Author Topic: Selling Stinking Toe Fruit - Algarroba  (Read 3402 times)

Ertdude

• US, Puerto Rico
    • View Profile
Selling Stinking Toe Fruit - Algarroba
« on: June 03, 2019, 03:48:17 PM »
Hey I was walking around my land and found a bunch of these on the ground. Theres probably 50+ mature fruiting wild Stinking Toe trees on my land. I know there a few species, but I'm assuming this is the common hymenaea courbaril.

I found over 100 so far all in the same spot. I can do $2 + shipping a fruit, or discounts in bulk.

They fall to the ground when ripe and have a very hard shell, so no damage occurs and they store for a while, these all fell a couple days ago or today.

As I find more I will update this post. Theres so many trees here so save this post if interested in these fruits.

« Last Edit: June 14, 2019, 12:03:17 AM by Ertdude »

Ertdude

• US, Puerto Rico
    • View Profile
Re: Selling Stinking Toe Fruit - Algarroba
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2019, 04:23:27 PM »
Found 14 more to the original 13 I found. 27 total. Updated the post. Also reduced the cost from $5 to $3 a fruit.

Ertdude

• US, Puerto Rico
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2019, 11:56:58 AM »
Bump, also found more, will updated quantities soon. If I find over 50 I'll reduce the price as well!

Ertdude

• US, Puerto Rico
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2019, 01:29:08 PM »
Found over 100 fruit reduced price to $2 each.

stuartdaly88

• Phytomaniac
  • Zone 9b/10a
    • South Africa, Gauteng
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2019, 03:35:56 PM »
Worldwide shipping or USA only?

Any idea on how tropical these are on a scale of  Cherimoya to breadfruit ha ha?
Patience is bitter, but its fruit is sweet.
-Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Ertdude

• US, Puerto Rico
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2019, 03:54:58 PM »
Worldwide shipping or USA only?

Any idea on how tropical these are on a scale of  Cherimoya to breadfruit ha ha?
I will ship anywhere on Earth. And I think it's closer to cherimoya it can handle subtropical weather, here's more information
http://tropical.theferns.info/viewtropical.php?id=Hymenaea+courbaril

wonderfruit

• US, Florida, Fort Lauderdale, 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2019, 11:42:28 PM »
I m Interested in stinky toe. Can I have your email address please?
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Ertdude

• US, Puerto Rico
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2019, 12:01:49 AM »
Pricing updated was way too high. Over 100 fruits available now.

Ertdude

• US, Puerto Rico
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2019, 11:45:12 AM »
over 300 fruits now, find more falling everyday

SilverSapote

• United States, Central Texas, 8b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2019, 08:49:48 PM »
Thank you very much! Just got mine in the mail. That was some fast shipping and carefully packed too, even though they'd probably handle all sorts of rough handling. Had to crack the pods open outside on concrete.

It does live up to the name, but nothing that permeates a strong odor throughout the room like guava, jackfruit, or durian. The pulp texture reminds me exactly of protein powder and the taste has a nice vanilla custard flavor. Can't wait to try them in a shake.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2019, 09:00:28 PM by SilverSapote »

Ertdude

• US, Puerto Rico
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2019, 09:34:16 AM »
Thank you very much! Just got mine in the mail. That was some fast shipping and carefully packed too, even though they'd probably handle all sorts of rough handling. Had to crack the pods open outside on concrete.

It does live up to the name, but nothing that permeates a strong odor throughout the room like guava, jackfruit, or durian. The pulp texture reminds me exactly of protein powder and the taste has a nice vanilla custard flavor. Can't wait to try them in a shake.
No problem thanks a lot as well glad you were able to enjoy them so far. I actually haven't tried them in shake form yet. I also wanna try an ice cream made with it too.

I have it near a box of local mangoes and the mangoes are way stronger than the Algarroba.

Ertdude

• US, Puerto Rico
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2019, 09:43:38 AM »
I also sold out the last batch of fruits and just collected over 100 fresh ones today. I'll make sure to post a photo of them all.

Looks like the season may be slowing down since some trees don't have anymore pods and wont be producing until next year.

Bartacomus

• SE Texas, zone 9a, close to the coast. acidic clays, hot.. both dry and humid, rare freezes
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2019, 12:50:25 PM »
Stinking Toe Fruits?!  What is this?

i bought some Stink Bean Seeds.. but they ended being Tree-Bean.. (thanks EBAY..)  But i also got some Climbing Wattle which is nice and stinky

Are these good and stinky?  and does anyone know where to score StinkBean seeds?

Ertdude

• US, Puerto Rico
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2019, 01:38:15 PM »
Stinking Toe Fruits?!  What is this?

i bought some Stink Bean Seeds.. but they ended being Tree-Bean.. (thanks EBAY..)  But i also got some Climbing Wattle which is nice and stinky

Are these good and stinky?  and does anyone know where to score StinkBean seeds?

Hey its hymanae courbarii, or another hymanae. Only the fruit pod is "stinky" and I personally dont think it's bad, kind of a sweet protein powder smell.

If you find a source for stink beans I'm interested as well.

Bartacomus

• SE Texas, zone 9a, close to the coast. acidic clays, hot.. both dry and humid, rare freezes
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2019, 02:05:28 PM »
https://www.rarepalmseeds.com/parkia-speciosa?search=parkia%20speciosa

Rare Palm Seeds..  But i dont trust them, because ive never bought from them. Hell they dont even have a description for it.
But at least they Differentiate between Nitta. "TreeBean" which is what i have.  Which smell pretty damn stinky when the seeds rot, and i think the roots has a sulphur scent too.

But i want that STINK BEAN.. those gorgeous.. huge.. funky.. big ol' green beans . That grow in a the big long pods.  We might need to find someone from Asia, thats willing to do scion wood. If it takes a long time to develop.

If you find out about RareParlSeeds.com  let me know too..   I have mixed results with Tradewindsfruit viability.  I ordered from 2 things from Fruitlovers.com but the Yoco arrived rotten and only 1 of the 5 Lembah sprouted. So im not sure how i feel about fruitlovers just yet.  eBAY is a freaking disaster. (except for Uncle Chans Garden on eBAY)  everything that guy has sent me sprouted. everything. Though it was Uncle Chans Garden that sold me Parkia Timoriana as Parkia Speciosa.  And dwarf betel nut palm, who knows what the true Areca palm is.

on the note of Climbing Wattle, that i got from Uncle Chans Garden  Cha-Om..  its a short, acacia looking plant.  Its smells like Garlic and Eggs, richly.. not quite to the Burnt Rubber level of sulphur, but strong.  It tastes a little like Broccoli rabe.. Broccoli greens.   They use it in omeletes.  If youre into stinky stuff. 
which reminds me.. id like a Noni bush, but i cant get those to sprout either.

Ertdude

• US, Puerto Rico
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2019, 10:12:57 AM »
https://www.rarepalmseeds.com/parkia-speciosa?search=parkia%20speciosa

Rare Palm Seeds..  But i dont trust them, because ive never bought from them. Hell they dont even have a description for it.
But at least they Differentiate between Nitta. "TreeBean" which is what i have.  Which smell pretty damn stinky when the seeds rot, and i think the roots has a sulphur scent too.

But i want that STINK BEAN.. those gorgeous.. huge.. funky.. big ol' green beans . That grow in a the big long pods.  We might need to find someone from Asia, thats willing to do scion wood. If it takes a long time to develop.

If you find out about RareParlSeeds.com  let me know too..   I have mixed results with Tradewindsfruit viability.  I ordered from 2 things from Fruitlovers.com but the Yoco arrived rotten and only 1 of the 5 Lembah sprouted. So im not sure how i feel about fruitlovers just yet.  eBAY is a freaking disaster. (except for Uncle Chans Garden on eBAY)  everything that guy has sent me sprouted. everything. Though it was Uncle Chans Garden that sold me Parkia Timoriana as Parkia Speciosa.  And dwarf betel nut palm, who knows what the true Areca palm is.

on the note of Climbing Wattle, that i got from Uncle Chans Garden  Cha-Om..  its a short, acacia looking plant.  Its smells like Garlic and Eggs, richly.. not quite to the Burnt Rubber level of sulphur, but strong.  It tastes a little like Broccoli rabe.. Broccoli greens.   They use it in omeletes.  If youre into stinky stuff. 
which reminds me.. id like a Noni bush, but i cant get those to sprout either.

I have bought a lot of seeds from rarepalmseeds including very rare seeds and they have germinated and grown successfully. Same with tradewinds so i would definitely recommend both. the yoco seeds I got also arrived in bad condition from fruitlovers, but other seeds I have gotten like java almond, lemba, bully tree, chicle, and others have sprouted.

Does the whole climbing wattle plant emit an odor, or only parts of it? I am definitely interested in growing that. Noni grows wild here especially on the beach, could possibly send you fruits/seeds/cuttings/plants. I probably grow other plants that emit strong odors I just need to think and go through them.

Bartacomus

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2019, 07:48:07 PM »
I only have a couple and they are no where near several feet tall. To me, Cha-Om dont seem to omit an odor until disturbed, and the ones i have that are neglected arent very strong.
But when they are green, and the leaves are soft to the touch, i can smell a pinch between my thumb and finger at arms length.  I didnt have room in my garden so mine have stayed in small pots.
I havent had the chance to use them yet.

I certainly would be interested in some Noni. Keep us updated. Im guess they are hard to germinate because the seed is old? IDK. Fresh Noni, might draw some interest certainly.

Hey, what do you think about that Chicle?

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2019, 01:25:14 AM »
If you like the garlick and sulphur smell,the Toona Sinensis its a verry cold hardy mahogany tree that has edible leaves with strong smell.

Ertdude

• US, Puerto Rico
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2019, 06:49:31 PM »
I only have a couple and they are no where near several feet tall. To me, Cha-Om dont seem to omit an odor until disturbed, and the ones i have that are neglected arent very strong.
But when they are green, and the leaves are soft to the touch, i can smell a pinch between my thumb and finger at arms length.  I didnt have room in my garden so mine have stayed in small pots.
I havent had the chance to use them yet.

I certainly would be interested in some Noni. Keep us updated. Im guess they are hard to germinate because the seed is old? IDK. Fresh Noni, might draw some interest certainly.

Hey, what do you think about that Chicle?

I will definitely keep you informed about the Noni, I have read they take a long time to germinate but have never germinated seeds myself.

Only 2 chicle have sprouted and I think I messed up the other 1 so theyre still small. It seems like a very cool plant especially since I read its a dwarf plant. I can provide more information as it gets bigger.

Bartacomus

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2019, 10:04:03 PM »
How Big do the Mahogany Family get?

Hey man! I finally got those Parkia Speciosa.  At least they really look like it this time. Pretty damn stinky too.  Thats also a Noni sprout. From Spring.. totally forgot about it.. it just showed. Now to get it through winter. Did your noni ever drop their fruits?