Citrus > Citrus General Discussion

Picture request

(1/2) > >>

Waiting:
I'd like to see some in-ground, mature trees on Flying Dragon. I was planning on adding a couple of trees on C-35 but with the encroaching Asian citrus psyllid I'm thinking I could maybe enclose a smaller tree.

Millet:
According to the University of California's  Citrus Production Manual, for outdoor in ground trees on Flying Dragon root stock it states...."On Flying Dragon, a strongly dwarfed root stock, orange trees not reaching more than about 7 feet tall after 20 years."

I have a Cara Cara in ground tree on Flying Dragon, and it is 11-ft tall and 11 feet wide.  However, the tree is growing inside a large greenhouse, and is never subject to wind, and other restricting elements, nor uneven temperatures during the winter months.

mrtexas:
I have some 10 xie shan on FD 4 years old. Some are already 5 feet tall.

Waiting:
Thanks for the replies. I guess variety and growing conditions would effect size even when using the same rootstock. One of my 30+ year old Owari Satsumas, on an unknown rootstock, is only about 12' tall. I was thinking of adding a Gold Nugget, and a Moro.

Tom:
Flying dragon is the most dwarfing rootstock that I know of for citrus. I wish I had more of it because some of my other grafted trees are growing too much. I’m 65 years old and and I get on ladders as seldom as possible.

I think Flying Dragon might have a limiting life expectancy. I read about that long ago on the old citrus forum. I think if correct the life expectancy would still be at least 20 + years or probably more. The benefits would out weigh the negatives to me.

Tom

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version