Author Topic: Our Fruitcation to Homestead  (Read 11104 times)

geosulcata

• SW FL
    • View Profile
    • Sulcata Grove
Our Fruitcation to Homestead
« on: June 08, 2015, 04:46:29 PM »
My husband and I decided to celebrate our 20th wedding anniversary with a fruit trip to Homestead. Our adventures began on Tuesday with a stop by Going Bananas as soon as we drove into Homestead.

We had talked with Don at the Manatee Rare Fruit Council tree sale last month and brought him down a hua moa that Chris Knight had given us to share with Don. Don and Katie were so kind to spend a couple of hours showing us around their beautiful property and talking to us about their adventures. I loved the way they had their place set up - a tasting table so we could taste a few banana varieties we hadn’t tried yet, but are growing (Saba and Goldfinger). We then saw the tissued cultured plants for sale, and then rows and rows of bananas and some other wonderful fruit trees. We were especially impressed by the way Don had his Lychee trees pruned. They looked beautiful, yet the bottom was much more open than most other mature lychee trees I have seen. It was a great way to begin our fruitcation.

We then headed over to Robert is Here - purchased a couple of smoothies (jackfruit and mamey) and I was able to taste mangosteen for the first time.

As we walked around, I felt like I was sitting on a goldmine back at home after seeing the prices of passion fruit and sea sponges. We tasted all of the honey and agreed that our backyard honey was still our favorite, however, we picked up a jar of Palmetto honey as a thank you gift for my parents who stayed at our home to care for our children and fruit trees while we were gone. We walked around looking for invasive lizards - spotted a couple - and strolled around the property there for a while. I ended up throwing away my smoothie - it was too rich tasting - again, made me appreciate our homemade smoothies. As far as fruit for sale, they had a lot of jackfruit, mangos, mangosteen, passion fruit, and some guanabanas. I liked the way they were marketing their dragon fruit.

The next morning, we started off at Fruit and Spice park as soon as they opened.

There was an Inga out front with fruit - not Inga edulis, but still nice to see. We came prepared with knives, but wish we had brought cutting boards as well. We stopped by the lychee trees in the middle of the park first. There were many ripe lychees on the ground to enjoy (we were the only ones at the park for the first 2 hours). 

Walking along the path, we came across a full grown iguana. We offered him some cecropia fruit, but like ourselves, he wasn’t interested.

We then headed over to the mangos where we sampled a few before coming to the Lemon Merange mangos. Things got serious and we sat down and stuffed ourselves with PPK and several other varieties. We were amazed that no one else was at the park on such a perfect day.

[/img]

We definitely ate our money’s worth in the first couple of hours. We then were able to sample some ripe cinnamon apple, hog plums, small garcinias, Mammea americana, Meiogyne cylindrocarpa, and some other fruits. By this time, it was 11am and one other family had entered the park. We decided to take the tour which was entertaining. We would have liked the map to have more trees labeled as well as individual trees labeled better, but found the park very enjoyable none the less.

As we were leaving, I told the tour guide how much I enjoyed the chock anon mango and she sifted through the mangos she had picked that morning and handed us another one to enjoy. We felt this was a great time of year to go with both lychees and mangos being ripe. We stopped by the Mango Cafe, on site, for lunch where we enjoyed a Cuban and lobster roll.

We then headed up to Fairchild Botanical Gardens. The highlights were seeing all of the colorful lizards, the butterfly garden, the shaded canopy areas with streams, and the Whitman’s fruit pavilion. The fruit pavilion was much smaller than we expected, but we enjoyed seeing the durian tree, the mangosteen covered in blooms, and the chupa chupa tree - one of my favorite fruits (Noris Ledesma said it has yet to fruit). It would have been great to see more fruit trees at the park, but we had a very nice time. As we walked out, we saw a beautiful ae ae banana - the third place we saw these beautiful bananas flourishing on this trip.

We headed back to Robert is Here that night to pick up a jackfruit so we could enjoy the smell for the rest of our trip.

Thursday, we started our day by visiting the fruit stands along Krome Ave (all of them). Our two favorites were Margarita’s (where we picked up some dragon fruit cuttings and had a nice conversation with the lady working there) and Brothers (just next door) where the young girl behind the counter helped us pick out the perfectly ripe guanabana and caimitos for breakfast. We sat down outside and enjoyed our fruit despite being surrounded by flies. Thankfully, they had a nice sink out back for us to wash off our guanabana covered hands. We stopped by a few fruit nurseries in the area (we picked up another Jackfruit, but the nurseries did not have anything we were looking for).

That afternoon, Noris Ledesma gave us a tour of Fairchild farm, her property, as well as a few other very interesting places. This was the highlight of our trip. Noris is always sharing wonderful stories. We sat down with friends of hers that offered us many mango varieties to try - and they sent us home with mangos as well as Homestead Honey lychees. It was my first time trying Okrung - which ended up being my favorite mango that we tried that day. We learned so much and were so thankful that the last full day of our trip was filled with amazing fellowship and delicious fruit.

Friday morning, we had a tour of GRIN in Miami where we picked up some more bananas and other items. Again, we learned a lot and were so grateful for the opportunity to hear about the history of fruit collecting and all of the science taking place in the fruit world - really amazing stuff going on - mind blowing!

We headed home - smiles on our faces, van loaded with fruit and plants, and the smell of jackfruit filling the air.

A Fruitcation was definitely the best way to spend our anniversary. Hopefully we can go to Hawaii or somewhere else to celebrate a future anniversary. Thankful that we planned ahead and were able to pack so much into such a short trip.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2015, 04:55:25 PM by geosulcata »

naturelover

• Zone 10a. Western Palm Beach County
    • View Profile
Re: Our Fruitcation to Homestead
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2015, 04:57:56 PM »
AWESOME - thanks for sharing and Happy Anniversary

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2015, 05:06:40 PM »
What is/are "Homestead Honey lychees"?
- Rob

Tropicalnut

• Phoenix AZ, Zone 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2015, 05:06:46 PM »
What a wonderful trip! Thanks for sharing. This gives me information for my next trip to FL, I just have to plan it at this time of year when those fruit are in season.  ;)

geosulcata

• SW FL
    • View Profile
    • Sulcata Grove
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2015, 05:22:41 PM »
A local grower is selling them - big like sweetheart with a chicken tongue seed but much more flavorful. Only being grown in this one spot in the US. My favorite lychee I have had so far. Apparently, the grower sells the fruit - they are more expensive than other lychees. My husband is still talking about these lychees, makes the lychees in our yard taste inferior now  :)

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2015, 05:25:01 PM »
A local grower is selling them - big like sweetheart with a chicken tongue seed but much more flavorful. Only being grown in this one spot in the US. My favorite lychee I have had so far. Apparently, the grower sells the fruit - they are more expensive than other lychees. My husband is still talking about these lychees, makes the lychees in our yard taste inferior now  :)

Did they say any specifics where the tree originated from?
- Rob

geosulcata

• SW FL
    • View Profile
    • Sulcata Grove
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2015, 05:33:56 PM »

Did they say any specifics where the tree originated from?
No

fisherking73

• Hollywood (Broward county), Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2015, 05:47:48 PM »
Where did you buy the mangosteen?  I frequent Krome, Spice park, and Fairchild and feel robbed!!! LOL have never seen mangosteen for sale, maybe just not been there at the right time.

geosulcata

• SW FL
    • View Profile
    • Sulcata Grove
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2015, 05:58:41 PM »
Where did you buy the mangosteen?  I frequent Krome, Spice park, and Fairchild and feel robbed!!! LOL have never seen mangosteen for sale, maybe just not been there at the right time.
The mangosteen was from Robert is Here. It is by the cash register. They had plenty available last week.

fisherking73

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2015, 06:10:40 PM »
Thanks will stop by there.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2015, 06:54:46 PM »
Mangosteen is commonly available at oriental markets.  Irradiated,  not that fresh but available.
- Rob

fisherking73

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2015, 07:41:41 PM »
Is there a "fresh" option???  I go to my local China Foodtown weekly to see what they got (its what got me in trouble and landed me searching for this type of forum lol)  Have never seen mangosteen there. Everything else it seems.  Got some nice rambutans last week. Maybe a timing issue so will keep checking there.  But definitely stopping by Robert is Here.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2015, 07:47:29 PM »
A real oriental market, not a commercialized super market type..
- Rob

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2015, 08:09:00 PM »
Only fresh mangosteens in continental USA are from Ian's farm in Puerto Rico. He has very limited production and all are sold through distributor (i believe Melissa's). In near future there may be a lot more as 10,000 trees were planted in Guatemala quite a few years ago. They should be able to make into USA without irradiation.
Oscar

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2015, 08:57:27 PM »
Geo this is a great post.  Very great to see and hear of your fruitcation experience.  Great photos!

Triloba Tracker

• Psalms 104:14
    • USA, Middle Tennessee, Zone 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2015, 09:42:59 PM »
Sounds like a blast! Lots of memories from our Fruirism expedition to Homestead a couple years ago.
Jealous that you got to hang with Noris - we did not.
Had the exact same reaction to the Robert Is Here smoothies. ...way too sweet.
I've been dying to repeat the South FL trip, and this makes me want to do it even more.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2015, 09:51:57 PM »
While Robert is Herechas gotten very commercialized comoared to what it was 30 years ago, one thing i recommend over the shakes is a cup of fresh pressed sugar cane juice.
- Rob

fisherking73

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2015, 11:21:52 PM »
Whatcha know about Guarapo lol.  Foodtown is pretty authentic oriental market.  There seafood leaves a bizarre picture in my mind everytime.  Not sure if it is the live soft shell turtles, live eels, or live frogs among other oddities like jellyfish skin

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2015, 12:14:09 AM »
Thanks for sharing your wonderful tropical fruit vacation. I am now on the hunt for a source of homestead honey Lychee air layers.

Simon

fsanchez2002

• FedHomestead
    • Homestead, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2015, 12:49:50 AM »
Geosulcata thanks for sharing your trip; it was great to read! I wasn't in homestead those days but next time come visit. Btw the plants I got from you are doing great!
Federico
Homestead, FL

jcaldeira

• Planet Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2015, 02:11:17 AM »
Geosulcata, thank you for the wonderful trip report.   I envy your access to such an opportunity, and applaud you for taking advantage of it!

John
Applying laws and rules equally to all is a cornerstone of a civilized society.

starling1

• Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2015, 02:55:07 AM »
Those ( Condor?) dragonfruit look amazing.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2015, 05:19:18 AM »
Geosulcata, just had a chance to read your whole post. Sounds like you had a really great and memorable time. Great reporting and photos! What is the colorful blue lizard with gold colored head? Happy anniversay!
Oscar

geosulcata

• SW FL
    • View Profile
    • Sulcata Grove
« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2015, 06:56:17 AM »
Geosulcata, just had a chance to read your whole post. Sounds like you had a really great and memorable time. Great reporting and photos! What is the colorful blue lizard with gold colored head? Happy anniversay!
Thanks!
I think the lizards are called red headed agamas (not native). They were everywhere. We attempted to catch one, but they were very quick. We also saw many baby iguanas and various non-indigenous anoles.

Celeste

geosulcata

• SW FL
    • View Profile
    • Sulcata Grove
« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2015, 06:59:57 AM »
Thanks for sharing your wonderful tropical fruit vacation. I am now on the hunt for a source of homestead honey Lychee air layers.

Simon
I do not think the grower is planning on releasing the plant - he only sells the fruit.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk