Author Topic: Help Grafting Atemoya & Cherimoya  (Read 16415 times)

socal10b

• El Monte, CA
    • View Profile
Re: First graft attempt. Lisa on cherimoya rootstock.
« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2014, 08:27:39 PM »
good job andrew, u succeed. I'm trying to get my first successful attempt on cherimoya. Lack of scionwoods :(

turgut

• türkiye /muğla /dalaman
    • View Profile
    • http://tropikalmeyvelerim.com
Re: Help Grafting Atemoya & Cherimoya
« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2015, 02:44:30 AM »
2015 cherimoya /atemoya graft

kh0110

• USA, Cerritos, CA 90703, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2015, 11:00:04 PM »
Looking good, Turgut. I hope they take.
Thera

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2015, 11:08:43 PM »
So far so good turgut
You'll love Booth and Pierce good luck!

turgut

• türkiye /muğla /dalaman
    • View Profile
    • http://tropikalmeyvelerim.com
« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2015, 04:02:21 AM »
Thank you friends

kh0110

• USA, Cerritos, CA 90703, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 29, 2015, 02:43:33 AM »
Hey Turgut, by now, which grafts are really successful? Photos?

Cheers.
Thera

jmc96

• Wallarah, NSW, Australia, Zone 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 29, 2015, 05:58:37 AM »
Don't stop with dormant wood, try green grafting all through summer. It's approaching late Autumn here and still having success with green grafting Cherimoya onto cherimoya, A. reticulata onto Cherimoya.
To prepare scions, I remove around 8 inches of leaves from tip down and remove the soft bendy tip. I then wait a couple of weeks till the petioles fall and some swelling in the buds start to happen. The scions have no trouble taking even if a couple of buds have shot. The bark is still slipping on the rootstock to do a bark graft, wrap and wait.

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 29, 2015, 09:51:56 PM »
Don't stop with dormant wood, try green grafting all through summer. It's approaching late Autumn here and still having success with green grafting Cherimoya onto cherimoya, A. reticulata onto Cherimoya.
To prepare scions, I remove around 8 inches of leaves from tip down and remove the soft bendy tip. I then wait a couple of weeks till the petioles fall and some swelling in the buds start to happen. The scions have no trouble taking even if a couple of buds have shot. The bark is still slipping on the rootstock to do a bark graft, wrap and wait.

Nothing like 95% on dormant wood in March and April(beginning of spring)......sugar apple,Ilama, atemoya, custard apple all onto cherimoya. I'll skip the 30% green on green in the fall

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 29, 2015, 09:59:20 PM »
Go Frank Go! You've been busy! ;) 8)

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 29, 2015, 10:45:30 PM »

I started in March. I have about 40 takes need to do a few this week and it's over until next year.

NewGen

• Zone 10a, Central Valley, CA, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 30, 2015, 03:19:47 PM »

I started in March. I have about 40 takes need to do a few this week and it's over until next year.

And I'll be ready to get some from you Frank!
 :D

Trung,

Kona fruit farm

• Aloha
    • Big Island; Hawaii. Kona 1700' Elev. Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 29, 2016, 12:45:15 AM »
Hi guys... revisiting this old thread.   I always see tons and tons of pictures of grafts on tiny plants and tiny rootstocks.  I want to graft dream atemoya scions onto an existing 3 year old cherimoya tree.   My cherimoya tree is about 10' tall and the base of the tree is maybe 3" across. 

Im getting scions from Adam and i need to top work my cherimoya tree and graft these scions in.  Does anyone have picture examples of this grafting situation being done? Adam says the scions he is sending are about the diameter of a sharpie marker, and the diameter of the 4 main branches of the cherimoya tree are probably the diameter of a half dollar coin.    So i'm hoping i can get this right

Thanks guys!

With 3 acres of prime real estate for growing tropicals... why not create my own garden of eden?? Work in progress

TheDom

• Fort Myers, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 29, 2016, 08:54:03 AM »
The side veneer graft described earlier in the thread should work fine for that tree, just make the cuts so that the cambium on both sides lines up.
Dom

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 29, 2016, 01:53:29 PM »
Topping the branch and bark grafting would be a good way. I did some geffner onto another atemoya last weekend. Will post a photo if I remember to take it this Sunday. Feel free to PM me reminders.

Veneer works if you have good experience with it. It's always been tricky for me and people that are not as experienced.

Samu

• North Tustin, So. California, Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 29, 2016, 05:07:50 PM »
Just checked at Adam's website: the Dream atemoya is not available. I guess you are in luck "Kona", so good luck to you with grafting them! (I think there are a lot of grafting videos in Youtube you can also check them out).

Adam, may I reserve a couple? About pencil size scions would be better for me... Thanks!
Sam

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
    • LED Bulbs for Landscape Lighting
« Reply #40 on: January 29, 2016, 05:32:51 PM »
Hi guys... revisiting this old thread.   I always see tons and tons of pictures of grafts on tiny plants and tiny rootstocks.  I want to graft dream atemoya scions onto an existing 3 year old cherimoya tree.   My cherimoya tree is about 10' tall and the base of the tree is maybe 3" across. 

Im getting scions from Adam and i need to top work my cherimoya tree and graft these scions in.  Does anyone have picture examples of this grafting situation being done? Adam says the scions he is sending are about the diameter of a sharpie marker, and the diameter of the 4 main branches of the cherimoya tree are probably the diameter of a half dollar coin.    So i'm hoping i can get this right

Thanks guys!

on 3" trunk, if you are thinking about top working it, I would cut the tree down to 24" or each branch to no more than 6 inches from main trunk, and do bark graft from top where you insert the wedge into the bark that you peel away from cambium. You can do 3 grafts on the same cut facing different directions. 
« Last Edit: January 29, 2016, 05:34:25 PM by behlgarden »