Author Topic: Banana photo diagnosis request  (Read 665 times)

TerraFrutisEcuador

• Morona-Santiago Province, Ecuador
    • View Profile
    • TerraFrutis.com
Banana photo diagnosis request
« on: August 10, 2018, 11:53:43 PM »
So this area seems to have degraded soil, I’m assuming low ph from agricultural mining but it’s also been left to the wild for a couple decades and might have decent ph. I’m not sure. It is tropical ecuador at roughly 850 meter elevation the canopy was opened when the bananas were planted roughly 4 months ago. Any idea why they have the unhealthy growth habit? Slow growth and overly compact leaves it seems to me. It looks kind of like bunch top but the plants we took the suckers from don’t have this disease so I think it is soil nutrients or ph..?

https://www.apsnet.org/publications/imageresources/Pages/FI00162.aspx

I will try given them urine, calcium and maybe magnesium sulphate. I haven’t had soil testing done because it’s a long ways and unfamiliar process down here in Ecuador but it’s on my to do list.

Any experience with this and recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

« Last Edit: August 11, 2018, 12:51:38 AM by TerraFrutisEcuador »

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
Re: Banana photo diagnosis request
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2018, 08:04:45 AM »
Maybe just nitrogen deficiency.
Typical symptoms of nitrogen deficiency in banana are general yellowing of leaves, rose colored tints on petioles (Figs 5, 6) and leaf sheaths, stunting, resetting, slender pseudostem, small petioles and leaves, and reduced life span of leaves. Banana is more sensitive to a lack of nitrogen than any other element, and. Nitrogen deficiency causes notable reduction in yield.
Nitrogen deficiency symptoms:  petioles turn pink to violet, and distance between them becomes extremely short
see:
http://www.haifa-group.com/crop-guide/fruit-trees/crop-guide-banana/banana-guide-plant-nutrition