Author Topic: Introduce Yourself  (Read 620936 times)

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
Re: Introduce Yourself
« Reply #275 on: July 03, 2012, 02:48:11 AM »
Hi everyone. I'm Xeno (pronounced Zee-no). I'm 24 years old and live in Ventura County, Ca. About a year ago I got the gardening bug and it's been going ok.

A list of fruit trees that I have:
Citrus:  Tango mandarin, Valencia, Washington navel, Cara Cara, Moro Blood, Tarocco Blood, Eureka Lemon, Thornless Mexican Key lime.
Stone: Anna Apple, Gordon Dorsett Apple, Mid Pride Peach, Arctic Star Nectarine, a 3 in 1 asian pear tree (forgot which varieties), Satsuma Plum, and Santa Rosa Plum).
Tropicals: Big Jim Loquat, white and pink skinned dragonfruit, Hak Ip lychee, Brewster lychee, Mauritius Lychee, Angel Red Pomegranate, 2 Wonderful pomegranates, Pink Satin pomegranate, and an unknown longan.
Etc: Heirloom tomatoes, Serrano peppers, Bhut Jolokia pepper, Brown Turkey Fig, Mission Fig, and Pepino Melon.

The majority of these are in pots. Wanting to get a Carrie mango, Timotayo mango, Black pearl Wax Jambu, Kajang starfruit, Giant Bangkok guava, Sapodilla, and a jaboticaba. Also would LOVE a jakfruit, just don't know where to put it. I'm here to gather information on how to grow near the coast. It's hard to find any info regarding growing tropicals in ventura county, even though I'm only like an hour drive north-west of LA county. I feel like I'm the only one growing tropical trees in my area! ;D

Hi Xeno, i know some people in Carpinteria and Moorepark growing tropicals, not too far away from you. I bet there are others in Ventura. If you go to one of the CRFG (California Rare Fruit Growers) meetings in your area i'm sure you can connect with other growers in your area trying to grow tropicals. Their website is http://crfg.org There are also some members from California on this forum, but don't think anyone yet besides you is from Ventura. Welcome to the group!
Oscar

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: July 03, 2012, 04:33:04 PM »
Xeno,

Welcome to the forums, great collection you have there. I have a lot of those same plants are grown in containers. Once you start collecting you can't stop  ;D, its very addictive hobby lol. Especially when the tasty fruits start producing off the trees/shurbs/vines.
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: July 03, 2012, 04:46:56 PM »
Xeno, look in the crfg-la.org website. There's a member in Somis giving a garden tour in August or Sept. He has a lot of Australian fruits and rare fruits in general. We were just talking about Chinese yellow chestnuts yesterday. I had no idea that existed.

Mangomaniac

• View Profile
« Reply #278 on: July 03, 2012, 09:51:14 PM »
Hi Tropicdude, my wifes from the DR and grew up growing everthing from mangoes to coffee and tobbaco.
  Any trouble getting those barerooted plants through customs? Our last visit was to Santiago in Nov.

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: July 03, 2012, 10:02:08 PM »
Hi Tropicdude, my wifes from the DR and grew up growing everthing from mangoes to coffee and tobbaco.
  Any trouble getting those barerooted plants through customs? Our last visit was to Santiago in Nov.

They usually never go through my suitcase, the way I prepare them, is I cut the length leaving it as long as I can, and still able to fit in one of those cardboard tubes used for mailing pictures, blueprints and that sort of thing.  I remove all the soil, then wrap the roots in a damp paper towel. finally I wrap the whole plant in plastic wrap.   so basically it looks like a stick wrapped in plastic.

You may know that mostly what they look for in customs here is electrical appliances and that sort of thing.  Anyway,  Saludos y bienvenido al Foro.
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

Jack, Nipomo

• San Luis Obispo County, CA zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: July 04, 2012, 01:13:53 PM »
I’m Jack, Nipomo.  I live in Nipomo, CA on 1 ½ acres that is heavily planted with mainly subtropical fruiting trees.  Having been here for 36 years, they are quite mature.  I am a co-founder of the San Luis Obispo chapter of the CRFG and have been a member of CRFG from back when there were fewer than 25 members and the monthly newsletter was a few pages mimeographed.  Much of what plantings are amassed here are the result of membership in the CRFG and RFCI in Florida and the generosity of fellow members.  I am a retired science (biology) teacher, have lived in Mexico for half the year on our sailboat since retiring.  Much time spent in Mexico and Central America has enhanced my plantings due to the stickiness of desired seeds etc.  Like most afflicted with this plant thing, I cannot pass up a desired plant and have, as a result, started cutting down mature macadamia trees to create more room.  Those super tropicals live in a greenhouse, but now and then get moved outside, usually to succumb to our winter when I am away in the tropics.

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: July 04, 2012, 03:20:09 PM »
I hear SLO is the largest CRFG chapter. The meetings must be really good.

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #282 on: July 04, 2012, 06:56:01 PM »
A warm welcome to VyVy, Xeno and Jack from Nipomo.  We look forward to your posts about your fruit growing/eating experiences. 

Harry
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

TnTrobbie

• runs with pruners
  • ZonePusher has a spot for that.
    • 10b + 9b FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: July 06, 2012, 12:02:33 AM »
Hello All,

My name is Roberto. Been a lurker for a while as I was a member of the "other" forum.
I had to join to place a vote for my favorite mango- Julie :)
I'm originally from Trinidad and as a kid, I've always liked sweet...flavorfull...mangoes. I don't find fiber objectionable at all- as long as the mango is sweet.
I like Sapodillas too. I currently reside in Pembroke Pines and my yard has:

Mangoes: (yrs in ground, size, fruits bore, comments)
2 Julie (6yrs- 30+ fruit, excellent quality like last yrs.  1yr 7gal tipped)
1 Nam Doc Mai (6 yrs- 30+ fruit, 1/2 of last yrs crop...ranged from watery (5-6) to extremely sweet. teaspoon white sugar each bite sweet)
1 Dot (1 yr 7gal bore 1 fruit...flavorful, rich, delish, then pugged),
1 Pickering (1yr 7 gal, bore 3 H-U-G-E fruit, flavorful, sweet, no coconut hint though)
1 Mallika (1 yr, tipped)
1 Lancetilla (1yr, 7gal tipped)
1 Carrie (1 yr)
1 Cushman (1 yr, pugged)
1 Maha Chanok (1 yr, pugged)
1 Okrung (15gal, bore 2 small fruits tree ripened, sweet and melting)

Sapodilla:
Okutzcab (1 yr 3 gal)
Alano (1yr 7 gal)

Yes, my yard is ambitious. :)
Looking foward to all the mango discussions.
The Earth laughs in flowers. And bear gifts through fruits.
No where to plant it ...but at least I got it. ;)
F*ck squirrels and deers

tropical66

• Seri Kembangan, Selangor, Malaysia
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: July 06, 2012, 07:21:48 AM »
Hi all, my name Faezal from Sri Kembangan, Selangor, Malaysia. I am keen to learn and find the right way to grow tropical plant that originated from the South American and try to get the seeds of the trees, especially seedlings of grumichama and jaboticaba.

I have planted some trees:

1.Dokong
2.Mangosteen
3.Longan
4.Rambutan
5.Chempedak

Regards,

Faezal
There is nothing more beautiful than PEACE - Unite All Mankind.

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • View Profile
« Reply #285 on: July 06, 2012, 07:39:05 AM »
A warm welcome to Roberto and Faezal.  Good to have you both.  Roberto, since you are in Pembroke Pines, where my office is located, please let me know if you are going to be in the area during the week around lunchtime to early afternoon.  We do daily mango tastings and would love to have another opinion on which mango wins the best of the day award.  Faezal....isn't human nature a thing of wonder.  You are growing what we crave and can't really grow and you want what we have and have no trouble growing.  Funny how we are. 

Harry
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: July 06, 2012, 12:43:29 PM »
Welcome all the new people to the forums. Jack it was a pleasure touring your garden, welcome to these forums.
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

TnTrobbie

• runs with pruners
  • ZonePusher has a spot for that.
    • 10b + 9b FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: July 06, 2012, 04:21:44 PM »
Thank you for the warm welcome Harry and nullzero :) .

Harry, thank you for the invite. I would LOVE to taste different mangoes, but it looks like the tasting week is over :(..... :).
In any case, I looked you up and your office is 5 mins away from me. If you happen to have another tasting, I'll definetly pass by :).
Thanks again for the invitation.

Rob.
The Earth laughs in flowers. And bear gifts through fruits.
No where to plant it ...but at least I got it. ;)
F*ck squirrels and deers

tropical66

• View Profile
« Reply #288 on: July 07, 2012, 02:09:51 AM »
A warm welcome to Roberto and Faezal.  Good to have you both.  Roberto, since you are in Pembroke Pines, where my office is located, please let me know if you are going to be in the area during the week around lunchtime to early afternoon.  We do daily mango tastings and would love to have another opinion on which mango wins the best of the day award.  Faezal....isn't human nature a thing of wonder.  You are growing what we crave and can't really grow and you want what we have and have no trouble growing.  Funny how we are. 

Harry

Hi Harry,  thanks for the warm welcome, you are right .....  I wonder and why we will continue to try .... sometimes we always expect something miraculous happened ...... but I have tried to plant saplings grumichama (air-layers plant) in a pot. Its almost 1 year from when I started plant it in the pot.

tropical66

• View Profile
« Reply #289 on: July 07, 2012, 02:11:56 AM »
Welcome all the new people to the forums. Jack it was a pleasure touring your garden, welcome to these forums.

Thanks.....nullzero

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: July 08, 2012, 02:09:50 PM »
Hi all, my name Faezal from Sri Kembangan, Selangor, Malaysia. I am keen to learn and find the right way to grow tropical plant that originated from the South American and try to get the seeds of the trees, especially seedlings of grumichama and jaboticaba.

1.Dokong
2.Mangosteen
3.Longan
4.Rambutan
5.Chempedak

Regards,

Faezal

Welcome to forum Faezal. I've been to Malaysia once (for a day) and I enjoyed it. I visited about 3 or 4 nurseries and I really liked the very wide variety of fruit available.

Are your fruit trees grafted or seedlings?

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: July 08, 2012, 02:11:33 PM »
Hello All,

My name is Roberto. Been a lurker for a while as I was a member of the "other" forum.
I had to join to place a vote for my favorite mango- Julie :)
I'm originally from Trinidad and as a kid, I've always liked sweet...flavorfull...mangoes. I don't find fiber objectionable at all- as long as the mango is sweet.
I like Sapodillas too. I currently reside in Pembroke Pines and my yard has:

Mangoes: (yrs in ground, size, fruits bore, comments)
2 Julie (6yrs- 30+ fruit, excellent quality like last yrs.  1yr 7gal tipped)
1 Nam Doc Mai (6 yrs- 30+ fruit, 1/2 of last yrs crop...ranged from watery (5-6) to extremely sweet. teaspoon white sugar each bite sweet)
1 Dot (1 yr 7gal bore 1 fruit...flavorful, rich, delish, then pugged),
1 Pickering (1yr 7 gal, bore 3 H-U-G-E fruit, flavorful, sweet, no coconut hint though)
1 Mallika (1 yr, tipped)
1 Lancetilla (1yr, 7gal tipped)
1 Carrie (1 yr)
1 Cushman (1 yr, pugged)
1 Maha Chanok (1 yr, pugged)
1 Okrung (15gal, bore 2 small fruits tree ripened, sweet and melting)

Sapodilla:
Okutzcab (1 yr 3 gal)
Alano (1yr 7 gal)

Yes, my yard is ambitious. :)
Looking foward to all the mango discussions.

Roberto, welcome to the forum. You'll get special treatment on the forum for being from Trinidad.

tropical66

• View Profile
« Reply #292 on: July 09, 2012, 12:57:51 AM »

1.Dokong
2.Mangosteen
3.Longan
4.Rambutan
5.Chempedak

Regards,

Faezal

Welcome to forum Faezal. I've been to Malaysia once (for a day) and I enjoyed it. I visited about 3 or 4 nurseries and I really liked the very wide variety of fruit available.

Are your fruit trees grafted or seedlings?

Hi murahilin, thank you for welcoming me, I have both types of grafted and seedling trees. I suggest you visit Malaysia once again, especially when MAHA 2012 in November - Malaysia Agriculture Horticulture & Agroturism Show 2012.

http://www.maha.gov.my/2012/home.html

jez251

• Miami, FL Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: July 09, 2012, 02:15:10 PM »
Hi,

I just found this group and immediately think that it is a valuable resource for any tropical fruit grower. I am also from the Yahoo rare fruit group, and look forward to learning and contributing to this group, as well. I live in Cutler bay, about half way between Miami and Homestead, Florida.

I have always liked the idea of growing my own food, but after getting married and buying a house 4 years ago, and suddenly having a small backyard to be able to plant things, I really started getting into tropical fruits. At first I fell in love with every exotic fruit I learned about and had the grandiose plan of trying to have one of every tropical fruit plant in my tiny backyard. I quickly found out that wasn't going to happen, but it hasn't stopped me from trying. I am growing about 100 different fruit trees, some are seedlings, some grafted, some in pots, some in the ground, all my babies, though.

I will post pics of some of them once they start blooming, like my Abiu which is blooming for the first time. Or my red-fleshed Pitaya, also blooming now...

My hope is to one day retire to a small plot of land in Central Chile where I can grow the usual temperate fruits in that region, plus a greenhouse full of the tropical stuff.

Jaime

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #294 on: July 10, 2012, 01:49:50 AM »
Hi,

I just found this group and immediately think that it is a valuable resource for any tropical fruit grower. I am also from the Yahoo rare fruit group, and look forward to learning and contributing to this group, as well. I live in Cutler bay, about half way between Miami and Homestead, Florida.

I have always liked the idea of growing my own food, but after getting married and buying a house 4 years ago, and suddenly having a small backyard to be able to plant things, I really started getting into tropical fruits. At first I fell in love with every exotic fruit I learned about and had the grandiose plan of trying to have one of every tropical fruit plant in my tiny backyard. I quickly found out that wasn't going to happen, but it hasn't stopped me from trying. I am growing about 100 different fruit trees, some are seedlings, some grafted, some in pots, some in the ground, all my babies, though.

I will post pics of some of them once they start blooming, like my Abiu which is blooming for the first time. Or my red-fleshed Pitaya, also blooming now...

My hope is to one day retire to a small plot of land in Central Chile where I can grow the usual temperate fruits in that region, plus a greenhouse full of the tropical stuff.

Jaime

Hey Jaime, welcome to the forum! You now finally figured out where i've been. HAHAHA
Oscar

jez251

• Miami, FL Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: July 10, 2012, 02:45:18 PM »
Hi,

Jaime

Hey Jaime, welcome to the forum! You now finally figured out where i've been. HAHAHA

Yeah, it took a while, but it's nice to see some very knowledgeable people on this forum! I'm really hoping to see others' gardens, like Adam's recent video!

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: July 10, 2012, 04:40:20 PM »
A warm welcome to Jaime from Cutler Bay.  Glad you joined us!  Sounds like you have a nice little collection going.  You don't necessarily have to wait for bloom to post pictures.  Anyway, nice have another South Floridian in the group.  If you are ever planning to get up to West Broward, let me know, would love to show you around my place.

Harry
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

jez251

• Miami, FL Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: July 10, 2012, 05:20:22 PM »
A warm welcome to Jaime from Cutler Bay.  Glad you joined us!  Sounds like you have a nice little collection going.  You don't necessarily have to wait for bloom to post pictures.  Anyway, nice have another South Floridian in the group.  If you are ever planning to get up to West Broward, let me know, would love to show you around my place.

Harry

I'll take you up in that offer the next time I plan to visit Davie... Thanks for the welcome!

Jaime

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: July 11, 2012, 08:09:37 AM »
Welcome Faezal and Jaime I bet you guys will have a bit to say.

Faezal you have a few species in common with me like dokong,rambutan and mangosteen.You are from Selangor but have no duku,duku-langsat or durian? I can't grow longans because I am too warm so I would be interested to know how you can do it in a warm climate.

Jaime I also grow abiu and a variety of dragonfruit and would be interested to hear about your as well as your overall assemblage.Please race out to the garden and take some pictures for all of us to see.

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: July 11, 2012, 12:15:50 PM »
Hi to all new fellow members,

Mangomaniac, Xeno, Vyvy, Jack, Tntrobbie, Tropical66, and Jez251...Welcome to the forum! 8) :)

I could only find this ''Welcome song'' on you tube...hope y'all like it ;D ;D ;D

Welcome Song

Regards,
Steven
Time is like a river.
You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again.
Enjoy every moment of your life!