Citrus > Citrus General Discussion

Keeping Kumquats?

(1/4) > >>

Empoweredandfree:
The weather is changing so soon my trees are coming in but space is limited and I'm debating keeping kumquats... Here are two varities I have...

1.) Meiwa-Producing fruit now, perfect compact tree, but never tried the fruit. Heard its good but was curious if its worth the effort to grow indoors..

2.) Centennial Variegated-Beautiful looking but based on my reading some say its great others says its just a Nagami (which I dislike).

Thanks in advance for any feedback..

brian:
I am fascinated by kumquats and have collected nearly every variety.   I have a thread I've been updating with my opinion of the various kumquats & their hybrids:   http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=22406.0

Definitely try the meiwa fruit, it is much sweeter than nagami as it has less juice and more pulp. 

If you don't like meiwa either, you probably just don't like kumquats as meiwa and nagami represent the sweetest and most sour ends of the kumquat spectrum. 

00christian00:
I like Kumquat a lot, they are a easy and fast snack.
On the contrary to most I like the normal small variety, exactly because it's more juicy.
I got a Meiwa, around 2 years ago and I didn't like it much because it was way too dry.
The first batch which came from the nursery was completely dry, like zero juice. The second batch was slightly better but I still prefer the juiciness of normal kumquat.
Plus mine was terribly full of seeds, like 2/3 of the fruit so not so enjoyable.
I have some giant kumquat which is similar to Meiwa( sweeter and dryer) but at least that has few seeds.

One of my favorites is the Orangequat variegated(which looks very similar to the centennial, not sure if they are same), very sweet and tasting like an orange.
The only drawback here is that peel is harder than normal kumquat, and although it's not unpleasant it ruin a little the enjoyment.

Yorgos:
I have had a meiwa planted in the ground for almost 20 years without protection here in the Houston, Texas area.  It has done very well. Its about 10 ft high and 6 feet across.  The fruit is great for marmalade, add to salads or just eat straight from the tree. It is sweeter, and drier, than my changshou, which I also like. It just barely gets ripe by thanksgiving but you really need to wait until after New Years for the most consistent, sweetest taste.  How does seedless meiwa taste compared to the one with seeds? 

brian:
I'm not aware of any seedless meiwa, only seedless nagami (nordmann).  Is that what you mean?  If there is a seedless meiwa I would love to get one.

My first batch of meiwa was very dry and awful.  However my second crop was more juicy and was excellent.  Because of this I'm hesitant to judge a variety too much until I've had a few crops.  For something in between, Marumi is really good.  I think its better than meiwa and almost on par with fukushu/changshou

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version