Author Topic: Asunta, Namibia Orange, Frankies Red.  (Read 9855 times)

Rannman

• Dragonfruit collector
    • Australia
    • View Profile
Asunta, Namibia Orange, Frankies Red.
« on: October 30, 2013, 07:42:57 AM »
Hi all. I'm from Australia and I'm trying to get my hands on some hard to find dragonfruit cuttings. I'm hitting every garden/dragonfruit forum I can find in the hope that I find someone to help me out. At the moment I am chasing cuttings from Asunta, Namibia Orange and Frankies Red. Delivery would be to California. Any help or info would be great. Thanks, Anthony.

Luisport

• New in tropical fruit growing!
    • Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
Re: Asunta, Namibia Orange, Frankies Red.
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2013, 07:53:51 AM »
Hi all. I'm from Australia and I'm trying to get my hands on some hard to find dragonfruit cuttings. I'm hitting every garden/dragonfruit forum I can find in the hope that I find someone to help me out. At the moment I am chasing cuttings from Asunta, Namibia Orange and Frankies Red. Delivery would be to California. Any help or info would be great. Thanks, Anthony.
Hi my friend, i never heard about this 3 var...

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2013, 09:34:52 AM »
I have Frankie's Red. You can have a cutting but it's local pick up ony in San Diego, CA.
Simon

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2013, 11:25:01 AM »
I have been on the look out for Asunta as well. If anyone knows where Asunta is in CA, im interested in trade or buy as well.
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

Sven

• USA, Sounthern California, Jamul, 9B 3000 ft.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2013, 11:47:57 AM »
I think Leo may still have Frankie's red.  If so I can see if I can get a cutting from him and send it to you if you can't pick it up from Simon.  I have no idea where you might find the other two.

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2013, 01:43:38 PM »
I had Asunta. Gave it to a botanical garden in San Diego. The guy that developed it said it's not very good. Maybe contact Edgar Valdivia to see if he'll give you a piece. He has a website.

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2013, 02:39:42 PM »
I had Asunta. Gave it to a botanical garden in San Diego. The guy that developed it said it's not very good. Maybe contact Edgar Valdivia to see if he'll give you a piece. He has a website.

Edgar stated that Asunta was especially flavorful...

Edgar Valdivia—"I am very proud of
the varieties I have developed already at
my home in Simi Valley, Calif. Especially
flavorful are my Asunta, Pink Panther and
Tricia. I am looking forward to sampling
many of the up-and-coming seedlings that
will fruit in the years ahead. One I am
growing, a real winner, I call Condor"

http://www.edvaldivia.com/Pitahaya_article_by_Edgar_1.pdf
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

Rannman

• Dragonfruit collector
    • Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2013, 06:49:44 PM »
Hi Sven. If you could check with Leo that would be great as it will be difficult for me to pick up from Simon due to me living in Australia. I would only need the cutting posted to San Clemente California. Will talk to my friend to see if he is down San Diego way at all. Thanks for your help, Anthony.

Sven

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2013, 11:48:39 AM »
Hi Anthony,

I just sent him an e-mail.  I’ll let you know what he says.

Sven

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2013, 02:41:58 PM »
Yeah he was saying Asunta tasted like mango at one time. But a few years later in person he wasn't that excited about it.

Sven

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2013, 07:34:18 AM »
Hi Anthony,

He has Frankie’s Red and maybe a small cutting of Asunta, but he doesn’t have Namibia Orange.  I’ll send you a PM and we can work out the details.

Cheers,
Sven

SocalKoop

• United States, California, Lake Forest 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2014, 07:08:47 PM »
Hi Anthony, Ethan out in Bakersfield had Namibia Orange at one point listed on his scions page at Cloudforest, he might have some cutting...
"Failing to prepare is preparing for failure." -Benjamin Franklin

FamilyJ

• South Florida
    • View Profile
Asunta, Namibia Orange, Frankies Red.
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2017, 07:03:23 PM »
Any new updates on this thread?

Rannman

• Dragonfruit collector
    • Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2017, 04:59:30 AM »

I eventually got my hands on all of these varieties. Asunta is just starting to flower now so I cannot say what it is like but Frankie’s Red is a great piece of fruit. Frankie’s doesn’t really do too well due the cold, frosty winter and the very hot summers, but always puts out a few fruit to keep me happy. Namibian orange was a bit of a disappointment after all the time I put into finding it. It turned out to be a pink fleshed variety☹️, but it tasted great😁! The only orange colour was on the very young flower buds, but that could have been because I wanted it to have something orange.  If it is indeed Nam. Orange, I’m not sure how it got the Nam. Orange name!
« Last Edit: December 01, 2017, 05:01:30 AM by Rannman »

FamilyJ

• South Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2017, 06:39:37 AM »

I eventually got my hands on all of these varieties. Asunta is just starting to flower now so I cannot say what it is like but Frankie’s Red is a great piece of fruit. Frankie’s doesn’t really do too well due the cold, frosty winter and the very hot summers, but always puts out a few fruit to keep me happy. Namibian orange was a bit of a disappointment after all the time I put into finding it. It turned out to be a pink fleshed variety☹️, but it tasted great😁! The only orange colour was on the very young flower buds, but that could have been because I wanted it to have something orange.  If it is indeed Nam. Orange, I’m not sure how it got the Nam. Orange name!
Thanks i just recently got frankies red, read this thread and some other stuff, so next dragonfruit i think i will get is Asunta. Thanks again

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2017, 12:17:46 PM »
There's Asunta 1 through 4. The fruit size improves with each generation. The taste is said to vary though. Non of them are bad, but some people seem to prefer the earlier ones.

FamilyJ

• South Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2017, 12:28:37 PM »
There's Asunta 1 through 4. The fruit size improves with each generation. The taste is said to vary though. Non of them are bad, but some people seem to prefer the earlier ones.
Thanks
Looked online and just thought so but seen it say Asunta 24
https://www.bonanza.com/listings/EXTRA-RARE-Dragon-Fruit-Pitaya-Pithaya-Asunta-24-Hylocereus-Hybrid-SEEDS-/451318474?goog_pla=1&gpid=18283950120&keyword=&goog_pla=1&pos=1o1&ad_type=pla&gclid=Cj0KCQiAmITRBRCSARIsAEOZmr6L5EK_444hX2EHp-Npl7uHntrsAt4go_szYPw91MHf80G09wKyKBIaAn5aEALw_wcB

Rannman

• Dragonfruit collector
    • Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2017, 04:32:34 PM »
Thanks
https://www.bonanza.com/listings/EXTRA-RARE-Dragon-Fruit-Pitaya-Pithaya-Asunta-24-Hylocereus-Hybrid-SEEDS-/451318474?goog_pla=1&gpid=18283950120&keyword=&goog_pla=1&pos=1o1&ad_type=pla&gclid=Cj0KCQiAmITRBRCSARIsAEOZmr6L5EK_444hX2EHp-Npl7uHntrsAt4go_szYPw91MHf80G09wKyKBIaAn5aEALw_wcB

If that fruit is real, and I have my doubts, you should look for a cutting of it.

FamilyJ

• South Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2017, 06:24:46 PM »
Thanks

If that fruit is real, and I have my doubts, you should look for a cutting of it.
I was just trying to check as much information on the Asunta Family and learn what type i think i would like to add, heard the Asunta 2 taste lil bit like cinnamon, which i think i will get, but wanted to get info since the place i found wont have until April/May to get shipped out

Rannman

• Dragonfruit collector
    • Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2017, 04:16:26 AM »
Thanks

I was just trying to check as much information on the Asunta Family and learn what type i think i would like to add, heard the Asunta 2 taste lil bit like cinnamon, which i think i will get, but wanted to get info since the place i found wont have until April/May to get shipped out

I can understand that. Buying Dragonfruit seeds from the internet is always a risky thing to do. You have to wait at least 3-4 years to verify the fruit, if they grow well, and after that time ,  the seller of the original seeds have possibly vanished. It cost me a lot of time and money to get all of the varieties I have but I went through reputable growers and I’m very happy. I’ve never purchased seeds to grow Dragonfruit.

FamilyJ

• South Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2017, 06:20:59 AM »
Thanks

I can understand that. Buying Dragonfruit seeds from the internet is always a risky thing to do. You have to wait at least 3-4 years to verify the fruit, if they grow well, and after that time ,  the seller of the original seeds have possibly vanished. It cost me a lot of time and money to get all of the varieties I have but I went through reputable growers and I’m very happy. I’ve never purchased seeds to grow Dragonfruit.
Thanks. Just making sure if anyone knew if it past asunta 4. Since want to be able to have as much info to pick the best ones I would like. Thanks again

marklee

• Chula Vista, California Zone 24 or 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2017, 02:24:58 PM »
Has anyone fruited Namibia Orange? I've had cuttings for several years, but finally planted it out 2 summers ago. I haven't had any blooms. The guy I got it from said that it originally came from the late father of the guy that owns Papaya Tree Nursery. When I asked Alex about it, he didn't know anything about it. I gave cuttings to I believe Leo, Simon, Sven and Richard Reid, and I haven't heard of any of them getting fruit yet. I'm wondering if it is just an epiphyllum? If anyone has a photo of theirs I can compare what I have to theirs.

Ethan

• Central California Z9/9
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2017, 03:51:36 PM »
My Namibia orange came from a plant sale at the Huntington Gallery and Arboretum. I dont remember which vendor? I'll try to track down a photo of the tag that came with it. If I remember right, it was labeled as being collected outside a French restaurant in Namibia by David Sibler, maybe 1978? Possibly H. Polyrhizus?

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2017, 04:42:43 PM »
Hey Mark, I never planted out the Namibia Orange you gave me, I forget what happened to it. Leo probably still has his, I’ll check with him next time I visit.

Simon

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2017, 01:39:37 AM »
Thanks. Just making sure if anyone knew if it past asunta 4. Since want to be able to have as much info to pick the best ones I would like. Thanks again
4 is the highest it goes as of this year. 5 is under development. The Asunta varieties are created by Edgar Valdivia. Some people are crossing them with other promising varieties and plant on calling them something like 4x, leaving the pure numbers for Edgar to name.