Author Topic: Wild not waterlogged pond apple  (Read 1807 times)

gnappi

• South East Florida (U.S.A) Zone 10A
    • View Profile
Wild not waterlogged pond apple
« on: June 09, 2017, 04:24:28 PM »
While fishing today I found a pond apple (A.Glabra) where I had never seen one before. It was beside a lake but high and dry, the first I've seen that I could actually examine closely without wading. All others I knew of were in very wet areas unreachable by a dry foot.

It was but 5 feet tall but had dozens of large fruit, one was ripening and the flesh was orange while the skin was smooth without the darker green markings like others on the same tree had. 

I took two fruit hoping they will ripen and I'm going to be visiting it to check on the fruit at the tree location and its flavor. I've read of the general disdain for this anonna and that some were conducting long term experiments to select for a desirable taste, does anyone have any updates on this activity?

Regards,

Gary

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • Pembroke Pines, FL, 33024, 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Wild not waterlogged pond apple
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2017, 05:24:49 PM »
It would be awesome discovering a great tasting pond apple. I've read of pond apple being used as root stock for other annona species for people living in flood-prone areas.
Alexi

9B in Brazil

• Brazil, Santa Catarina, Brusque, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2017, 05:28:25 PM »
In Brazil, Pond Apple, is the rootstock of choice for annona here. 
I am an American from California with a small farm in Southern Brazil. 
Sou americano na Califórnia e tenho um sítio em Brusque, SC, Brasil.

Marc Doyle

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2017, 11:54:41 AM »
It would be awesome discovering a great tasting pond apple. I've read of pond apple being used as root stock for other annona species for people living in flood-prone areas.

What can be grafted on a pond apple?
I have a couple and couple like to try a graft on one mature tree or on a seedling of one.

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2017, 09:15:03 PM »
Would like to continue this link instead of creating a new one.

So I got some scions from Franks summer sale and tried grafting on the pond apple.
I thought it would be good practice but held out no hopes for any takes.
Well to my surprise, at least 1 (Calostro I believe), maybe more appear to be pushing.
I don't know if I should get optimistic yet since I read somewhere that an initial push does not guarantee success.  I am really thrilled that it appears to have taken.
I will be looking forward to when my cherimoya rootstock are mature enough to graft, perhaps this time next year.

Will do pictures later.

« Last Edit: August 23, 2017, 07:25:28 AM by Orkine »

TheDom

• Fort Myers, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2017, 07:35:09 AM »
The biggest issue with pond apple as a rootstock is delayed incompatibility. Depending on the seed source some will just reject everything outright, others will take and grow well then die a year or so down the road, and the truly good ones will work spectacularly.

I hope yours take and grow well for many years to come.

With the above caveat in mind, I know pond apple works as a rootstock for ilama and atemoya and I'm pretty sure reticulata as well.
Dom

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2017, 11:25:18 PM »
Thanks, that is what I thought I had read.  To improve my chances, I will remove all other growth so if the tree wants to star alive it needs to feed and nurture the graft.  It is trying to push new growth just below the graft point.
I will have to pay attention to ensure as much energy as can support the graft is sent its way.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk