Author Topic: Phyllanthus acidus  (Read 8908 times)

KarenRei

• Arctic Member
    • Reykjavík, Iceland
    • View Profile
Re: Phyllanthus acidus
« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2018, 06:17:11 AM »
I've now eaten it a few more times, and... I'm thinking about throwing the rest away. The one thing I can't get past is the texture. You can sweeten up and dilute the sourness, but even after all this cooking it still has this fibrous texture in the gel, and I don't think I could realistically strain it out. It's not horribly unpleasant, but I do find it unpleasant.  Others might be indifferent to it.
Já, ég er að rækta suðrænar plöntur á Íslandi. Nei, ég er ekki klikkuð. Jæja, kannski...

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
Re: Phyllanthus acidus
« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2018, 10:04:49 PM »
I've now eaten it a few more times, and... I'm thinking about throwing the rest away. The one thing I can't get past is the texture. You can sweeten up and dilute the sourness, but even after all this cooking it still has this fibrous texture in the gel, and I don't think I could realistically strain it out. It's not horribly unpleasant, but I do find it unpleasant.  Others might be indifferent to it.
I recognize what you mention and even from memory recall it, but not unpleasantly.
Maybe that's why they usually stew the whole fruit with seed intact. Saves a lot of work. The stewed version is usually sold at fairs and so on, in small cups with a spoon. Not really something people eat a lot of or very frequently, just a treat.