Author Topic: Mangos with long shelf life?  (Read 6490 times)

Mr. Clean

• FLMangos.com
    • US, FL, West Palm Beach, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
    • Florida's Finest Mangos
Mangos with long shelf life?
« on: December 09, 2012, 01:49:57 AM »
Which fiberless mangos have a long shelf life (good storage characteristics)? 

Thanks.
www.FLMangos.com

110+ fruit trees/plants; 60+ mango trees; 9 jackfruit; 6 avocado; 3 persimmon; longan; and a dog that keeps raccoons and squirrels away.

Tim

• Global Moderator
    • USA, Escondido, CA 92027, zone 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Mangos with long shelf life?
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2012, 02:09:56 AM »
Keitt
Tim

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2012, 08:36:40 AM »
Keitt

Keitt definitely has a long shelf life but it isn't really fiberless.

Truly fiberless mangoes tend to have short shelf-lives because they will actually bruise just sitting on a counter.

Imo, Southern Blush is the best "good" mango with a very extended shelf-life. Pickering also seems to have a nice shelf life from what I've seen.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2012, 09:07:23 AM »
Keitt

Keitt definitely has a long shelf life but it isn't really fiberless.

Truly fiberless mangoes tend to have short shelf-lives because they will actually bruise just sitting on a counter.

Imo, Southern Blush is the best "good" mango with a very extended shelf-life. Pickering also seems to have a nice shelf life from what I've seen.
I agree with Pickering though I would not call Pickering completely fiberless.

IMO, Southern Blush does NOT have a long shelf life.  From the 100s+ I have seen, they soften  to very soft fairly quickly.

I would go back to Alex's original statement, "Truly fiberless mangoes tend to have short shelf-lives because they will actually bruise just sitting on a counter".
« Last Edit: December 09, 2012, 11:25:14 AM by bsbullie »
- Rob

Patrick

• Administrator
    • USA, Palm Beach, FL 33467, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2012, 09:20:46 AM »
Mallika
« Last Edit: December 09, 2012, 09:24:11 AM by pj1881 (Patrick) »

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2012, 09:35:10 AM »
Mallika
That is a little deceiving as if picked "ripe", than it has a very short shelf life.  If picked mature green, than yes, along with Neelam, Alphonso, Imam Pasand and most other Indian mangoes it will have a "long shelf life" but that is because of the lengthy time period from waiting for the fruit to go from mature green to a ripe eating stage.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2012, 11:25:28 AM by bsbullie »
- Rob

Squam256

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2012, 11:21:39 AM »
I would not call Pickering completely fiberless.

I wouldn't either. its got a little bit of fiber; kind of like Keitt.

NedNickerson

• Northern Illinois, for now
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2012, 11:44:35 AM »
If picked mature but not ripe, Kent, like Keit, has a long shelf life.  It will often require 7-10 days to ripen if picked mature green.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2012, 05:24:27 PM »
KP's have a shelf life of around 10 to 15 days are picked green and hard but still ripen nicely even before any blush of color develops. Calypso has perhaps the longest shelf life of all mangoes with ripe ones sitting in my fruit bowl for weeks .Calypso resists rotting and bruising and is very firm with almost no fiber.The are bright red and yellow while still green.

BMc

• Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2012, 05:44:33 PM »
Calypso. I've had one sitting on the top of the fridge for 2 weeks while I've had to clear a box of orange R2E2s and got around to eating the Calypso this morning. It was probably better for having sat around that long. It has very little fibre and the flesh can be sucked from the seed like jelly. Seed is very thin also.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2012, 06:29:49 PM »
If Al Jolson can sing about a Pouteria then John Denver can sing about a variety of mango.

natsgarden123

« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2012, 06:42:34 PM »
Ate a Keitt that was in someone's fridge for 2 months- the outside looked pretty bad the the inside was great

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2012, 07:21:15 PM »
Ate a Keitt that was in someone's fridge for 2 months- the outside looked pretty bad the the inside was great

:( :( :'( :'(
- Rob

mangomandan

• When a man is tired of mangos, he is tired of life
    • USA, Lake Worth, Florida, 33461, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2012, 08:24:08 PM »
A ripe Dot can last a long time in the fridge, too.  It will look awful but taste very sweet and luscious.

Squam256

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2012, 11:34:21 PM »
I once left a ripe Keitt in the fridge for almost month and it was still good.

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2012, 02:31:40 AM »
Almost any mangoes shelf life can be extended if its put in the fridge.

Keitt's reputation for long shelf life can be attributed to its ability to ripen properly from an early harvest.

some mango varieties if picked too early just do not seem to ripen properly, but Keitt is one of those dual purpose varieties, that can be picked as soon as the shoulders are full.  and can take -3-4 weeks or maybe more at room temperature.

another factor is fungus on the skin,  if recently picked mangoes are washed in some kind of anti fungal solution, this may prevent them rotting prematurely.  anthracanose on the surface of the skin can spread rapidly.

I think its pretty safe to assume that any cultivar that has the ability to ripen properly if picked at the mature green stage, is a good selection for long shelf life.

Keitt is popular for exporters, because it can be picked green, and maintains a great percentage of its quality, when passing through post harvest processing, other attractive attributes, are size, and productivity of the fruit.

I have collected dozens of papers and reports on varieties with reported "long shelf lives" but this is all relative, a particular report may say that Neelam, has a  good shelf life,  but what are they comparing it to? Alphonso? Kesar?  and how do those varieties compare to Keitt or KP.  and what is considered good or excellent ? 2 weeks , 3, 4 ?   

I get the feeling most back yard growers, prefer their fruit  tree ripened, and I do not blame them, I also prefer them that way. or at least picked when just a few days before peak ripeness.

a big determining factor in the shelf life is ambient temperatures, the cooler it is the longer the fruit will keep.
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2012, 03:00:43 AM »
Calypso was bred to extend shelf life at room temp and minimize bruising.It is one of the types that tend to shrivel with age rather than get black marks and rot.It can be bright red and yellow and just looks ripe being hard enough to crack macadamias.Keitt does seem to have good shelf life and can be picked early as well.Tropicdude that is one of the selling points of keitt to growers the early picking and long shelf life.

mangomandan

• When a man is tired of mangos, he is tired of life
    • USA, Lake Worth, Florida, 33461, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2012, 09:30:48 AM »
Tropicdude, I've wondered about washing mangoes in an anti-fungal solution.   Is this something that's practical for the home grower?   Have you tried it?

Mr. Clean

• FLMangos.com
    • US, FL, West Palm Beach, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
    • Florida's Finest Mangos
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2012, 01:51:40 PM »
Thanks to all who responded.  I have a lot to think about now.  I am also curious, what is the preferred anti-fungal for post harvest mangos?  Do we soak them in a copper solution? 
www.FLMangos.com

110+ fruit trees/plants; 60+ mango trees; 9 jackfruit; 6 avocado; 3 persimmon; longan; and a dog that keeps raccoons and squirrels away.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2012, 02:32:04 PM »
You are asking if you should soak the fruit on copper fungicide after harvest??  If so, the answer is NO.
- Rob

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2012, 03:35:27 PM »
Tropicdude, I've wondered about washing mangoes in an anti-fungal solution.   Is this something that's practical for the home grower?   Have you tried it?

No not like copper fungicide, there are commercial products for those purposes, not sure what a backyard grower would use that would be safe.

I am not concerned at the moment with long shelf life, as I usually buy or pick them when they are almost ready to eat.  so I have never had the need to do that, I just wash the fruit with water.  ( i do not eat the skin ), although I will be very concerned with this if and when I ever get my dream plantation going someday.  I want to have a healthy , natural and sustainable solution, to any post harvest treatments, in addition to fertilizer, and pest controls.

Here is a link with some info on the topic of pre/post harvest treatments.
http://www.fspublishers.org/ijab/past-issues/IJABVOL_13_NO_5/7.pdf
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk