Author Topic: New Mandarin Considered World's Best Tasting Citrus  (Read 3924 times)

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
New Mandarin Considered World's Best Tasting Citrus
« on: May 03, 2018, 12:36:00 PM »
 It is named Spring Sunshine Mandarin

It is considered the best mutation of the Murcott mandarin officially registered and stands out for its harvest schedule, which is the latest in the Spanish market. It runs from mid-March to mid-May. Also worth noting is the color of this variety, as well as its intense, very sweet flavor and excellent juice content (more than 50%). According to David Alba, its Brix ranges between 15 and 17 degrees, making it one of the sweetest citrus fruits there is.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2018, 12:37:34 PM by Millet »

citrange

• UK - 15 miles west of London
    • View Profile
    • Home Citrus growers
Re: New Mandarin Considered World's Best Tasting Citrus
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2018, 03:58:38 AM »
Why are sweeter fruits always promoted as being the best?
Nothing can beat the flavour of a true lemon, yet people are being encouraged to use the sweeter Meyer's.
The taste of the old grapefruits was bitter but delicious. Now the sweet varieties are the only one's available.
We know that the human system craves sweetness dating from times when it was very rarely available, but now sugary products are everywhere - and they are killing us!
The UK is introducing a sugar tax on sweetened drinks. Perhaps it should be extended to over-sweet citrus too!

z_willus_d

• US, CA, Roseville, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2018, 01:21:32 PM »
I couldn't agree more with citrange's comments, and they apply to other products like wine, chocolate and coffee as well.  Sweetness is mask that enhances (or detracts from) the underlying essence of a thing; something like too much salt on the meat or too much oak in the wine.  All that said, I'd love to try one of these Mandarin.

CA Hockey

• Orange, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2018, 02:37:11 PM »
On the whole I agree with the above. My best mandarin so far is daisy (sl?) and I still love the taste of the Algerian.  Daisy esp tastes rich and complex. The only thing I wonder about sugar content is that, up to a point, increased sugar and sugar by products and metabolites can enhance other flavors when mixed around. Too much certainly is overpowering.
K

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2018, 03:16:55 PM »
I fully agree with Citrange on grapefruit.  I like white grapefruit much more than the reds that are commonly sold today.  It is hard to find white grapefruit anymore. However, years ago I planted a white Marsh seedless grapefruit, that produces wonderful fruit, fruit that taste like a grapefruit should taste.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2018, 04:55:37 PM by Millet »

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2018, 05:02:26 PM »
 Citrange wrote: "The UK is introducing a sugar tax on sweetened drinks".  Sure sounds like a decision a government would think of. The only thing that accomplishes is to remove even more money from the public and give it to government

citrange

• View Profile
    • Home Citrus growers
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2018, 06:22:16 PM »
Sugar-free soft drinks are widely available and now will be cheaper than sugary versions. That should encourage people to choose the healthier versions. It is not designed to increase the overall tax take!

CA Hockey

• Orange, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2018, 06:42:02 PM »
Without getting into a policy debate, I understand the reasoning behind the sugar tax. I don’t believe, however, that these types of taxes have proven to work. I can’t find the data but I seem to recall that similar efforts such as drawing attention to calorie counts and making people more aware of what they are eating actually resulted in more of the unhealthy consumption. It was as if people would look at the information or price and make extra justification to buy or consume. By the time you get to the register, you’ve already made up your mind that that’s what you want to buy.

K

Tom

• USA, Alabama,Montgomery, zone 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2018, 07:12:36 PM »
Either a tax is to raise money for the public good or its to punish adults in a free world. Yes, to make the people do what the government thinks is best for all. Probably a little bit of both I guess. I don’t like the punitive idea for a free republic.

I’d agree that moderation is best in all things but I don’t like the government looking over my shoulder telling me what to do.

Since income taxes started there is way too much intervention in our private lives that was never intended by our forefathers. We are on a long slippery slope it seems to me.

citrange

• View Profile
    • Home Citrus growers
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2018, 07:57:30 AM »
I think that here in Europe we have a slightly different view of 'government' from many Americans.
In a democracy, the government is elected by the people for the people. Tax doesn't go to the government, but to the people.
Mostly, we still hope and believe and expect politicians to work for the general good, rather than enriching themselves.
Anyway, enough of political theory - let's get back to citrus!
I'm glad others share my view that the best tasting citrus doesn't have to be the sweetest.

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2018, 12:50:39 PM »
I much prefer sweeter fruit but at some point, a fruit can become too sweet. I haven’t ever tasted a citrus that I would consider as being too sweet.

Let’s take oranges or Tangerines for example. Whatever you are growing, let’s say Tango, Gold Nugget, Pixie or whatever, I’ll bet the majority of palates prefer a fruit with 18% Brix over a fruit that is 12% Brix.

I’m saying that I like sweet fruit but I’m Not saying I don’t like acidity. Without acidity to balance out the sugars, a fruit can taste bland and lack complexity and depth of flavor. This must be why at Fruit evaluations, the sugar to acid ratio is given.

I understand some people just prefer fruit that is less sweet due to diabetes or just personal preference and more power to them.

Simon

Tom

• USA, Alabama,Montgomery, zone 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2018, 06:20:48 PM »
Variability meaning consistency should be considered too. There is unexplained variability in most foods to some extent and often a lot of it ! Weather temps, water, fertilizer,  timing of all variables and so forth makes each year different ! I have found blind taste very interesting. Very seldom have I seen repeatable taste winners that dominate from year to year. Tom
« Last Edit: May 15, 2018, 11:18:13 PM by Tom »

laidbackdood

• Perth.Western Australia.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2018, 08:13:11 AM »
I have a honey murcott that is yet to fruit but it looks bloody healthy and big and i look forward to it flowering then.