Author Topic: any Socal Nurseries selling 2 in 1 Cara cara and Washington Navel?  (Read 3950 times)

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
These 2 trees seem to be big growers..15-20 ft height and width...can only support one spot of theses with fair pruning ..if not I guess I can always graft one on to the other?
Thinking about joining a Fruitaholics anonymous support group...Fruit addiction has taken over my life!

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
Re: any Socal Nurseries selling 2 in 1 Cara cara and Washington Navel?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2014, 10:02:17 AM »
Clay Mango, note that a citrus tree only flowers and produces fruit on its newest growth.  When you prune a citrus tree, you are cutting off the new growth. Therefore, a citrus tree cannot bloom and fruit. The only method to prune, and still get fruit, is called hedging.  In Hedging, only one side of the tree is pruned, leaving the other side to fruit.  The following year the other side of the tree is pruned. - Millet
« Last Edit: April 28, 2014, 04:13:20 PM by Millet »

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2014, 10:11:18 AM »
Wow! I had no idea! Thanks for sharing....however wouldn't cutting back a foot or so promote new growth everytime giving endless fruit at the desired height?
Thinking about joining a Fruitaholics anonymous support group...Fruit addiction has taken over my life!

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2014, 02:35:57 AM »
If you can't find a 2-grafted tree you could just get 2 trees and plant them a couple feet from one another. They will eventually fuse at the roots and maybe some branches. You still have to prune like you said to keep them in balance.

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2014, 10:00:41 AM »
Well I tried the Cara Cara from Sprouts yesterday....I wasn't really impressed with it. I also tried the Honey, Golden Nugget, and Clementine which were amazing!!!! I definitely want these trees!!!! I found a 6-1 at Home Depot for 150 dollars....It was a 15g with Valencia Orange, Washington Navel, Minnelo Tangelo, Bears Lime, Meyers lemon, and a Honey Tangerine...I may just grab it next month when I get some cash.

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2014, 01:08:47 PM »
I wouldn't trust the taste of sprouts fruits that much. The one near me tends to have underripe fruits that tastes terrible. I stopped buying apples from there. Probably the same case with any supermarket and farmers market. The farmers market here sells pretty tart gold nugget mandarins.

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2014, 01:24:42 PM »
I wouldn't trust the taste of sprouts fruits that much. The one near me tends to have underripe fruits that tastes terrible. I stopped buying apples from there. Probably the same case with any supermarket and farmers market. The farmers market here sells pretty tart gold nugget mandarins.

The Cara Cara was from the Sunkist Farm or whatever that mainstream citrus famr is called...Not sure if they produce great quality citrus...but the name is pretty big....   Not sure...but I think I truly like the flavor of Mandarins way better than oranges...Just put a Kishu, Tango, and Gold Nugget in the ground...looking for the Honey and I think I'll be done..I do like the cuties with a lite twang to it...Guess my Tango trees wont have in tart tang? may have to get a clementine?

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2014, 04:23:01 PM »
Taste is very selective.  What taste fantastic to one person, another person thinks otherwise.  To me Cara Cara, though not my favorite (Xie Shan is), it is still in my mind a great fruit.  On personal taste appeal, every opinion is correct. - Millet

BarbJ

• Cupertino, CA, 9-15
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2014, 07:11:45 PM »
 Just fyi;  Sunkist is a co-op group of citrus growers who share advertising and marketing costs in California and Arizona. It's not one farm, it's thousands, so you'll get various levels of fruit depending on where it was grown.

http://www.sunkist.com/

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2014, 09:51:57 PM »
So looks like I might need to re-evaluate my take on the Cara Cara...I still have a feeling its no match for Gold Nugget, Tango, Honey, and Kishu

sugar land dave

• sugar land, tx Zone 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2014, 05:39:25 PM »
Cara Cara gets it's red color from lycopene, an antioxidant also found in tomatoes.  Lycopene may have some anticancer benefits, but the U.S.D.A. has not evaluated that. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lycopene