Author Topic: Seed ID help please  (Read 1763 times)

Coach62

• Naples, FL Zone 10a
    • View Profile
    • Naples Home Inspections
Seed ID help please
« on: September 01, 2018, 10:57:46 AM »
Well, I bought what was advertised as 50 purple mangosteen seeds off of Amazon, in hopes of improving on a grafting experiment done in the 1960's that seemed to have good success.  https://fshs.org/proceedings-o/1966-vol-79/399-401%20(CAMPBELL).pdf

Well, I'm not sure what I got, but it sure doesn't look like purple mangosteen seeds, more like lentils of some type???

I'll take pics of the seedlings in a day or two, the seedlings are very vigorous, this is after just 3 days, the first day being a 24 hour soak in water.

I'm hoping they're something at least worth growing..... 

www.ableinspector.com

Stop New Yorking my Florida!

Bruce

Chandramohan

• India, Kerala, Wynad
    • View Profile
Re: Seed ID help please
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2018, 02:00:49 AM »
Those are definitely not Mangosteen seeds. Mangosteen seeds should be atleast 3/4" X 1/2". Those seeds do look like lentil seeds!

Coach62

• Naples, FL Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2018, 05:21:28 PM »
They would have been better off sending raw almonds or something like that, at least purple mangosteen seeds look somewhat like an almond.
www.ableinspector.com

Bruce

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2018, 05:27:05 PM »
You definitely got gipped. Amazing what people do on eBay! Is there any way to report fraud by sellers on eBay?
Oscar

Coach62

• Naples, FL Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2018, 05:56:50 PM »
You definitely got gipped. Amazing what people do on eBay! Is there any way to report fraud by sellers on eBay?

Thanks for taking the time, I was hoping you'd reply.  Any idea what seeds they are?  Lentil??  Something else??

It was actually Amazon of all things, I knew the seeds are very short lived, so I was in such a hurry to get them in a seed starter that I didn't even give it any thought until the next day. 

I did email him and told him I knew they weren't mangosteen and asked what they really were.  I doubt I'll get an honest reply, but if I'm going to make a fraud case I just thought it would be best.

I'm just hoping they're at least something worth growing.  They actually sprouted in 48 hours, 24 of those in a glass of water. 

Again, thanks for taking the time to reply.
www.ableinspector.com

Bruce

DurianLover

• Bali, Indonesia
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2018, 11:33:21 PM »
You can salvage those seedlings by throwing them into your stir fry mix. At least get some use out of them  :D .

Coach62

• Naples, FL Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2018, 11:53:07 PM »
You can salvage those seedlings by throwing them into your stir fry mix. At least get some use out of them  :D .

LMAO!  Maybe sprouts on a salad?
www.ableinspector.com

Bruce

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2018, 05:18:31 AM »

Thanks for taking the time, I was hoping you'd reply.  Any idea what seeds they are?  Lentil??  Something else??

It was actually Amazon of all things, I knew the seeds are very short lived, so I was in such a hurry to get them in a seed starter that I didn't even give it any thought until the next day. 

I did email him and told him I knew they weren't mangosteen and asked what they really were.  I doubt I'll get an honest reply, but if I'm going to make a fraud case I just thought it would be best.

I'm just hoping they're at least something worth growing.  They actually sprouted in 48 hours, 24 of those in a glass of water. 

Again, thanks for taking the time to reply.
Yes they look to me like lentils.
Oscar

ivan79

• Can we Say cachucha pepper.
    • USA,FL,Dade
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2018, 10:04:31 AM »
Man … this reply’s made me Laugh so hard,  THANKS..  ;D

Coach62

• Naples, FL Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2018, 01:12:35 PM »
Update - they agreed to refund my money, including shipping so all is good I guess, but I'd still like to know what I have sprouted in my seedling tray.  I have 50 of them whatever they are.

Anyone want to buy some seedlings?? ;)
www.ableinspector.com

Bruce

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk