Author Topic: Jaboticabaholics Anonymous  (Read 387262 times)

hawkfish007

• Highland, CA, 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Jaboticabaholics Anonymous
« Reply #1350 on: May 15, 2019, 09:57:33 PM »
I bought a jabo with some bark damage at the trunk. Is there something I should do to prevent it from rotting in the future? Or is it fine to leave it like this? It has been growing nicely otherwise.

Maybe clear away the dirt around the wound.
How deep is the cut?

Wound seems deep, I dug down 3” and it was missing part of the bark all the way down. I didn’t dig further fearing roots may be disturbed. I was unaware of the missing bark until I bought it home since it was wrapped in trash bags for the journey.

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #1351 on: May 16, 2019, 04:59:56 PM »
should grow right out of it, they swallow wounds like the blob...

i got some with really bad wounds and they seem to heal with no help...

but i'm sure unlucky trees can decline in rare cases...i'd probably just leave it alone, and try not to get that part saturated too much...
I bought a jabo with some bark damage at the trunk. Is there something I should do to prevent it from rotting in the future? Or is it fine to leave it like this? It has been growing nicely otherwise.

How deep is the cut?

Wound seems deep, I dug down 3” and it was missing part of the bark all the way down. I didn’t dig further fearing roots may be disturbed. I was unaware of the missing bark until I bought it home since it was wrapped in trash bags for the journey.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

Tiberivs

• Miami Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #1352 on: May 17, 2019, 01:00:47 PM »
What’s an expected price for a 45 gallon jaboticaba already fruiting?

hawkfish007

• Highland, CA, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #1353 on: May 17, 2019, 01:06:26 PM »
should grow right out of it, they swallow wounds like the blob...

i got some with really bad wounds and they seem to heal with no help...

but i'm sure unlucky trees can decline in rare cases...i'd probably just leave it alone, and try not to get that part saturated too much...

How deep is the cut?

Good to know, thanks.

Tiberivs

• Miami Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #1354 on: May 18, 2019, 03:40:10 PM »
I’m excited!!  :D now to find a spot to plant it.

« Last Edit: May 18, 2019, 03:43:23 PM by Tiberivs »

fisherking73

• Hollywood (Broward county), Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #1355 on: May 18, 2019, 03:55:15 PM »
I paid I think $200 or so for my 25 gallon red jabo (not the easiest thing to find) and it began fruiting in December and was planted last July 2018.

hawkfish007

• Highland, CA, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #1356 on: May 19, 2019, 06:19:08 PM »
Does anyone water their potted jaboticabas through saucer/kiddie pool/stock tank below the pot? Instead of watering from the top let water soak up through bottom since Jabos like wet feet?

Tiberivs

• Miami Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #1357 on: May 20, 2019, 03:07:36 PM »
I paid I think $200 or so for my 25 gallon red jabo (not the easiest thing to find) and it began fruiting in December and was planted last July 2018.

Thanks yea I ended up going to a couple of different places ended up with a 45 believe it’s sabrah. Didn’t have fruit or flowers but looks like it’s big enough to start any moment.

hawkfish007

• Highland, CA, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #1358 on: June 20, 2019, 12:27:03 AM »
Does anyone water their potted jaboticabas through saucer/kiddie pool/stock tank below the pot? Instead of watering from the top let water soak up through bottom since Jabos like wet feet?

I wanted to post an update, I placed a saucer under red jabo from plantogram about a week ago. Newer leaves are broader and longer, it must like its feet wet. Sabara isn’t showing any noticeable difference but new leaves are pushing.

hawkfish007

• Highland, CA, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #1359 on: July 29, 2019, 01:19:34 PM »
Something is eating my jabo leaves in a half circle, mostly young growth. I don’t see any leaf cutter bee around. Is there a way to prevent it from happening?

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #1360 on: July 29, 2019, 02:03:16 PM »
If you were in Florida it probably would be the Sri Lankan Weevil
which is active at night. I hope you don't have them out there and
never get them.
I sprayed allot of poison on them and finally found one that works.( for a while)

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #1361 on: July 29, 2019, 03:22:17 PM »
Do many people prune their jabos? I have done some thinning after a Brazilian friend recommended it - and the tree is pushing a TON of fast growth. Long branches and big lines of new leaves, that are much bigger than the older ones.

hawkfish007

• Highland, CA, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #1362 on: July 29, 2019, 03:52:27 PM »
If you were in Florida it probably would be the Sri Lankan Weevil
which is active at night. I hope you don't have them out there and
never get them.
I sprayed allot of poison on them and finally found one that works.( for a while)

I am in SoCal, hopefully it hasn’t reached here yet. On that note, could this be one? I found it under topsoil in my jabo pot.

Edit: found a picture of it online, seems like a ten lined June beetle, also harmful.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2019, 04:08:18 PM by hawkfish007 »

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #1363 on: July 30, 2019, 01:23:47 PM »
My current growth flush

BR

• SWFL
    • View Profile
« Reply #1364 on: August 02, 2019, 07:38:47 PM »
Can someone help me with my 8/9 y.o. Sabara? Tree fruits but only 1-2x/year with a smaller yield (considering its size). I know it needs pruning so I took out a lot of the lower branches and the smaller branches growing off the trunks inside the tree.

Should I keep pruning the lower branches? Thin it out at the middle? Leave it and see how it fruits since pruning? I'm really not sure! Pictures are before pruning, after pruning, then inside the tree. Thanks!

OCchris1

• Old Towne Orange, CA 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #1365 on: August 03, 2019, 01:56:39 AM »
Hey BR! You've done a good job so far. Just need to make sure the center of the tree gets the most light for a good crop. The "haircut" should give you a nice subsequent crop. Make sure to prune any branch pointing inward towards the center. The tree will rebound quickly and quite possibly fruit.

-Chris

OCchris1

• View Profile
« Reply #1366 on: August 03, 2019, 01:58:01 AM »
P.s you could cut the fat bottom branch if you're a fan of symmetry.
-Chris

BR

• SWFL
    • View Profile
« Reply #1367 on: August 03, 2019, 06:34:25 PM »
Thanks for the great advice Chris. I made some cuts today but still some more to go. I don't think I have the heart to cut that fat bottom branch, haha.

Expect another picture from me when it's trimmed up some more!

OCchris1

• View Profile
« Reply #1368 on: August 04, 2019, 02:01:12 AM »
No worries! I've been there.
-Chris

Acacia

• Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #1369 on: August 24, 2019, 04:07:32 AM »
Has anyone grown sabara from root cutting? I have a fresh cutting from a mature tree. What is the expected time for a grafted sabara to fruit?

All the fruit

• Germany
    • View Profile
    • Youtube: all the fruit
« Reply #1370 on: August 24, 2019, 06:29:22 AM »
Greetings from Germany,

people grow very tasty jaboticaba here, too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGk-H2VbLK4&list=PL2AyaQ9frDUvfkZLkUQg3-Tz62I5sFoVa&index=24

Ertdude

• US, Puerto Rico
    • View Profile
« Reply #1371 on: August 24, 2019, 08:09:48 PM »
Has anyone grown sabara from root cutting? I have a fresh cutting from a mature tree. What is the expected time for a grafted sabara to fruit?
I have a large Sabara Jaboticaba plant apparently grown from a cutting, but I didn't do it myself so I cant say 100%. However I have talked to FlyingFoxFruits a lot and I was told Jaboticabas can be rooted from cuttings but that they are difficult and even he has had trouble.

Acacia

• Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #1372 on: August 25, 2019, 05:24:39 AM »
I should have been more clear. I have a cutting of a root sucker with leaves and roots coming off a mature plant. I'm pretty sure that is what it is unless it was a buried low branch. Either way it has roots and leaves. It is only a few days old. I read that cuttings do not wilt for a long time and sometimes flush growth without growing roots so I guess I will be waiting a while to find out if it worked.

I have a large Sabara Jaboticaba plant apparently grown from a cutting, but I didn't do it myself so I cant say 100%. However I have talked to FlyingFoxFruits a lot and I was told Jaboticabas can be rooted from cuttings but that they are difficult and even he has had trouble.

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #1373 on: August 25, 2019, 11:18:24 AM »

it's true!  difficult to root if you don't know what you're doing, but easy to do if you know what's up...it's all about climate control, and pH...gotta have cool temps below 92F and subdued lighting, and low pH
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

FMfruitforest

• Tropical Fruit
    • USA, FL,zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #1374 on: September 01, 2019, 05:40:39 AM »
I got a lil baby Grimal Seedling and was wondering how mamy years this cultivar takes to flower.