Author Topic: Willughbeia outside borneo  (Read 1790 times)

sunny

• Thailand
    • View Profile
Willughbeia outside borneo
« on: February 23, 2018, 03:07:37 AM »
I want to grow Willughbeia but i never read about people who grow it outside Borneo.

Did anybbody try this outside borneo? Did it grow well and make fruit?

KarenRei

• Arctic Member
    • Reykjavík, Iceland
    • View Profile
Re: Willughbeia outside borneo
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2018, 03:25:11 AM »
Lots of Apocynaceae plants are dioecious.  I tried to dig up info on whether Willughbeias are dioecious but failed to find the answer. I did run into a lot of cases of people growing it but never getting fruit, so that makes me suspect dioecy, or at least a need for hand pollination.  Lots of reports of difficulty getting them past the seedling stage, too; be careful with your soil mix when they're seedlings.  Once they get established, though, they're weeds that will smother whatever they grow on  :)  Oh, and they have zero cold tolerance.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2018, 03:38:24 AM by KarenRei »
Já, ég er að rækta suðrænar plöntur á Íslandi. Nei, ég er ekki klikkuð. Jæja, kannski...

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2018, 09:52:35 PM »
It's really hard to get the seeds to sprout. Not sure why. Here they also need hand pollination. Seems we are lacking the proper insect pollinator.
Oscar

KarenRei

• Arctic Member
    • Reykjavík, Iceland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2018, 02:24:34 AM »
It's really hard to get the seeds to sprout. Not sure why. Here they also need hand pollination. Seems we are lacking the proper insect pollinator.

Do you have to cross-pollinate between plants, or is it enough to hand pollinate with the same plant?  Digging up apocynaceae dioecy statuses has proven challenging.
Já, ég er að rækta suðrænar plöntur á Íslandi. Nei, ég er ekki klikkuð. Jæja, kannski...

sunny

• Thailand
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2018, 02:26:23 AM »
Thanks for the help, i will not grow it because it is not easy to grow i think now...

palologrower

• Honolulu, HI, US, Zone 12B
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2018, 02:56:14 AM »

yes very difficult to get the seeds to sprout when the damn APHIS takes the ones that sprouted en route.  ARGH

sunny

• Thailand
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2018, 05:07:12 AM »

yes very difficult to get the seeds to sprout when the damn APHIS takes the ones that sprouted en route.  ARGH

What is that animal Aphis, a monkey or bird?

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2018, 05:12:45 AM »

Had the same happen to me. Well, look at it this way, by law, if any of the seeds in the bag are sprouted they can incincerate the whole bag. It makes their work a lot easier. And i've also had that happen many times.
Oscar

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2018, 05:15:31 AM »

What is that animal Aphis, a monkey or bird?
That hungry animal is the agriculture inspection station inspectors. APHIS is the abbreviated name.
Oscar