Author Topic: Growing Haas avacado in FL from seed  (Read 1584 times)

Moringa Maid

• Clearwater, Fl
    • View Profile
Growing Haas avacado in FL from seed
« on: July 07, 2014, 07:29:39 PM »
We have a haas avacado tree about 15 feet tall now with avocados on it.  We got the plant from a nursery about 3 years ago. We bought it because we were told that if you grow one from an avacado from the store, that it wouldn't bear fruit. However a friend of mine has one she grew from an avocado from the store and it does have fruit on it.  SHE was told if it's an organically grown avocado, it WILL bear fruit.  Who has had similar experience?  Was it an organically grown avocado?

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Growing Haas avacado in FL from seed
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2014, 08:23:37 PM »
My neighbor has an avocado tree that is shading out some of my yard  :-\  It must be 20 ft tall.  He has gotten other grafted trees before, so i assumed that it was a grafted tree.  It didn't bear any fruit last year.  This year, it has some fruit on it.  Maybe about 20-30 (sparse in the canopy but consistent throughout the tree).  I just found out last week that he planted it from a store-bought hass avocado.  There is a language barrier so i can't truly confirm any of this, and i just moved in 14 months ago, but I will try to keep you posted as the fruit matures.
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
Re: Growing Haas avacado in FL from seed
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2014, 10:29:00 PM »
Avocados grown from seed will certainly bear fruit.  Seedling grown avocados have been bearing fruit for thousands of years.  However, there are two types of avocados, A and B avocados.  One produces its pollen in the morning and the other one produces its pollen in the evening.  For a large crop of fruit it is best to have one of each type for good pollination. - MIllet

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk