Author Topic: Rambutan Available at Oriental Market in West Palm Beach  (Read 2708 times)

natsgarden123

Rambutan Available at Oriental Market in West Palm Beach
« on: January 28, 2013, 02:19:20 PM »
$6.00 a pound

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Rambutan Available at Oriental Market in West Palm Beach
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2013, 02:40:48 PM »
Is this the market on Forest Hills near Congress? 

What is the quality/taste of these?  Where are they from?  How sweet are they?  Are they dry?  Does the flesh stick to the seed or easily separate?  have you had others ro compare them to?
- Rob

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2013, 02:45:51 PM »
I have a 4 year old R134 that I have been eating the first fruit from in the last week.They look just like that one in the picture and have almost no testa clinging to the flesh.It is flowering again while ripe fruit is on.

natsgarden123

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2013, 03:10:44 PM »
Is this the market on Forest Hills near Congress? 

What is the quality/taste of these?  Where are they from?  How sweet are they?  Are they dry?  Does the flesh stick to the seed or easily separate?  have you had others ro compare them to?

Yes- its the Oriental Market- Forest Hill and Florida Mango-

I don't know where they are from.

They taste OK- I have had these before and these aren't the best ( but not the worst either).  They are not dry. And they are very sweet.

The seed easily separates but parts of the seed membrane do stick a bit.

Everyone has different tastes...  I think they are overall, good enough to enjoy.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2013, 10:08:41 PM »
http://rfcarchives.org.au/Next/Fruits/Rambutan/RambutanBig11-81.htm
These are the types around from 30 years ago cultivator and there are not many others.R137 just isn't around any more and R138 never was so it could be R134 or R167.The same ones keep getting planted now......jitleee,binjai.......rongrien.......R9,134,156(y),162 and 167.R9 and R134 have great tasting fruit that doesn't stick to the testa as much.
Show the fruit and I'll see if it does ring some bells.I have eaten and looked at trees of the above types.

BMc

• Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2013, 10:32:26 PM »
I have a hard time finding nice, fresh fruit with no testa. One thing that will kill acceptance of a fruit dead in its tracks is wood in the flesh. Too bad there are so many crap ones on the market, as the good ones are pretty damn good. As a side note, a friend who lives on the other side of town tells me there is a 'rambutan farm' in Brisbane. Someone planted out a whole heap of trees a few years back. They have not grown an inch - though they havent died, so they are doing better than I would have thought. Who knows, maybe one of them will decide to grow and spawn the first cold tolerant rambutan - but for now its just a stand of trees to giggle at.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2013, 12:58:52 AM »
I have a hard time finding nice, fresh fruit with no testa. One thing that will kill acceptance of a fruit dead in its tracks is wood in the flesh. Too bad there are so many crap ones on the market, as the good ones are pretty damn good. As a side note, a friend who lives on the other side of town tells me there is a 'rambutan farm' in Brisbane. Someone planted out a whole heap of trees a few years back. They have not grown an inch - though they havent died, so they are doing better than I would have thought. Who knows, maybe one of them will decide to grow and spawn the first cold tolerant rambutan - but for now its just a stand of trees to giggle at.

Even if they grow doesn't mean they will fruit. And even if they fruit doesn't mean they will produce sellable amount. Sounds like somebody didn't do their homework.
Oscar

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk