabric pot and it managed to produce 15 fruits.  I only ended up getting to eat a couple because of the tree rats but it was the best fruit I tasted last season.  Tree was probably about 4-5yrs old and not located in full sun. 
- Marley

Johnny Redland

• Redland FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2018, 01:45:21 PM »
6 - 8 years to fruit, or to fruit heavily? Was hoping to have fruit in the next year or 2, planted in ground last year and is currently about 7 - 8 feet tall and a bit spindly. Worth waiting for either way.

Mine grew the same way.  It was very stringy up until about 9ft, but after that its really started to fill out.  Late bloomer in the foliage density arena I guess. It's about 11ft now and I'm happy with the density.  Flowering could be better but it looks acceptable this year.

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2018, 02:07:58 PM »
Thanks Johnny and Marley, that is good news. Mine gets full sun only part of the day, but is growing well. Going to baby it and see if can get it to fruit next year.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2018, 02:44:30 PM »
It will produce at, say, 3 years of age. But full / heavier production may not come until it's been in ground for 6+ years. So, it's not uncommon to get a dozen fruits from a tree that's 5 years old (it will set a lot more than that, but will abort many when small).

The CC fruit is a little mild for my taste, but it's good. The tree itself is extremely easy to maintain. They grow somewhat quickly when young but stabilize at around 15 feet tall and wide once mature with a very light pruning. Of the roughly 3 dozen mango trees I have planted out, I'd say it's the easiest to maintain of the group, due mostly to the tendency to "flop" over vs growing vertically. Key is developing a good structural framework when younger if you want to be able to walk under it.

I have two trees, both from the original batch that was released in spring of 2011 if memory holds.
Jeff  :-)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk