Author Topic: Time of plenty - look at these Pulasans  (Read 6906 times)

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
Time of plenty - look at these Pulasans
« on: March 16, 2018, 10:56:28 PM »
It is the season when durian are ripening and rambutans are in abundance and all manner of fruit are available. They certainly have been in my yard. Longkongs ,duku langsat and duku have also been fruting well.Something I don't grow is pulasans.I know seeds I got from a generous forum member in Malaysia in 2013/14 are producing sibabats and blacks.My brother acquired some from a different source today which were grown at 17s latitude and 400m altitude at Kuranda. They are more cold tolerant than popular opinion would have us believe if Kuranda is suitable.Anyway look at these.

They are not quite black but darker than most sibabat (seebabat) and I would assign them as sibabats.I guess that is the way it goes with seedlings.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
Re: Time of plenty - look at these Pulasans
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2018, 11:10:06 PM »
Oh yeah taste.....and after consuming lots of rambutans specifically and fruit in generally lately I have a re-tuned my taste buds and redeveloped a 'cultured palate'. I have consumed the best rambutans lately like R167,R9,R156 and R134 which I reckon is the best.So how do these pulasan compare? They blow the rambutans away having a more complex taste that is sweeter and less acidic and the testa seed coat does not come away. Are pulasn better than rambutan? You bet they are.

JonM

• Los Baños, Laguna, Philippines 14.1°N
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2018, 12:09:26 AM »
Your preference has finally switched.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2018, 03:06:06 AM »
I was younger when I made rash comments comparing rambutan and pulasan in the past. My taste has matured since then and I have a more considered opinion.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2018, 03:12:11 AM »
Oh yeah taste.....and after consuming lots of rambutans specifically and fruit in generally lately I have a re-tuned my taste buds and redeveloped a 'cultured palate'. I have consumed the best rambutans lately like R167,R9,R156 and R134 which I reckon is the best.So how do these pulasan compare? They blow the rambutans away having a more complex taste that is sweeter and less acidic and the testa seed coat does not come away. Are pulasn better than rambutan? You bet they are.

I still remember your posts years ago when you claimed that pulasans were inferior to rambutans. I'm glad you finally sorted that out.  ;D There's always so much to learn in the tropical fruit world!
Funny you are getting pulasans at same time as durian and duku. I have rambutans, durians, and duku langsat now, but pulasans here usually fruit in early fall.
Oscar

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2018, 03:33:04 AM »
Its all a bit hazy now Oscar but I did genuinely line them up and consume them together before and came to that conclusion at the time. I don't know if the fruit have changed or I have since then.
March is the peak month here for durian, langsat relatives, pulasan, rambutan, keledang,marang and maybe even mahgosteen.Because of rainfall and altitude variation in short distances there is a bit of variation and the season is lengthened because of it for many species,
Seeds of species supposedly with long juvenile development periods like ilama,and pulasan that I have received through this forum are productive fruiting trees now.

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2018, 07:19:47 AM »
We also have pulusan right now along with durian, rambutan, marang, Langsat, Kepel, etc.  It is our secondary season, something that doesn’t happen on the Pacific coast of CR.  Some of this guys have been driving 6-7 hours to come here for durian!
Peter

sunny

• Thailand
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2018, 09:04:23 AM »
Acidic rambutans? I have never found them..only very sweet and very nice one but i only know rongrien variety.

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2018, 02:25:51 PM »
Rambutan can vary more than pulusan. Popular rambutans are very sweet but will lack the complexity of pulusan.
Peter

Raulglezruiz

• Puerto Vallarta,Mexico. Lat 21.5 Semi Tropical
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2018, 06:02:41 PM »
Those Pulasan looks good Mike, the Sibabat I received from you are growing very well, hopefully they fruit soon,
El verde es vida!

Ethan

• Central California Z9/9
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2018, 06:39:31 PM »
They look so delicious Mike!

sahai1

• NST, THAILAND
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2018, 07:55:57 PM »
awesome, I have one tree in the ground now, was getting leaf burn early on, but always enough new fresh growth so that it didn't matter.  A friend of mine in the same area has one that has really taken off in 2 years, so it is good for our area I think, I guess will have to wait for fruiting to know.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2018, 09:21:21 PM »
Its all a bit hazy now Oscar but I did genuinely line them up and consume them together before and came to that conclusion at the time. I don't know if the fruit have changed or I have since then.
March is the peak month here for durian, langsat relatives, pulasan, rambutan, keledang,marang and maybe even mahgosteen.Because of rainfall and altitude variation in short distances there is a bit of variation and the season is lengthened because of it for many species,
Seeds of species supposedly with long juvenile development periods like ilama,and pulasan that I have received through this forum are productive fruiting trees now.
Actually Mike you went further and said years before that nobody planted pulasan in Australia because they were considered inferior in taste to rambutan. GASP!
Oscar

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2018, 09:38:26 PM »
Oscar lets not dwell on the past.I think I must have been influenced by the opinion of others as well. The varieties planted at the Kamerunga fruit station (government fruit evaluation facility)that I sampled included inferior types.Their original recommendation was not to go commercial with pulasan. Some of those have subsequently been reclassified as a different species and some other N.mutabile are not as good. A large green one and one I think referred to as variety Low was good. Anyway the sibabat/seebabat and the black ones that are almost the same.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2018, 09:51:07 PM »
Sorry didn't finish that post.The sibabat band black one obviously are the better types and have real commercial potential if they are productive enough.

Look at one report from 1981
Native bulala can be found in the Philippine mountains, but the fruit is poor. It is, however, used by most propagators as root stock for pulasan because of its strong growth. The introduced pulasan is of a very fine quality, and many who have tasted the fruit consider it superior to that of the Chinese litchi.
The pulasan is a tree that will adapt from sea level to some 300 metres. In fact, in Jakarta, they are raised between 230 and 300 metres above Sea level. It prefers a well-distributed rainfall and is more resistant to drought than the rambutan.
The first imports to the Philippines were from Indonesia in 1912 and were grown from seed. However, the more successful pulasan was introduced as a budded plant, but its variety is not known. The fruit are of very fine quality, and it is suspected that it is of the sibabat variety. Some of the commercial varieties in Indonesia are koeneng, merah, poetih and sibabat.

The Kamerung varieties from the 1970s were,
Pulasan varieties: Dow, Lee, P1, P3, P36, Sibabat, Unnamed
There were others that were brought in the 1980s.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2018, 03:23:01 AM »
Sorry didn't finish that post.The sibabat band black one obviously are the better types and have real commercial potential if they are productive enough.

Look at one report from 1981
Native bulala can be found in the Philippine mountains, but the fruit is poor. It is, however, used by most propagators as root stock for pulasan because of its strong growth. The introduced pulasan is of a very fine quality, and many who have tasted the fruit consider it superior to that of the Chinese litchi.
The pulasan is a tree that will adapt from sea level to some 300 metres. In fact, in Jakarta, they are raised between 230 and 300 metres above Sea level. It prefers a well-distributed rainfall and is more resistant to drought than the rambutan.
The first imports to the Philippines were from Indonesia in 1912 and were grown from seed. However, the more successful pulasan was introduced as a budded plant, but its variety is not known. The fruit are of very fine quality, and it is suspected that it is of the sibabat variety. Some of the commercial varieties in Indonesia are koeneng, merah, poetih and sibabat.

The Kamerung varieties from the 1970s were,
Pulasan varieties: Dow, Lee, P1, P3, P36, Sibabat, Unnamed
There were others that were brought in the 1980s.
I have fruiting bulala, and wouldn't say the fruit quality is poor. They are not as good as pulasan or rambutan, but still pretty darned good, and extremely  productive.a They are very juicy and have unique taste.  The bulala are compatible with pulasan but not a great rootstock as it tends to sprout a lot below the graft and eventually overpowers the scion if not very regularly pruned back.
Oscar

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2018, 08:45:53 PM »
We also have pulusan right now along with durian, rambutan, marang, Langsat, Kepel, etc.  It is our secondary season, something that doesn’t happen on the Pacific coast of CR.  Some of this guys have been driving 6-7 hours to come here for durian!
Peter

Don't tempt me...

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2018, 06:29:37 AM »

This redder, larger kind of pulasan has thicker flesh, a more tangy taste and the flesh has a different texture. It sure is good

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2018, 05:32:25 PM »

This redder, larger kind of pulasan has thicker flesh, a more tangy taste and the flesh has a different texture. It sure is good
Look nice and large, but what does interior look like?
Oscar

shot

• usa fl bokeelia 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2018, 06:05:31 PM »
Oscar when I was visiting the big island few years ago,I stopped at usda hilo and Dr zee let me tour facilities with some workers and we ate are way through rambutans and Pulasans.Anyway only one big red rambutan could hold it's own with the pulasans all the pulasans where excellent big purple ones,the seedlings were as good as the grafted ones.That purple strain of pulasan pop up at different fruit stands around island like smileys down at green mountain.What is the name of that strain it was better than most I have tried since.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2018, 06:17:47 PM »
Oscar when I was visiting the big island few years ago,I stopped at usda hilo and Dr zee let me tour facilities with some workers and we ate are way through rambutans and Pulasans.Anyway only one big red rambutan could hold it's own with the pulasans all the pulasans where excellent big purple ones,the seedlings were as good as the grafted ones.That purple strain of pulasan pop up at different fruit stands around island like smileys down at green mountain.What is the name of that strain it was better than most I have tried since.
The purple strain you had is probably Seebabat. You are very lucky to have found them at Smiley's. I've never ever seen them there! Very rarely they do appear at Hilo Farmer's market, usually in October, and usually at Pam's stand.
The experimental station you visited has 2 sections, one is the federal part that you visited. But much larger is the part run by the state. There are lots more pulasans planted in the state section than there are in the federal part. The seedlings you tasted in the federal part are all ones Dr. Zee selected from state planting for best quality.  That is why they all tasted good to you. Ditto for his rambutans. But you will have to take my word for there being seedling pulasans that are not that good. Main problem with a lot of poor quality seedlings is that the pulp adheres very tightly to the seeds.
I've never had a rambutan that matched the quality of the best of the pulasans. Rambutans just don't have the wide flavor range that pulasans can.  I have had rambutans that matched quality of average quality pulasans though.
Oscar

shot

• usa fl bokeelia 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2018, 07:32:54 PM »
Some young girl had them at  Smiley's it wasn't her.The one good rambutan I had was [almost] as good ,but the pulasans were free stone and now have jaded my taste to others.The workers were happy to take me around it got them out of work for like 3 hours

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2018, 08:33:43 PM »
The interior are just the same as the one above next to the forum title and to the right.The flesh may b a little more transparent.It is most seedling trees around here and they have fruit quality on par with grafted and marcotted trees from what I have seen so far.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2018, 05:49:32 AM »

I received seeds from supposed sibabats of good quality in late 2013/ early 2014.Some of those seedlings are now fruiting after a precocious development. A friend brought me a few fruit from a high performing individual tree and they are eye popping and great to eat. Feast your eyes on these.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2018, 04:15:31 PM »
Look nice and big! Reason i asked for photo of interior is that some of those big ones have really thick rind. So while they look big the interior edible portion is about same size as rambutan.
Oscar