Author Topic: Looking for Some Banana Pups...  (Read 2677 times)

Droshi

• Raleigh NC - USDA Zone 7b
    • View Profile
Looking for Some Banana Pups...
« on: July 11, 2013, 10:51:36 PM »
Looking if anyone has extra pups for these varieties or others that are good for container growth:

• Dwarf Namwah
  • Dwarf Red
  • Goldfinger
  • Manzano

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for Some Banana Pups...
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2013, 11:31:45 PM »
I recommend buying from http://www.going-bananas.com/ to get high quality disease free plants.

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2013, 06:51:13 AM »
I recommend buying from http://www.going-bananas.com/ to get high quality disease free plants.

And how do we know thee are disease free?  I am not be facetious with that question.  I was looking to import tissue cultured plants - much easier than regular plants and meant to be sterile - but was blocked by plant protection (Bermuda).  They say even the repositories of these plants contain diseases and they will not risk any banana imports to protect the (2) varieties that we do have in the country.

carcarlo

• USA Florida Tampa
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2013, 10:55:31 AM »
Hi, Have some Mansano,had them for over 25 yrs.2 pups in a 11 x 8 x 5 1/2 flat rate USPS bx $ 24.00 Total

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2013, 12:07:52 PM »

And how do we know thee are disease free?  I am not be facetious with that question.  I was looking to import tissue cultured plants - much easier than regular plants and meant to be sterile - but was blocked by plant protection (Bermuda).  They say even the repositories of these plants contain diseases and they will not risk any banana imports to protect the (2) varieties that we do have in the country.

For your purposes I don't think they would be 100% disease free. It's more of a general inspection and they wouldn't ship something that they know has a disease or pests. They have the knowledge and expertise to diagnose these things better than a random ebay seller or something. It's a good place for a backyard grower in the US to purchase from but for export it's another story.

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2013, 08:21:46 AM »
Looking if anyone has extra pups for these varieties or others that are good for container growth:

• Dwarf Namwah
  • Dwarf Red
  • Goldfinger
  • Manzano

I have normal size red Cuban aka Jamaican. Pups for sale. Red bananas are so good looking and ornamental
« Last Edit: August 18, 2013, 07:51:01 PM by zands »

ReneeFLL

• USA, Ft. Lauderdale, FL 33312, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2013, 12:52:12 PM »
Going Bananas is a great place. If you ever make it to South Florida you should go. I got my Rajapuri there about 17 years ago. Its a small plant about 6-8'. They drive you around in a golf cart and show you the plants and you can pick them out. Back then and probably still are grown in the field and not in pots.
When I went I was looking for the perfect looking plant in the kind that I wanted. I finally found it. He dug it up and then proceded to chop the top off. What???!!!! Why did you do that to my perfect looking plant (leaves)? He explained and then it made sense. I didn't have a clue back then. Now the leaves don't have to be perfect as long as it is a healthy plant. It is still growing in my yard.

islandgirl

• Port Charlotte
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2013, 07:19:15 PM »
I have banana plants but no clue what verity. I can dig a few pups I have maybe 50 would you like to trade?

edzone9

• Zone 10 SW Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2013, 08:44:38 PM »
I 2nd going bananas awesome folks!.
Zone 10

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk