Author Topic: Gitaan looks delicious but don't know anything about it (APOCYNACEAE)  (Read 2242 times)

red durian

• Malaysia, Sabah, Tawau
    • View Profile

Here is all I can find out from Google searching:

It is from Kalimantan, Borneo and is named Gitaan.  The species name is Leuconotis corpidae and it is in the Apocynaceae family.

Does anyone know anything more about this fruit?  Is is from a shrub, tree or vine?  Is it acidic and or sweet?

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
Re: Gitaan looks delicious but don't know anything about it (APOCYNACEAE)
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2012, 11:23:48 PM »
Hmmm, huh, what?  ??? Never heard of it. Looks superficially like a Landolphia fruit from Africa. That superficial resemblance leads me to hazard to guess that it's a vine fruit.
Oscar

red durian

• Malaysia, Sabah, Tawau
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2012, 11:34:38 PM »
Yes, I agree.  I felt certain it must be Apocynaceae when comparing it with a Landolphia fruit too.  But since Natal Plum is a thorny shrub, I wonder about the form of the plant.  I suppose a thorny shrub is what you find in a dry place with animal browsers.  It would be smarter to be a vine in the tall forests of Kalimantan.  I will go with the vine guess too.   I wonder when if ever, we will know the answer....

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2012, 02:14:22 AM »
It is much like Willughbeia sarawakensis and W.angustifolia in the same family.Tampirik is another common name.There are plenty of vines in that family.

red durian

• Malaysia, Sabah, Tawau
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2012, 07:38:20 AM »
It is much like Willughbeia sarawakensis and W.angustifolia in the same family.Tampirik is another common name.There are plenty of vines in that family.

Thanks for mentioning the Willughbeia genus.  I had never heard of it.  I wish I had time to roam around Sarawak looking for one.

BMc

• Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2012, 05:17:19 PM »
There were a few brought into north queensland a while ago, but I'm not sure what happened to them. I think the growers might have given up on them after constant weather and personal setbacks... Mike, have you heard of them being in NQ from your talks with PS and co?