Author Topic: Brazillian Mangoes  (Read 12723 times)

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
Brazillian Mangoes
« on: April 14, 2012, 11:09:07 AM »
Hi to all :),

Brazilian Mango Cultivars.

BOURBON

BOURBON is a traditional, very old cultivar. The seeds are polyembryonic and is multiplied by seed throughout Brazil. Yellowish green color, excellent flavor, very susceptible to all diseases, malformation, powdery mildew, anthracnose and Mango branch blight disease. there is variation in the population and some clones produce out of season.

ESPADA STAHL

THE ESPADA STAHL is a selection within the variety ESPADA by Mr. Lucio Stahl in Engenheiro Coelho, SP. earlier than the Tommy Atkins, medium fruit (400 gs), highly productive, with little anthracnose and fruit fly susceptibility. High benefit / cost ratio.

ROSA

ROSA MANGO, also called ROSA OF BAHIA or ROSA OF PERNAMBUCO! Is a traditional Brazilian variety, very early cultivar and is harvested before Tommy Atkins, Very good flavor and aroma. It is totally resistant to Fusarium (malformation).

COQUINHO

The variety COQUINHO is a polyembryonic and one of the oldest cultivar in Brazil. It is very productive, used for juice and has an acceptance in the market as table mango! Coquinho is one of the best and most used rootstocks in Brazil, although it is very susceptible to the fungus Ceratocystis fimbriata which causes Mango branch blight disease.

COITÊ

The variety COITÊ is a traditional Brazilian cultivar, the seeds are polyembryonic . This cultivar is largely grown in the state of Ceará. the COITÊ mango has the ability to naturally produce all year round. Large mango with 600 gs. within the population there is a high variability and some variations produce small fruits.

UBÁ

The UBÁ mango was named after the Brazilian town of UBA in the state of Minas Gerais.  The seeds are polyembryonic, semi-late variety with exceptional flavor, very productive but not regular. It is the main variety for juice production in Brazil.

OURINHO

The OURINHO is Brazilian cultivar with polyembryonic seeds, rustic, small fruits (70 to 100gs), good flavor, late maturity, good shelf life. Has a good market niche in the city of São Paulo. it is usually harvested on the ground under the tree. It is very susceptible to malformation (Fusarium).

SURPRESA

SURPRISE is a selection of EMBRAPA Cruz das Almas, BA, although it is probably an American cultivar (DUNCAN). Yellow, monoembryonic seed, medium size (400 gs), good flavor, no fiber, good shelf life, productive, resistant to anthracnose, powdery mildew tolerant, harvest cycle is between Tommy Atkins and Palmer. Its main limitation is the high susceptibility to malformation (Fusarium).

ALFA

ALFA is a Brazilian variety obtained by EMBRAPA Cerrados resulting from crossing Mallika x Van Dyke. It is more resistant to anthracnose, rustic, productive, with good fruit size(435 g), visual appeal, good flavor, good shelf life and the same cycle of harvest as the Tommy Atkins.

ROXA

ROXA cultivar was obtained by Embrapa Cerrados, a cross between the cultivars Amrapali and Tommy Atkins. monoembryonic, productive, medium size (300 gs) fruits with sweet pulp, Brix 20% and low acidity 0.12%. It's so sweet that it becomes a favorite target of the birds and wasps.

NATALINA

NATALINA cultivar is a new hybrid,  monoembryonic launched by UNESP Jaboticabal, selected in 1999. It is tolerant to powdery mildew, has good yield, flavor and appearance of the fruit. Normal cycle (Tommy Atkins). It has large variation in fruit size of 165 gs (left) to 360 gs (right).

CORAÇÃO-DE-BOI STEIN

CORAÇÃO-DE-BOI STEIN is a Brazilian variety selected by the nurseryman Joseph Paul Stein, parents unknown, in the municipality of Limeira, SP. It is semi late polyembryonic , productive, fruit large (600 gs). 14.6 Brix, acidity and ratio 0.17 brix / acidity 85.9. Very rich in vitamin C.

BOURBON VERMELHA

BOURBON VERMELHA is a Brazilian variety selected by Mr. Joseph Paul Stein, of Limeira, SP. This cultiva is resistant to anthracnose, great flavor, can be eaten with the peel, semi-late. fruit thinning is needed and the fruits are fragile.

« Last Edit: April 14, 2012, 02:48:31 PM by Jackfruitwhisperer69 »
Time is like a river.
You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again.
Enjoy every moment of your life!

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • Pembroke Pines, FL, 33024, 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Brazillian Mangoes
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2012, 11:12:47 AM »
Nice!
Alexi

Berto

• Southwest Florida
  • Ready to learn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2012, 03:45:56 PM »
Steven,
Nice photos! Obrigado!

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2012, 03:54:05 PM »
Nice!

Hi Alexi,
 ;) ;) ;)

Steven,
Nice photos! Obrigado!

Hi Berto :),
Glad you liked them!

BTW have you tasted any of these varieties?
Time is like a river.
You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again.

anaxel

• france zone 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2012, 05:54:14 PM »
very nice picture good research  steven (maravilha)
« Last Edit: April 14, 2012, 06:31:54 PM by anaxel »

cuban007

• AZUCAR!!!
  • Cuida la naturaleza y la naturaleza te cuidara'
    • SoCal, The IE, Zone 9b/SoFla, The Redlands, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2012, 06:10:37 PM »
Catalina and Roxa....beautiful mangoes.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2012, 09:30:30 PM »
Here is a very unusual looking mango from Brazil. Due to new censorship rules i cannot post the name of the variety. But will give you a hint, it is part of female anatomy:

If you are desperate to know the name and not easily offended by crass vulgarities you can right click the image, copy the URL address, and last part of that address will inform you.
Oscar

Berto

• Southwest Florida
  • Ready to learn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2012, 09:46:54 PM »
Steven,
I grew up eating manga espada, rosa, maria, cordao, de qualidade, and some others I do not remember the names right now.  The varieties shown in your posting are realtively new varieties developed by Embrapa, and some of them are from the southern part of the country.  I grew up closer to the equator in the northeast, 11 degrees from the equator.... 12 hours of sun and 12 hours of darkness all year around, pretty much!

SWRancher

• Merritt Island, FL Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2012, 09:49:02 PM »
Some very nice looking mangos.

Oscar - Yes, the name certainly fits...  ;D

Felipe

• Global Moderator
    • Canary Islands, Spain - 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2012, 05:21:32 AM »
Oscar, what about the quality of this mango?

I wonder how is the fruit quality of those brazilian cvs compared to floridian cvs!

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2012, 05:31:36 AM »
Oscar, what about the quality of this mango?

I wonder how is the fruit quality of those brazilian cvs compared to floridian cvs!

It was good, but nothing to rave about. Neatest thing was the unusual shape. From a distance i thought they were small papayas.
Oscar

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2012, 06:07:04 AM »
Here is a very unusual looking mango from Brazil. Due to new censorship rules i cannot post the name of the variety. But will give you a hint, it is part of female anatomy:
If you are desperate to know the name and not easily offended by crass vulgarities you can right click the image, copy the URL address, and last part of that address will inform you.

Oscar-I have never seen mangoes like that!!! ahahahhaha ;D

Steven,
I grew up eating manga espada, rosa, maria, cordao, de qualidade, and some others I do not remember the names right now.  The varieties shown in your posting are realtively new varieties developed by Embrapa, and some of them are from the southern part of the country.  I grew up closer to the equator in the northeast, 11 degrees from the equator.... 12 hours of sun and 12 hours of darkness all year around, pretty much!

Berto-Brazil sure has excellent mango varieties! 8)
WOW, with a climate of 30ºc pretty much year round and 12 hours of sun light... :o Any ultra-tropical fruit tree will flourish in that climate!
Time is like a river.

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2012, 08:58:21 AM »
They've got an awful lot of coffee mangoes in Brazil

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • Pembroke Pines, FL, 33024, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2012, 06:19:00 PM »

Nice  mangoes.  ;D

Alexi

puglvr1

• USA, Central, FL xxxxx, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2012, 07:22:26 PM »
Wow...I can't believe how many different varieties are out there. SO sad the amount I will never be able to try  :(. Thanks for sharing the pictures!! So many mangoes...isn't it great!!

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2012, 07:26:42 PM »
Great pictures and info thanks!
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2012, 06:55:44 AM »
Wow...I can't believe how many different varieties are out there. SO sad the amount I will never be able to try  :(. Thanks for sharing the pictures!! So many mangoes...isn't it great!!

I believe India has the most mango varieties with over 1000. It's hard to say how many varieties there are world wide? I wonder if anyone has attempted to inventory them all?
Oscar

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2012, 02:01:47 PM »
I will try to add more cultivars!!!! Most of the pics are copyrighted!  :(
Time is like a river.

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2012, 11:57:56 AM »
Thanks for the beautiful pictures and information.

I was glad to see mention of one variety's having an edible skin.  So I'm not uniquely crazy after all!?

I wonder if the 'Coquinho' is a variety of the 'Turpentine' group?  I have actually received a request for me to plant a 'Coquinho' in somebody's yard.
Har

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2012, 06:05:08 AM »
Thanks for the beautiful pictures and information.

I was glad to see mention of one variety's having an edible skin.  So I'm not uniquely crazy after all!?

I wonder if the 'Coquinho' is a variety of the 'Turpentine' group?  I have actually received a request for me to plant a 'Coquinho' in somebody's yard.

Hi Guanabanus,

Your are not crazy ;D ;D ;D I have a Brazilian Mango peel jam which I will upload in due time ;)
Time is like a river.

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2014, 11:44:47 PM »
Has anyone tried the Roxa or Alfa mangoes?  are they quality fruit? taste, fiber ?

I like that Emprapa is breeding mangoes for fruit fly resistance, among other things.
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

JoeP450

• Mahaha Chinook
    • Palm City FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2014, 11:58:01 PM »
That Alfa mango sounds really interesting malika x van dyke, really nice color too.

-joep450

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2014, 03:16:32 AM »
That Alfa mango sounds really interesting malika x van dyke, really nice color too.

-joep450

Alfa in particular is the one I am really interested in, its has a pretty good size fruit compared to the others. 

here is what I have gathered so far.

fruit flies do not seem to be that interested in it.
Tree is Semi-Dwarf and a slow grower ( A good trait for those in high density plantations )
High yielding
Resistance to powdery mildew and Anthracnose.
Regular bearer.
Low incidence of fruit malformation.

Taste?  Fiber ?   

Roxa is listed as being very sweet, and fiberless.

William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2014, 12:04:07 PM »
Censorship rules?  Who is censoring the forum?

Do you just mean that you aren't doing it so as to offend others, or did something change with the forum?
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration