Author Topic: Best time to relocate Fig?  (Read 1817 times)

Triloba Tracker

• Psalms 104:14
    • USA, Middle Tennessee, Zone 7a
    • View Profile
Best time to relocate Fig?
« on: July 04, 2018, 03:13:51 PM »
I have a fig in the ground since last April or May.....I want to move it to another spot.

Assuming the best time to do this would be the fall, once it's totally dormant, or perhaps late winter/early spring before it breaks bud.

Thoughts/advice/cautionary tales?  I've never moved a tree before, so any other general advice is appreciated.

coyote

• US, Wisconsin, Madison, Zone 5
    • View Profile
Re: Best time to relocate Fig?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2018, 11:06:58 AM »
my guess is the same as yours...fall after it is completely dormant...that seems to be when most tree nurseries move their trees and you'd have to think they somewhat know what they are doing

Fig-Doctor

• Florida West Palm Beach
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2018, 02:02:20 PM »
my guess is the same as yours...fall after it is completely dormant...that seems to be when most tree nurseries move their trees and you'd have to think they somewhat know what they are doing

In my experience, Some are very sensitive(like a Avocado tree). Fig trees does not have sensitive root system. I think you can move anytime as long as you be careful. But be careful, Fig tree don't like chemical Fertilizer when the root system is weak.

Triloba Tracker

• Psalms 104:14
    • USA, Middle Tennessee, Zone 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2018, 03:08:36 PM »
Thanks! I did some more research and saw some references to avoiding fall due to concerns of cold sensitivity over that first winter. I figure it’d probably not matter especially with heavy mulch for protection, but it does seem like early spring before bud break could be safest option.
Not sure if figs actually have active roots over winter or not.
Some things, like pawpaw, go 100% dormant and thus have no advantage with fall planting