Author Topic: Durian: Smells Putrid...Tastes Awful!  (Read 15605 times)

boukmn

• Florida
    • View Profile
Durian: Smells Putrid...Tastes Awful!
« on: December 24, 2013, 07:49:59 AM »
I am currently on vacation in St Petersburg florida where I happened upon a vietnamese grocer who had frozen durian for sale..  after all the durian talk I read in this group, I forked over the $9 odd for a small fruit.  I was warned by the shop cleark that "it smels bad but tastes good".

After thawing I cut it open and it seems to work like a jackfruit. It did smellbad but it tasted god-awful!!
Has anyone had this experience with frozen Durian but loved fresh?

I need to be clear, this was a whole durian fruit.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2013, 07:53:28 AM by boukmn »

bangkok

• View Profile
Re: Durian: Smells Putrid...Tastes Awful!
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2013, 07:54:59 AM »
If you buy them fresh and peeled they almost don't smell. I never ate a frozen one though and have no plans to try that. Also they will taste better in the ultra-tropics where everything has a strong smell.

Michiganian

• USA, Michigan, Grand Rapids - USDA Zone 5B
    • View Profile
    • My iStock Portfolio (Photos & Illustrations)
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2013, 08:00:12 AM »
Maybe it was the variety you got. The only durian I've ever had a chance to taste was one I also bought whole from an Asian market, frozen. I thawed it, it smelled bad, but I actually liked the taste.
~ Cassandra

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2013, 08:27:39 AM »
I am currently on vacation in St Petersburg florida where I happened upon a vietnamese grocer who had frozen durian for sale..  after all the durian talk I read in this group, I forked over the $9 odd for a small fruit.  I was warned by the shop cleark that "it smels bad but tastes good".

After thawing I cut it open and it seems to work like a jackfruit. It did smellbad but it tasted god-awful!!
Has anyone had this experience with frozen Durian but loved fresh?

I need to be clear, this was a whole durian fruit.

Not sure if this is a situation where you just do not like the taste of durian or you got a bad fruit.  Could you further explain your description of "god-awful?"
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2013, 09:03:14 AM »
Yes maybe it was a bad one.

Did you ever smell prawnpaste? Also smells terrible but tastes good. Or fish sauce made of fermented fish which has been rotting in a jar in the sun for many weeks. Some things you have to eat in their local environment and fresh.

Can you explain what is nice about eating cheese? I like cheese because it is fat and gives loads of energy to stay warm. In the tropics you eat different things then cheese and durian is one of them, also high calory which is nice if you eat rice with chicken or vegy all day.

Triloba Tracker

• Psalms 104:14
    • USA, Middle Tennessee, Zone 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2013, 09:57:49 AM »
There is a HUGE range of quality in frozen durians. I've had a few and they've ranged from astonishingly awful to fabulous.

How long did you thaw it? My first durian I set out for 24 hours or something, which was a huge mistake.

2-6 hours room temp seems about right to be able to easily cut the fruit and preserve the taste.

I'm working on a 5-pound durian that I bought a few weeks ago. I extracted all the arils intact, put them in a half gallon mason jar (only thing that will keep the smell at bay) and stuck them in the freezer.
Then when I want to eat some, I put an aril or 2 in a quart mason jar in the fridge for 2-4 hours (longer seems to degrade the taste).

Don't give up - but choosing frozen durians seems to largely be a crapshoot.

boukmn

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2013, 12:19:20 PM »
Could you further explain your description of "god-awful?"

By god-awful I mean not sour, not sweet.....it tasted like it smelled!  I was not expecting that. It was probably just a bad one. It was the smallest of the lot.  I'll be sure to wait for fresh durian next ttime.

KarenRei

• Arctic Member
    • Reykjavík, Iceland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2013, 12:33:45 PM »
You're hardly the only one who had the same reaction to durian, despite having a totally positive attitude toward eating it (as your shelling out so much money makes clear).  Honestly I think there's a genetic component.  For example, it's already known that people's ability to smell an offensive odor in urine after eating asparagus is genetic - and it happens that some of those same chemicals are among the dozens in durian that contribute to its smell and taste. Likewise with smells, some people can taste things that others can't - for example, to some, cyanide is flavorless while to others it tastes like bitter almonds. Again, genetic.

And gene distributions can vary geographically - for example, 90% of east asians are lactose-intolerant while only 5% of northern europeans are. And the reason is simply that traditional diets in most east asian areas didn't include dairy while in northern Europe dairy was a major component, and people adapted to the foods available in their area. It's not a 100% adaptation, but neither is like / dislike of durian.

Of course that's just one possibility - for example, it could be something that people adapt to with exposure as a child. But as Michiganian and many others on this forum have demonstrated, some westerners  take to durian quickly or even immediately while for many it's just simply disgusting. Which again suggests some sort of genetic component.
Já, ég er að rækta suðrænar plöntur á Íslandi. Nei, ég er ekki klikkuð. Jæja, kannski...

Doglips

• Houston TX 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2013, 12:42:52 PM »
Never had one, seen many, never had the courage, I need a support group to try.
I think they are analogous to stinky cheese or stinky tofu, an aquired taste.
Still I would like to try.

DurianisaDrug

• Fruitarian
  • Me encantan las frutas dulces
    • Ecuador
    • View Profile
    • www.terrafruta.org
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2013, 03:42:07 PM »
Could have been a bad one, how long did u thaw it for? Ive heard of people thawing it for a couples days which obviously leads to it going bad before they taste it. Also it isnt usually a first taste fall in love from what ive seen, first its like.. wth then2 or 10 later your addicted like a crackhead.. personally Iive oonly had frozen and ive had maybe 300 ofthem and maybe 50 were terrible enouh not to eat, some stiff u ripe flesh so e tasted bad some tasted awesome. Id keep em in my fridge and thaw them on a fan for 2 or 4 hours when I wanted one. Also id tend to buy a small golden bulgy durian before a massive one or one thats overly brown or expecially green. Justt my 2 cents.

starling

• Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2013, 06:55:23 PM »
I will never understand the obsession with Durian/ Jackfruit. A lot of people like them though, so maybe I'm abnormal. To me, it tastes like  fermented quiche.  Awful to my taste.
Arpeggiated Minor Sevenths: They're pretty, and they'll make women want to have sex with you.

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2013, 07:21:31 PM »
I will never understand the obsession with Durian/ Jackfruit. A lot of people like them though, so maybe I'm abnormal. To me, it tastes like  fermented quiche.  Awful to my taste.

I wouldn't put durian and jackfruit in the same category. A lot of jackfruit actually tastes good while I've yet to come across a good tasting durian. I keep on trying every durian I come accross though in hopes of enjoying it as much as others do.

boukmn

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2013, 07:23:35 PM »
Durianisadrug;

I got it home and let it sit for 1.5-2.5 hrs not sure exactly.  It was thawed well enough. 

The trouble is I lOVE Jackfruit!!  I've been buying at the Yellow Green Farmer's market every weekend for the past 5 months.  I even got one weekend before last.  I love all three varieties that they get in.  Generally, fruit for me is on a scale of "bland-n-tasteless" (ex: Dragon fruit) to "stunning-n-unforgetable" (ex: the Mangoseen I once had as a child).  Fruit is never "bad" for me....till that frozen Durian.  Fermented quiche, you say?  That's actually close to what I felt and tasted....

At first I thought KarenRei was a bit "out there" with the genetic notions...but now i'm not so sure especially after seeing murahilin's multi-durian oddessy.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2013, 07:35:52 PM by boukmn »

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2013, 08:29:30 PM »
2 possibilities, at least. Your frozen durian was not in the best of states when you ate it. But then what frozen fruit ever is? It's easy to pawn of under ripe or over ripe durian fruits. Once they are frozen and shipped who's going to complain?
The other factor is that durian is a bit of an acquired taste. Kind of like drinking beer. What person likes beer the very first time they taste it? Yet beer sells very well, and so does durian! So obviously there's something positive to be said for both.
Oscar

KarenRei

• Arctic Member
    • Reykjavík, Iceland
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2013, 08:48:48 PM »
I can't speak for boukmn, but mine was literally defrosted in my mouth, it was barely out of the freezer for a few minutes before I started eating it, still frozen solid. And I'm often a fan of stinky foods. The flavor wasn't just a little bad, it was like eating something rotting in a sewer.
Já, ég er að rækta suðrænar plöntur á Íslandi. Nei, ég er ekki klikkuð. Jæja, kannski...

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2013, 08:55:00 PM »
I can't speak for boukmn, but mine was literally defrosted in my mouth, it was barely out of the freezer for a few minutes before I started eating it, still frozen solid. And I'm often a fan of stinky foods. The flavor wasn't just a little bad, it was like eating something rotting in a sewer.

How do you know that? You've eaten things in a sewer before?  :o
Oscar

DurianisaDrug

• Fruitarian
  • Me encantan las frutas dulces
    • Ecuador
    • View Profile
    • www.terrafruta.org
« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2013, 09:00:37 PM »
If u aint got nothing nice to say, stfu and pass the durian my way hahaha

Triloba Tracker

• Psalms 104:14
    • USA, Middle Tennessee, Zone 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2013, 10:59:01 PM »
Never had one, seen many, never had the courage, I need a support group to try.
I think they are analogous to stinky cheese or stinky tofu, an aquired taste.
Still I would like to try.
"Cho Dofu" is probably at the top of my list of foods to try. Hoping for a trip to Taiwan before I die to taste it and to visit my wife's hometown.

Fruitguy

• Zone 10b - Miami, FL
    • United States, Miami,Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2013, 11:25:33 PM »
My first thought was to step up and defend the durian (after all, it is nowhere as bad as a "good" Surinam-cherry!), but then a brief flash of genius crossed my mind - the more people don't like it (or are turned off by the negative descriptions in this thread), the more for me!!!!!!  :D

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2013, 11:43:15 PM »
Just to settle the controversy about whether durian is good or bad......it is good. Like for some cheese, pate', wines etc it may need a cultured palate to 'get it'.Really jackfruit is nothing like durian and could never stir enthusiasm the same way.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #20 on: December 25, 2013, 12:45:32 AM »
Durian is actually a very bad fruit! That is why some people spend their life writing about it: durianwriter, some travel the world collecting the best types: durlanlover, and others go to foreign countries looking for land to grow vast orchards of durian: durianisadrug. Then there are the whole cultures that think durian is king of all fruits. Yes boukmn all these hundreds of millions of people in love with durian are wrong, and you are right. They are just insane! You are totally "normal".
Oscar

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 25, 2013, 02:56:01 AM »
Here is what we do with them stinky stingy fruits, you shouldn't believe everything you read on the internet:

Monkey Opening Durian

BMc

• Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 25, 2013, 05:55:50 AM »
Durian is actually a very bad fruit! That is why some people spend their life writing about it: durianwriter, some travel the world collecting the best types: durlanlover, and others go to foreign countries looking for land to grow vast orchards of durian: durianisadrug. Then there are the whole cultures that think durian is king of all fruits. Yes boukmn all these hundreds of millions of people in love with durian are wrong, and you are right. They are just insane! You are totally "normal".

So, Tommy Atkins must be the best mango?!?! I thought you were totally anti popularism in fruit stakes and rejected mob rule. 😉

There are some truly awful durians. Frozen monthong can be earth shatteringly terrible. Like rancid coleslaw. If you develop a taste for that you should drink from the gutters of Chinatown Manhattan in mid summer. That putrid cabbage smell was the closest olfactory comparison I can still find.

There are some better durians. Gaan yeow is a step up. Then there are some durians that are good and grow on you and soon you get to really like them. Musang King is in this category.

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #23 on: December 25, 2013, 08:19:40 AM »
If you develop a taste for that you should drink from the gutters of Chinatown Manhattan in mid summer. That putrid cabbage smell was the closest olfactory comparison I can still find.

Now that is some vivid olfactorial imagery.  I often wondered what that smell in China Town was. 
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

boukmn

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 25, 2013, 08:44:28 AM »
I was ready to keep an open mind about Durian till I read the responses.  Especially KarenRey and murahilin's.   It is clear now that it is far less likely that my Durian was "bad" and more likely that I am one of those normal people that "yeech-hack-&-ptuui" after eating Durian. 

Is it an acquired taste? Well.... How many of you Durian lovers were actually first disgusted by the taste of Durian and somehow "acquired"  the taste later?  Be honest now....

My guess is you liked it the first time and kept on eating it, right?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk