Author Topic: Oranges Color and Taste Comparison  (Read 27005 times)

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
Re: Oranges Color and Taste Comparison
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2012, 04:47:30 PM »
I love blood oranges but definitely more of a berry taste to it than regular orange. Our little tree has many little fruits developing this year.
Here is some Blood Orange Marmalade and some Blood Orange Habanero Chili Marmalade that we made this year. Great for cooking and grilling.

Wow, that looks excellent! I've also made marmalade from kumquat and agree that it's also very tasty.
Oscar

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2012, 07:42:16 PM »
I have Torroco(sorry if I misspelled), Moro and a new variety called "Smith Red Valencia"  The Smith Red Valencia is supposed to be similar to Moro but a bit sweeter with less of that oak barrel wine flavor.  I have never tasted the Smith Red Valencia but my tree will produce its first crop this year.  Can anyone confirm how the Smith Red Valencia tastes?
Simon

FloridaGreenMan

• Fort Lauderdale FL Zone 10B
    • Florida USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2012, 08:19:55 PM »
I bought these Calif grown Moros last year in the market. They were sweet-tart and very nice. These will not grow well of have much color in Florida. Just too hot & humid and not enough chilling hours.   

FloridaGreenMan

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2012, 08:43:29 PM »
My Moros are on the small size this year....very juicy but not very raspberry like taste like last year, a bit sour. They were ready by this time last year. I'll give them a few more weeks.

Luisport

• New in tropical fruit growing!
    • Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2014, 01:02:54 PM »
Great thread! I'm going to buy a blood Orange tree by monday... just hope i like it!  ;D

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 01, 2014, 01:06:58 PM »
I find the red ones to be very acidic....not bad, but can't eat more than 1 just I usually do with citrus.
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 01, 2014, 02:55:18 PM »
I love blood oranges but definitely more of a berry taste to it than regular orange. Our little tree has many little fruits developing this year.
Here is some Blood Orange Marmalade and some Blood Orange Habanero Chili Marmalade that we made this year. Great for cooking and grilling.

Nice job!  I've got some Moro's still hanging, might wanna try this.  It is on Flying Dragon and compared to sour orange it is a pain to grow.  Basically shuts down here in the winter, root system won't uptake nutrients especially micros and the leaves really go chlorotic on me.  Nothing I do works. Spring has sprung, new foliage and it's a beautiful deep green.

California blood orange is not going to be a good representation of good fruit.  In fact I refuse to buy California citrus.   Compared to Texas grown it is dry, without any flavor, just plain dull.  We juice a bag of Valley navel oranges which are pure sugar and juice.  Definately nectar for the gods.  We get almost a gallon of juice from an 18 lb. bag.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2014, 03:00:48 PM by Mark in Texas »

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 01, 2014, 03:14:49 PM »
Nothing on this Earth can Rival Florida Citrus...You can talk Texas up for days.....I aint buying it!
Thinking about joining a Fruitaholics anonymous support group...Fruit addiction has taken over my life!

Luisport

• New in tropical fruit growing!
    • Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 01, 2014, 03:15:14 PM »

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #34 on: April 01, 2014, 06:07:17 PM »
I find the red ones to be very acidic....not bad, but can't eat more than 1 just I usually do with citrus.

Believe me, that's not the way blood oranges are in Italy. I've had really good ones in South America also. They're extremely delicious. I have yet to have a decent blood orange in the US...no comparison. Good ones will have are sweet with a hint of raspberry flavor.
Oscar

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 14, 2014, 01:05:10 PM »
good to know, that figures that the commercial ones I have eaten are not representative of moros as a whole. 
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

Pancrazio

• Off Tropic
  • Florence, Italy, USDA 8
    • Growing fruits in Florence, and Pratovecchio, Italy
    • View Profile
    • FruttAma.it
« Reply #36 on: April 14, 2014, 02:06:59 PM »
A good blood orange is absolutely delicious. The best ones are Taroccos in my humble opinion. Moros does have a strange taste if they sit on your counter for too long, but they are the earlier ones. They are not acid at all, if they are ripened correctly. Also, the raspberry flavour is very true. They do bring the orange eating experience on a whole new level. 
Italian fruit forum

I want to buy/trade central asia apricots. Contact me in PM if interested.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 14, 2014, 03:54:16 PM »
Thanks for the great picture.  Concerning Blood Oranges, my wife does not like the taste, so I grow my tree in the warmest part of the greenhouse, thus the fruit does not turn red in color,  the pulp remains orange.  My wife will then eat them.  A mind thing?. - Millet

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #38 on: April 14, 2014, 05:12:08 PM »
A good blood orange is absolutely delicious. The best ones are Taroccos in my humble opinion. Moros does have a strange taste if they sit on your counter for too long, but they are the earlier ones. They are not acid at all, if they are ripened correctly. Also, the raspberry flavour is very true. They do bring the orange eating experience on a whole new level.

Would be worth moving to Italy just for the blood oranges!  :-* And Italy has so many other fine foods as well.
Oscar

starling1

• Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 14, 2014, 10:49:38 PM »
Nice presentation/pictures Oscar.  I am a big fan of all of the citrus pictured.  Have tried to grow all of the above.  None liked my growing conditions, although for a few years I did get some fairly tastty Cara Caras.  Blood oranges fruited but never got more than a wayward flesk of red coloring inside.  Navels of various types do well for a short time and then start to decline. My yard is destined to be much more of a lychee /mango growing yard than any type of citrus.  Only Pomelo seems to weather the flooding and mucky conditions fairly well. Not sure why.

Harry

I've been tossing up buying a  dwarf cara cara. Do you recommend growing this over other oranges, and how productive did you find it to be?

Pummelos do realy well here also. I think they are more tropical in native habitat than the other citrus.

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 15, 2014, 10:35:39 PM »
Nothing on this Earth can Rival Florida Citrus...You can talk Texas up for days.....I aint buying it!

I always thought CA citrus was better than FL citrus--especially back in olden times when it was grown in Orange, Riverside, and San Bernardino counties! 
John

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 15, 2014, 11:45:55 PM »

I always thought CA citrus was better than FL citrus--especially back in olden times when it was grown in Orange, Riverside, and San Bernardino counties!

I always assumed it depended on the type of citrus. I am pretty sure I heard the cooler nights and higher minerals in the CA soil made citrus like oranges have a more complex taste then the FL oranges. I believe FL grapefruits are much better with sweet taste and juiciness factor compared to the CA grapefruit (from what I can recall from past experiences).
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

sugar land dave

• sugar land, tx Zone 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 16, 2014, 02:13:20 AM »

Well, the best citrus is in my yard, but don't tell anyone.  It's a secret!  ;)

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #43 on: April 16, 2014, 03:09:53 AM »

Well, the best citrus is in my yard, but don't tell anyone.  It's a secret!  ;)

Believe it or not, citrus here is really good. Ditto: especially out of my own yard. We drink so many hundreds of gallons of orange, grapefruit, pommelo juice a year. Great way to start the day. I call it our liquid sunshine.
Oscar

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 16, 2014, 12:05:44 PM »
Yeah, if you have never tasted a blood orange, don't expect it to taste like a typical orange.  The flavor profile is totally different.  Some say its better and some hate it.  When they are good (grown and ripened properly) and fresh they are excellent, otherwise they can have an off putting taste with almost a sourness to them that could easily make them unappealing.

I've started seeing them in grocery stores now.  The first few store-bought Moros were awful, with a sort of rotten taste.  I tried them again the next year, though, and ended up buying bags of Sunkist-branded ones because they were so good.  After a few weeks of buying the same fruit from the same store they started tasting bad, I think they only had a single shipment and they were past their shelf life.

I found a couple Sanguinellis at the grocery store also but they didn't look or taste much differently from regular oranges, with only a slight red color. 

I have a 4ft tall Moro tree with small fruit on it now so hopefully this winter I will get to eat some straight from the tree.  In my zone we definitely get enough cool weather for the dark color.

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 17, 2014, 10:04:37 PM »

Maybe have just been brainwashed growing up in Florida most of my life to think they're the King of Oranges...with that being said...looks like I can look forward to some good Citrus out here...Planning on digging up my unnamed orange tree and outing in a few different other varieties...I believe some members said the Cara Cara and Washington Navel was the best Orange and the Pixie and Golden Nugget were the best Mandarin....Hopefully I can add these to the yard soon, just need to save up some cash after my Mango tree and Cherimoya tree Binge..
Thinking about joining a Fruitaholics anonymous support group...Fruit addiction has taken over my life!

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 17, 2014, 10:10:56 PM »

Maybe have just been brainwashed growing up in Florida most of my life to think they're the King of Oranges...with that being said...looks like I can look forward to some good Citrus out here...Planning on digging up my unnamed orange tree and outing in a few different other varieties...I believe some members said the Cara Cara and Washington Navel was the best Orange and the Pixie and Golden Nugget were the best Mandarin....Hopefully I can add these to the yard soon, just need to save up some cash after my Mango tree and Cherimoya tree Binge..

Just my personal preference but I like tangerines and mandarins better than oranges and have some growing. But no oranges. Some citrus hybrids can be tricky about pollination. They will need another citrus variety to aid in pollination.
For example--- Honeybell (a hybrid) is inter planted with Valencia with Valencia needed for pollination
_________
_________
Mandarins and Tangerines:
a Directory of Varieties

copyright 1997-2004 by Richard K. Harrison
http://web.archive.org/web/20120206135553/http://www.rickharrison.com/texts/info/mandarins.html
« Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 10:20:22 PM by zands »

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #47 on: April 17, 2014, 11:33:32 PM »
Only have experience with citrus in California and here. But i've heard that most of the oranges in Florida were used for juicing? If they were best eating quality why would they be juiced?
Oscar

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 18, 2014, 12:09:35 AM »
Only have experience with citrus in California and here. But i've heard that most of the oranges in Florida were used for juicing? If they were best eating quality why would they be juiced?

This is true...Florida Orange Juice is amazing...

Tom

• USA, Alabama,Montgomery, zone 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 20, 2014, 07:11:43 PM »
I've had great citrus from California and Florida but I had some Ruby grapefruit from Texas that were the best grapefruit I've ever tasted. So sweet it was unreal. Tom