Author Topic: Using Coconut Water as a Soil Amendment?  (Read 4805 times)

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • Pembroke Pines, FL, 33024, 10b
    • View Profile
Using Coconut Water as a Soil Amendment?
« on: December 08, 2012, 06:17:53 PM »
Here is a quote I've read: "Coconut water has a high potassium content and contains antioxidants.[4] It also contains cytokinins[5] which promote plant cell division and growth. "

I just bought two young coconut palms and I'm wondering if I can use the coconut water for my fruit trees as a soil amendment in the future when I harvest the coconuts?

Thanks for your help.  :)
Alexi

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
Re: Using Coconut Water as a Soil Amendment?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2012, 06:33:37 PM »
I think its not cost or labor effective...not enough nutrients available in coconut water (liquid form).

But it's a great idea...maybe good for certain applications, where only high ph water is available, and a grower needs access to better neutral water, via coconut. (i'm not sure of coconut water Ph, but im pretty sure  its acid or neutral, not alkaline)

maybe it could be useful for cerrado sp? where someone doesn't have access to good ph water?

Otherwise, just drink the coconuts, and pee on your plants!   ;D ;D  I bet that will be more nutritious for your trees.

( I'm not sure about the plant growth hormone! that could be something your on to!!  :o  sorry I just noticed that part of your post!!)
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2012, 06:36:21 PM »
Here is a quote I've read: "Coconut water has a high potassium content and contains antioxidants.[4] It also contains cytokinins[5] which promote plant cell division and growth. "

I just bought two young coconut palms and I'm wondering if I can use the coconut water for my fruit trees as a soil amendment in the future when I harvest the coconuts?

How about you give me the coconut water to drink :). If your trying to spur plant growth with plant byproducts, you should try fermented stevia and moringa leaves in water (heard some buzz about it working).
« Last Edit: December 08, 2012, 06:43:13 PM by nullzero »
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2012, 06:48:52 PM »
I think its not cost or labor effective...not enough nutrients available in coconut water (liquid form).

But it's a great idea...maybe good for certain applications, where only high ph water is available, and a grower needs access to better neutral water, via coconut. (i'm not sure of coconut water Ph, but im pretty sure  its acid or neutral, not alkaline)

maybe it could be useful for cerrado sp? where someone doesn't have access to good ph water?

Otherwise, just drink the coconuts, and pee on your plants!   ;D ;D  I bet that will be more nutritious for your trees.

( I'm not sure about the plant growth hormone! that could be something your on to!!  :o  sorry I just noticed that part of your post!!)

lol I don't think I'll be peeing on the trees in front of my neighbors.  ;D  ;) Yeah, I'm not sure whether that plant hormone in coconut water is a fact or not since it's wikipedia.  Even though it makes sense since the palm uses it's fruit for nutrition storage. 
Alexi

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2012, 06:51:30 PM »

How about you give me the coconut water to drink :). If your trying to spur plant growth with plant byproducts, you should try fermented stevia and moringa leaves in water (heard some buzz about it working).

Thanks for the advice. I'll be drinking the water from the coconuts as well.  If you are in the area, I won't mind giving you some coconuts to drink from.  :) That will probably be at least 3 or 4 years from now before I will be able to harvest coconuts anyways.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2012, 07:22:11 PM by Tropicalgrower89 »
Alexi

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2012, 01:18:32 AM »

yes moringa has zeatin cytokinins plus minerals and anti fungal properties to boot.  can be used as a foliar spray.

comfrey is like a green manure you can grow.  I didn't know about stevia being used this way, although I have did read something about some insecticidal properties it has.

coconut water is too valuable IMO to use as a soil amendment,  make coconut oil, or let them dry and use the "meat" to grate in recipes.  or you can just drink the coconut water over ice. 
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2012, 01:50:48 AM »
Here is a article on the Stevia leaves; http://www.biotecharticles.com/Agriculture-Article/Stevia-Rebaudiana-as-a-Fertilizer-512.html

I was trying to dig up the scientific data on it, I believe the article was derived from an Indian study on stevia other potential uses.
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2012, 04:32:18 AM »

I remember somebody asked same exact question i think on the yahoo newsgroup long time ago. Answer is yes coconut water is beneficial to plants. But why not drink the water yourself? It's like watering your plants with watermelon juice or pineapple juice. I guess if you have an overabundance then why not? But otherwise it's a big waste of valuable human food.
Oscar

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2012, 03:54:13 PM »

I remember somebody asked same exact question i think on the yahoo newsgroup long time ago. Answer is yes coconut water is beneficial to plants. But why not drink the water yourself? It's like watering your plants with watermelon juice or pineapple juice. I guess if you have an overabundance then why not? But otherwise it's a big waste of valuable human food.

I'm planning to do it if have an overabundance of coconuts. I will drink from a few of them and let the others ripe more to eat their meat with some sugar and enjoy it. :) I just have to find out the proper stage at which the water in the coconut is at it's sweetest point. I bought two types of coconut seedlings. I'm thinking about making a separate thread to find out more or less what cultivar they are. 
Alexi

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2012, 01:23:19 AM »

Don't forget to also add the chopped up coconut husks. They take a long time to break down but make excellent soil once they do.

I'm planning to do it if have an overabundance of coconuts. I will drink from a few of them and let the others ripe more to eat their meat with some sugar and enjoy it. :) I just have to find out the proper stage at which the water in the coconut is at it's sweetest point. I bought two types of coconut seedlings. I'm thinking about making a separate thread to find out more or less what cultivar they are.
Oscar

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2012, 02:57:56 PM »

Don't forget to also add the chopped up coconut husks. They take a long time to break down but make excellent soil once they do.

Cool. Didn't know that. Thanks for letting me know.  :)
Alexi