Author Topic: Myrica rubra  (Read 73284 times)

cmichael258

• St. Pete, Florida
    • View Profile
Re: Myrica rubra
« Reply #150 on: June 11, 2018, 04:28:10 PM »
Has anyone seen this site ?

http://www.fruit-trees-nursery.com/myrica_rubra.htm

they say they ship to the USA.
i am sending them an email to get pricing.
it may be cheaper to get a group order going ?
i really want 1 or 2 (they have different varieties)
"black-peak" looks interesting...

Please keep us posted when they reply.

unless its very expensive i will probably order.
Michael

EvilFruit

• Dubai, UAE
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: June 11, 2018, 05:17:01 PM »
 8)  Dong Kui, so refreshing

« Last Edit: June 11, 2018, 05:18:39 PM by EvilFruit »
Moh'd

EvilFruit

• Dubai, UAE
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: June 11, 2018, 05:22:51 PM »
From inside

Moh'd

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: June 11, 2018, 05:38:30 PM »
The fresh fruit is also sold in Los Angeles this year.

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: June 11, 2018, 07:22:22 PM »
Fang, please let me know if you find out where in LA they are selling the fruit. It may be worth the road trip.

Simon

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: June 11, 2018, 08:22:30 PM »
It's pretty pricey since this is the only place that has it. They used to have a business shipping things to China. Now they sell fruits from China. They don't know fruits very well. I kind of understand them selling yangmei for $35/lb since they're the only seller, but passion fruit from China for more than a few dollars/lb is ridiculous. I'll ask my wife for their location if you're still interested.

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #156 on: June 12, 2018, 12:25:34 AM »
My friend ate a bunch of fresh Myrica Rubra when he was in China and he saw this thread and said the fruit didn’t look too fresh so I’ll pass. He mentioned that the Fruit get soft very fast at room temp. If this place also sells No Mai Tsze Lychees, I’ll definitely be interested!

Simon

EvilFruit

• Dubai, UAE
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: June 12, 2018, 09:43:52 AM »
It's pretty pricey since this is the only place that has it. They used to have a business shipping things to China. Now they sell fruits from China. They don't know fruits very well. I kind of understand them selling yangmei for $35/lb since they're the only seller, but passion fruit from China for more than a few dollars/lb is ridiculous. I'll ask my wife for their location if you're still interested.

:-X

wow, it is very expensive in the USA.

The taste is quite unique for Myrica rubra . It has a very strong Kiwi flavor with a hint of water melon.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2018, 09:57:34 AM by EvilFruit »
Moh'd

EvilFruit

• Dubai, UAE
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: June 12, 2018, 09:50:43 AM »
I have around 50 seeds of Dong Kui. The first 25 seeds will be treated with GA3 and placed inside a ziplock bag. The second batch will get cold scarification and then treated with GA3.

I hope these seeds are still viable and not completely irradiated/dead.
Moh'd

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: June 12, 2018, 11:19:26 AM »
My friend ate a bunch of fresh Myrica Rubra when he was in China and he saw this thread and said the fruit didn’t look too fresh so I’ll pass. He mentioned that the Fruit get soft very fast at room temp. If this place also sells No Mai Tsze Lychees, I’ll definitely be interested!

Simon

Yeah, people in China don't want it once it gets a little puffy on the skin. They pack them in plastic cells in styrofoam and ship them express over there. They last about a week. On the other hand, they buy crappy avocados from us at high prices.

The only interesting thing this place sells is yangmei. The owner is from around Shanghai so she probably doesn't know lychee very well. The Fei zi siu I got last week from a supermarket was pretty bad. They were decent in previous years.

beicadad

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: June 13, 2018, 12:11:09 AM »
I am Simon’s friend. I grew up in a region where Dongkui Yangmei is abundant. I don’t think it will last a week. At room temperature you can tell difference after only 1/2 day. If you keep them refrigerated they will last a few days but not a week. Even then after a couple of days they are just not as good.

People can really be turned off by bad cultivars, or fruits that are not absolutely fresh. But if you have fresh, right off the tree and a good variety, dang! Some pics of dongkui and trees below. Interesting that now they are putting up tents on trees

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: June 13, 2018, 12:41:39 AM »
Thanks for posting the information. Are the tents for worms, maybe fruit flies?

I've seen videos of u-pick places in China. Fruit picking tours are more popular these days I think. Correct me if I'm outdated. I've been here for 20+ years and really am not that well connected to what happens there anymore.

beicadad

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: June 13, 2018, 01:06:21 AM »
Thanks for posting the information. Are the tents for worms, maybe fruit flies?

I've seen videos of u-pick places in China. Fruit picking tours are more popular these days I think. Correct me if I'm outdated. I've been here for 20+ years and really am not that well connected to what happens there anymore.

I think the tents (just my guesses)
- more heat so fruits ripen up earlier and this enjoy better price
- rain control. Yangmei ripens during the rain season so constant rain will affect taste and fruit quality
- insect control

Yeah u-picks are definitely more popular but I haven’t seen any Yangmei u-picks, though it’s possible

Tropheus76

• East Orlando 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: June 13, 2018, 10:31:19 AM »
With the demand we have here, it boggles the mind that none of the people with the few successful germinations have tried air layering and selling seedlings. I would love to have a few to grow in Central Fl.

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: June 13, 2018, 10:52:20 AM »
With the demand we have here, it boggles the mind that none of the people with the few successful germinations have tried air layering and selling seedlings. I would love to have a few to grow in Central Fl.
I thought I posted my airlayering results years ago. In short, 3 consecutive years of putting several airlayers at different times failed.

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #165 on: June 13, 2018, 06:47:44 PM »
Here’s some info that most of you already know:
http://www.cloudforest.com/cafe/gardening/that-myrica-rubra-stuff-from-few-years-back-t5788-40.html

At least someone was successful growing and fruiting it.

Simon

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: June 13, 2018, 07:20:30 PM »
This year I let one rootstock root into the ground through the pot while upping the other 2 to 5gal before grafting. Interestingly, the one in the ground did not take any grafts. It did make a really strong sucker that pushed the main trunk almost flat to the soil line. The grafts were already failing before the sucker took over. I guess I should graft onto the sucker and see how that does. The other rootstocks took 1 or 2 out of about 5 grafts. I hope the heat doesn't kill the grafts. Some grafts that pushed out earlier wilted. Yangmei grafts will push early and then die. The ones that are slower tend to have better chances of healing.

marklee

• Chula Vista, California Zone 24 or 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: June 13, 2018, 07:32:41 PM »
This year I let one rootstock root into the ground through the pot while upping the other 2 to 5gal before grafting. Interestingly, the one in the ground did not take any grafts. It did make a really strong sucker that pushed the main trunk almost flat to the soil line. The grafts were already failing before the sucker took over. I guess I should graft onto the sucker and see how that does. The other rootstocks took 1 or 2 out of about 5 grafts. I hope the heat doesn't kill the grafts. Some grafts that pushed out earlier wilted. Yangmei grafts will push early and then die. The ones that are slower tend to have better chances of healing.

Fang,

Of the 3 pieces that I got from you via Toan, I grafted onto Californica they did good for a bit, but eventually all failed. I think next time try the M. cerifera as rootstock.

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: June 14, 2018, 12:17:33 PM »
Mine all died too on M. cerifera. I think it just heals very slowly. The ones that take longer to push have better chances at survival. Maybe the grafts should be covered in foil to prevent them from pushing too soon.

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #169 on: June 14, 2018, 12:32:46 PM »
Are you guys all performing Cleft or veneer grafts or have you innarched them before? I read somewhere that someone was successful innarching them.

Simon

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: June 14, 2018, 04:21:35 PM »
You mean inarch with yangmei or native rootstock? I once approach grafted a native rootstock and the rootstock gave up its roots, thinking it can just take nutrients from the mother tree. It grew pretty well until I cut below the yangmei side of the graft.

I did cleft, whip and tongue, approach, side. I guess side graft is more successful for me. It's still not a good percentage though.

I keep saying it's hard to propagate, but that could be just me, or my rootstocks, or my one mother plant.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2018, 04:33:02 PM by fyliu »

greenman62

• CharlesitaveNB
    • [url=https://vgruk.com/]vgr uk[/url]
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: June 24, 2018, 02:44:44 PM »
Here’s a good read, it’s probably posted somewhere already but buried.

Looks like we should be able to germinate the seeds pretty easily if we had access to a lab with the PGRs. I don’t so I’ll probably end up growing some outdoors for a year and then heat and cold stratify the other half. Looks like I should remove the seed cover.

Simon

link didnt work
but pretty sure this is it
-this link should be OK

Roles of gibberellins and abscisic acid in dormancy and germination of
red bayberry (Myrica rubra) seeds
https://academic.oup.com/treephys/article-pdf/28/9/1431/4593176/28-9-1431.pdf

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #173 on: June 24, 2018, 04:36:02 PM »
That’s it greenman62, thanks!

Simon

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: June 25, 2018, 01:11:09 PM »
It's really hard to crack the shell without breaking the seed inside. The shell is like 2mm thick and the seed is right up against it with no wiggle room.

I tried GA3 and the seeds started growing a taproot and then melted away. I might just plant some without any treatment and wait.