Author Topic: NY Jaboticaba and other happenings 2020  (Read 1340 times)

bonman

• USA, NY
    • View Profile
NY Jaboticaba and other happenings 2020
« on: June 23, 2020, 07:46:11 PM »
My Jaboticaba grafted plant - aureana, grimal, red hybrid, trunciflora flowered and fruited this year (only the red and grimal have been producing for several years, the others I grafted and still waiting patiently). I harvested a few and waiting for the rest to ripen. It's best to harvest when there is still a sheen to the fruits as that is where fruit has best ratio of acid/sweet in my opinion - but its still tasty even when the skin turns turns dull. I would say on that tree there over dozen fruits waiting to ripen now. Grimal is bigger fruit compared to the red and seeds are just usually just 1 or 2 per fruit. Jaboticaba are pretty easy to grow and maintain here in NY and the fruits are unique. It's definitely a plant that should be worth considering if you want to grow something different in the Northeast - I'm growing it in a 7 gallon container and it fruits quite heavily for its size. Just water it more often as it seems to need lots of it, especially during the summer and when it fruits.

Lemon drop mangosteen has flowered nicely and on all branches, hoping for a good harvest this year. Last year had some nice sized ones.

Kwai Muk is starting to have multiple flower buds in pretty much all the branches, will see if it sets fruit or not this year.

Barbados Cherry has flowered profusely but fruit set seems to be very poor/non-existent for some reason.

That's just a small part of the garden, waiting to see if other plants will be able to set fruit like suger apples, grumichama, pickering and Maha Chanok. Last year harvest of Maha:

Just wanted to share a little bit of the garden to this forum.

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
Re: NY Jaboticaba and other happenings 2020
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2020, 08:02:39 PM »
Impressive collection.

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2020, 08:22:08 PM »
Amazing work doing that in NY.

Jaboticaba45

• Check out TN Tropical Fruits!
  • Tropical Fruit Tree Connoisseur
    • Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2020, 09:36:16 PM »
What do you fertilize the jabos with? have a sabara in a 15 gallon and about 5 feet tall and still waiting for fruit. :'( Keep up the good work!

bonman

• USA, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2020, 10:41:17 PM »
For fertilizer, in the spring, i just remove a bit of the top soil, add in with new soil a palm plant mix. Cover with mulch to aid in water retention. During the summer months, about twice a month, i'll use a very diluted fish fertilizer mix 5-1-1 and i'll add in soil acidifier and other micro nutrients. It's all heavily diluted. Basically whatever is appropriate for 5 gallon mix, it will be used as a 10 gallon mixture.

I feel less of the nutrients but fed more often is better since its all in containers. I don't want to run the risk of fertilizer burn.

I also have sabara in 7 gallon container, it fruits but poorly unlike the one in the pics. The sabara trunk and height is much bigger, so I was expecting tons of flowers but it still seems to prefer to flower lighlty on the ends of the branches instead of the trunk. Still working on it.

I would suggest having a different variety of Jaboticaba as a backup. For me, space is a premium so I went with a 4 way grafted plant. That way, one plant can keep me busy with 4 different varieties of fruit and I only have to haul back one plant during the winter.

The grafted one I'ved had for several years now, I've gotten fruit from it the last 4 years so not too bad.

bonman

• USA, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2020, 11:14:16 PM »
I mentioned that I had grafted truniclfora, actually it is coronta restinga. That is the correct variety.

bonman

• USA, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2020, 12:13:09 AM »
Incredible how much juicy, ripe and beautiful grimal jaboticaba fruits are on this small trunk. Tried it when it just turned that deep, dark color and it was much better tasting. A winner for sure. I have a Myciaria phitrantha that I grew from seed and its doing quite well which I'm thinking I might just graft a Grimal onto that as well for my second cocktail tree. I've had times where it flowered and fruited twice in a year so crossing my fingers.

Wanted to show my Lucs Garcinia plant thats in a 7 gallon container for the past 4+years or so. Definitely a slow grower but every year I get new growth and hope the garcinia gods will favor me with flowers and fruits. One day....

Pickering mango flowering, had some die back last year, but it's sprouting new growth and flowers. A very tough plant that stays small and puts the majority of output into flowering and fruit production.

Barbados Cherry finally setting fruit by some miracle. Now to see if I can keep these away from the birds.

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2020, 12:57:15 AM »
Awesome collection especially considering your location. Jaboticabas are awesome fruit. Great going fruiting mango in NY!

Simon

Jabba The Hutt

• Appleton, New York, 6b/Pine Island, Bokeelia, Florida 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2020, 09:03:08 AM »
Very impressive from a fellow New Yorker! From Buffalo/Niagara Falls area, what part are you in if you don't mind me asking?

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2020, 10:43:27 AM »
Very nice collection of Jabo's impressive that you have cocktail tree's excellent work ;) 8)

bonman

• USA, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2020, 03:41:55 PM »
I'm in the Queens North area. My yard isn't big so cocktail all the way. I also grow the typical fruiting stuff you find in the Northeast like grapes, raspberries, blueberries, etc.

Not related to tropical fruit but I figured I throw this pic of my harvest of black raspberries, red raspberries, blueberries and currants I just picked a few days ago and I'm still picking at it even today.

So even if my tropical fruits don't produce, I'll at least have something to harvest and enjoy.