Author Topic: bagging Mango graft neccessary? new to grafting  (Read 5410 times)

sahai1

• NST, THAILAND
    • View Profile
bagging Mango graft neccessary? new to grafting
« on: March 05, 2018, 08:06:41 AM »
I filled void with warm beeswax mixed with ash.

Should I plastic bag this with paper bag over?  temps here 90-95, but humid  nights from my misting sprinklers.

Growth very vigorous with mangoes at this time, so shouldn’t graft have plenty of water from cambium?

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
Re: bagging Mango graft neccessary? new to grafting
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2018, 08:42:07 AM »
It doesn't look like the scions a wrapped in any parafilm type tape,
I'd bag them

sahai1

• NST, THAILAND
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2018, 08:58:53 AM »
is baggimg better for direct sun and 90-95 temps?  maybe can find some parafilm tomorrow

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2018, 10:07:27 AM »
If you don't have access to parafilm, you can cut strips from a plastic grocery bag and wrap with those.
Jeff  :-)

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
    • LED Bulbs for Landscape Lighting
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2018, 10:47:15 AM »
best practice is to wait for new shoots and as new shoots harden you graft onto them. I have had little success in bark grafting but if it takes would be strong. Yes, cover with plastic bags otherwise you will lose moisture.  I have in the past covered in plastic bags, and put in a moist cotton/paper towel to maintain moisture.

Seanny

• Garden Grove, Orange County, California, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2018, 12:08:08 PM »
His area could be 90% every day. No need to bag.

sahai1

• NST, THAILAND
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2018, 08:47:35 PM »
usually is bit not this month amd next, likely high 70-80% daytime bit high 80-90 nighttime.
Is 90% humidity optimal for grafts or more?  somestimes humidity here is like 99% or maybe my sensors just not so good.

So even wity high hunidity good to wrap scion in parafilm?

sahai1

• NST, THAILAND
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2018, 04:32:22 PM »
wrapped in grafting ‘wrap’ found my local mom and pop farming store.  Hopefully this wrap increases chance of success and not decreases.  worried it’s quite moist inside due to condensation

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2018, 06:35:35 PM »
When I bark grafted Leo Manuel’s Mango tree, I used white paper bags to cover the scions. I poked holes all around the bags to allow for air flow. I believed the bags protect the scions from extreme temps and thus also helping the scions to form less condensation under the parafilm.

Simon

sahai1

• NST, THAILAND
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2018, 12:28:29 AM »
ok thanks simon, I’ll see what I can come up.   Paper bags are very hard to  come by here.  I saw the farmers in the NE using metallic reflective bags, mylar I guess, that might be easier to fimd here.   But yes, condensation does seem to be forming, and worried.   Two mango trees I have tooped are showing no new buds, worry not only will graft fail but tree will also die.  Maybe I’ll go do some bud grafts as well for more chance of success.

FreshOne

• N. San Diego CA, 10A
    • View Profile

sahai1

• NST, THAILAND
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2018, 05:21:55 AM »
without that 'mylar' bag covering the plastic bag the tree will be rooting under the tape... Just had two grafts fail from that, not only was it starting to root under there but also the scions and half leaves rotted completely.

In the video he stressed to have no air enter the bag, and said should keep the bag over the graft for 2 months.  Video is better than many...but this video really helped me the most:

https://youtu.be/5fxwIKMfVTg

I have a tool just like that and it was perfect, and just pryed open the bark perfectly to expose cambium.

In this video they didn't bag it, or didn't show bagging it.

But trust me without that mylar bag the inside of that bag turns into a rainforest.  So I think bagging is better in combination with the mylar bag.  All the Thai farmers are doing it that way. 

sapote

• USA, CA, Burbank, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2018, 08:52:05 PM »
On the last video, the poor guy tried hard to chop the not-so-big branches down and it bounced like a string. He made little progress. Then the hand saw with two guys on both ends. I was worried the pointed saw poked a hole to the guy stomach or cut his hands. One guy with 4 hands is ok but not two guys on a saw like this. The grafting knife is the biggest I ever seen. Who needs a professional grafting knife after seeing this?

The region was in the raining season I think – very wet ground, and so no bag needed over the scions. They seemed to use melted bee wax to cover the plastic gaps around the scions. I don’t understand why he wasting times cleaning or smoothing around the old bark before peeling if off. The result looks good to me.

FreshOne

• N. San Diego CA, 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2018, 12:07:34 AM »
This guy grafted roots onto mango branch, impressive.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URC82rdE6N8

sahai1

• NST, THAILAND
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2018, 08:00:05 AM »
that's a great video, and glad I could understand what they were saying, some the other Thai videos the accent is impossible to understand.  I wonder what this type of graft is called?  It is half air layer, half graft.

Also they are not 'roots' or maybe you know that, but unless somebody else didn't get it.  Those are seedlings, he recommended to use only a large seed variety of mango.  So that last graft has 5 or 6 rootstocks grafted on!!  It seems like that Mango would be more healthy than a normal seed grown mango.

Sadly these types of multiple root grafts on large diameter stock are rare, I have only seen some farmers doing it (for sale) with Pak Liang, a very easy to air layer tree that is grown for edible leaves.

Brev Grower

• Will trade mango scions
    • USA , Florida, Brevard county
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2018, 09:54:02 AM »
I would graft onto those shoots on the side and I would cover both those and the bark grafts with a plastic bag. Not only to hold in condensation but to provide a little shade to the new graft area. I don't really have any experience with bark grafting, but cleft grafting or veneer grafting works well with mangoes in florida. We have very high humidity. I also would not worry too much about condensation under the parafilm for cleft or veneer. I see it a lot and the grafts do fine. Just remember to leave the grafts alone after you wrap in parafilm and maybe a rubber band around the graft too for better contact. The parafilm will split as the graft grows. I suppose I should mention that I use parafilm up the entire scion, not just the graft site. Truly Tropical on You Tube has a lot of good grafting videos for mangoes. Check it out. Good luck!
E.

sahai1

• NST, THAILAND
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2018, 01:56:15 AM »
thanks for everyone’s help, looks like got pretty good success, and things that helped or didnt help.  And I really like this bark grafting method because so easy to pull and expose cambium, plus m main need is grafting to old established trees on the farm.

a few others are green as well, which I have high hopes, the ones that didnt take are obvious, dried out and dead

so some things which will hopefully
give more success next time—

1.  dip scions in antifungal before inserting
2.  wrap entire scion over top and bud tight!!  very tight, reduces condensation
3.  wait for periods of rain and cloud cover (or find those mylar bags)
4.  better scion stock, I knew this before doing this time but was all I had
5.  clean and acid etch my billhook before use

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk